Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 151 to 168 of 168

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero View Post
    Hi, SG,
    ....but part of the problem with musicians pay is THE ATTITUDE OF MUSICIANS. They sell themselves short at a drop of a hat because they want to play so badly.
    As Cyrano would say: I thank you---and again I thank you...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So what is a reasonable amount to offer for, say, a guitar\bass\drum trio for, say, two session of around 45 mins each, for a house party?

We are planning a party and I was going to ask my guitar teacher to perform, and I wouldn't want to offend him with some low-ball offer.

I pay $40 for a lesson of around 45 minutes. OR do I just offer him a flat rate for the entire band and leave it up to him what he pays the bass and drummer?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal View Post
    So what is a reasonable amount to offer for, say, a guitar\bass\drum trio for, say, two session of around 45 mins each, for a house party?

We are planning a party and I was going to ask my guitar teacher to perform, and I wouldn't want to offend him with some low-ball offer.

I pay $40 for a lesson of around 45 minutes. OR do I just offer him a flat rate for the entire band and leave it up to him what he pays the bass and drummer?
    Depends on the day, how far he has to travel etc.
    Ask HIM what he charges, dont throw out a price, but keep in mind this has nothing to do w what he charges for a lesson.
    THAT would be insulting

User Info Menu

I agree with the previous post. They have to pack up gear, drive to location, set up their gear, play the gig, tear down their gear, travel back home, unload their gear. That's going to be 3 hours plus to play two 45-minute sets. I would think you would pay at least $50 an hour per person, $50 * 3 people * 3 hours equals $450 minimum. Anything less it's kind of insulting in my opinion . Really though it depends on what they want to charge. I wouldn't be surprised if they charge $1,000, I wouldn't be surprised if they charge $2,000
    B+
    Frank (aka fep)

User Info Menu

Hi, James,
    I'll tell you what I do. At present, I only play solo gigs: usually, a mix of Classical, Bossa, and Jazz. If it is a local gig(within 15 minutes from home), I charge $75.00 minimum per hour. If I play more than one hour-- roughly $65.00 per hour for up to 2 additional hours. So, a 3 hour gig is $200.00. However, most opt for 2 hours which is fine for me since 3 hours is a long gig on Classical guitar. If the travel time is greater, I adjust my rate accordingly. Included in this price is set up, soundcheck for the room and take down. And, in reality, a two-hour gig is really over three hours when you factor everything into the picture. So,in reality, a two-hour gig pays about $50.00 per hour- not much for the skill and time involved. If the owner tries to get a cheaper price, I politely tell him that its not worth my time for anything less but there are probably others with lesser skills who might play for his price. I require 50% down when we sign the contract and the balance due in cash BEFORE I set up my equipment. If they balk at this, you've done yourself a favor since your deal will certainly change at the end of the night in his favor if you get paid at all. That's my deal.
    In answer to your question . . . $75.00 cash per man, per hour-- $450.00-500.00 for the gig. I hope this helps.

User Info Menu

Last year I was asked by a good friend to accompany her for a couple songs at a fundraiser. I rarely turn down a fundraiser.

I didn't ask what the fundraiser was for. I found out later it was local musicians playing for free to raise money to pay outside musicians for a summer concert series.

I won't do that one again.

Unrelated topic.
    I went to one of the summer concerts. I opening act was good. But he appeared in a dirty tee shirt and ripped up jeans. Looked like he slept in a dumpster. What happened to looking presentable when performing. That is another whole discussion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov View Post
    Yeah, people often ignore the demand side when wanting to get paid for music. They say stuff like I've been honing my craft forever and you're paying me for all those years of practice.

Thing is, if no one is interested then you're not getting paid no matter how much you practice. Your Banjo/Accordion duo is just not going to take off
    Roots music like Banjo and accordion is a lot more popular than jazz these days.

Last month I went to a couple of shows- Beppe Gambetta (solo flatpicker) had an audience of about 100 at 25 bucks a ticket.
    The other show, Warren Vache', a great cornet player, had maybe a couple of dozen, tops, at a local restaurant/bar with a $10 cover.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JGinNJ View Post
    Roots music like Banjo and accordion is a lot more popular than jazz these days.

Last month I went to a couple of shows- Beppe Gambetta (solo flatpicker) had an audience of about 100 at 25 bucks a ticket.
    The other show, Warren Vache', a great cornet player, had maybe a couple of dozen, tops, at a local restaurant/bar with a $10 cover.

It was a quick little joke at the end of the post to lighten up the dire subject .. but kinda really frames it all that Banjo/Accordion duos will outperform jazz :O

User Info Menu

For a private or public event $100/hr, 2 hr minimum----BUT if they can't afford that and can prove it, or you know them and they ask for one, give 'em a break...

User Info Menu

"I went to one of the summer concerts. I opening act was good. But he appeared in a dirty tee shirt and ripped up jeans. Looked like he slept in a dumpster. What happened to looking presentable when performing. That is another whole discussion." BBguitar

Hi, BB,
    Don't you know that this type of dress has be come cliche for pseudo-artistic types--some of whom are very well paid. It's the starving artist thing x 10 and the irony is many return to their million dollar mansions or to the comfort of their bedroom in their parents home. But they are free, liberated, unfettered by the constraints of society and express it in their dirty couture chic. Of course, clothes do not the artist make but none of the greats in Jazz or Classical dressed in this manner . . . and then there was Sun Ra.
    Playing again . . . Marinero

https://youtu.be/wUiZoFzU_o0

User Info Menu

"I went to one of the summer concerts. I opening act was good. But he appeared in a dirty tee shirt and ripped up jeans. Looked like he slept in a dumpster. What happened to looking presentable when performing. That is another whole discussion." BBguitar

Hi, BB,
    Don't you know that this type of dress has be come cliche for pseudo-artistic types--some of whom are very well paid. It's the starving artist thing x 10 and the irony is many return to their million dollar mansions or to the comfort of their bedroom in their parents home. But they are free, liberated, unfettered by the constraints of society and express it in their dirty couture chic. Of course, clothes do not the artist make but none of the greats in Jazz or Classical dressed in this manner . . . and then there was Sun Ra.

Doesn't make it right. Personally I would never consider performing in dirty rags. Soap and water is cheap. If someone showed up at work in a fast food restaurant looking like that they would be sent home.

User Info Menu

Hi, BB,

I wouldn't, but I did see Stephane Grappelli in a white t shirt once

User Info Menu

I hired a guy who showed up in a tee shirt and dirty dungarees----but, trust me, he wouldn't know couture from a canker sore. He needed the the $100---LOL...

User Info Menu

Even with a singer and playing more popular jazz related music it’s difficult to ask a lot of money. Last Sunday’s gig in a bar/restaurant:

Place was full, so they had a good turnover. They paid us $300, free drinks and a meal. But I didn’t really try to ask for a lot more. Well, I have the day job to pay the rent, so.......

The good thing is we can also play our own compositions ;-) They liked us and we can come back.

(Btw, watch until the guitar solo starts - my version of Nina’s famous piano solo ;-)
    Jazz, Funk, Soul & Boogaloo: My group | Listen to Hip Jazz a Go Go! | Jazz, Soul, Blues: Eva La Voix

User Info Menu

I like it, Jay. Excellent playing. I hadn't considered playing that solo, but I may have to start practicing it. Nina's version comes up in my shuffle fairly often.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    I like it, Jay. Excellent playing. I hadn't considered playing that solo, but I may have to start practicing it. Nina's version comes up in my shuffle fairly often.
    We played it pretty fast so I was struggling a bit, but alas, haha. I wrote it out for guitar, but I can’t seem to post the pdf here with a free account. PM me your email and I’ll send it!
    Jazz, Funk, Soul & Boogaloo: My group | Listen to Hip Jazz a Go Go! | Jazz, Soul, Blues: Eva La Voix

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay View Post
    Even with a singer and playing more popular jazz related music it’s difficult to ask a lot of money. Last Sunday’s gig in a bar/restaurant:

Place was full, so they had a good turnover. They paid us $300, free drinks and a meal. But I didn’t really try to ask for a lot more. Well, I have the day job to pay the rent, so.......

The good thing is we can also play our own compositions ;-) They liked us and we can come back.

(Btw, watch until the guitar solo starts - my version of Nina’s famous piano solo ;-)
    Nice stuff! Loved the little kids - the rapturous little boy and the dancing girl. Future fans? Please pass the insulin.
    Best regards, k

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74 View Post
    Nice stuff! Loved the little kids - the rapturous little boy and the dancing girl. Future fans? Please pass the insulin.
    Yes there were a lot of families with small kids. The kids seemed to like the music a lot, so I am hopeful for the future of jazz! No more free gigs