The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 50 of 50

User Info Menu

Old thread but this seems good advice....

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

For me, fortunately, it has never happened (at least not in a very very long time). In the first place, I feel that the audience is there to hear me do something that they can't do and wish they could (the occasional musician in the audience is immaterial to me - I don't play to them). In the second place, before I perform a piece to an audience, I've practiced it to the point that I'm so sick of it that I never want to hear it again. I do get a few butterflies on opening night of a theater production but that's more the result of willing all the pieces (music, lighting, actors, sound, blocking, etc) to come together as they should, but not as a result of , my lack of preparation.

User Info Menu

Forget all the hocus pocus! If you know your material, it won't happen. Yes, everyone flubs a few notes or chords but you shouldn't become catatonic. I remember my early days as a guitar banger in the Pleistocene Era when our entire gig was playing 1/4/5 progressions: Louie Louie, Johnny B. Good, Devil with the Blue Dress, Hold on, I'm Coming, Mustang Sally, etc. Then, we really got creative when we threw in some minor chords: Summertime, House of the Rising Sun. I don't know how you can get stage fright when you've got it cold. However, as the music becomes more complex, the dynamics will change but the principle is the same. Know your stuff. When you really know it . . . you want people to listen. Good playing . . . Marinero

joelf Guest
    I never know when anxiety will hit---and screw up my flow. I've played before jazz royalty---nada, didn't bat an eyelash. A day later someone in the band, a musician or non-musician in the audience may look at me funny, or I think they did---in the toilet, or at least it won't be flowing the way it needs to.

Yesterday there was an event in my building, a luncheon for residents. A Hispanic woman asked if there'd be Spanish music. I figured I'd go get my guitar and at least give her a little Besame Mucho while she and the others ate. When I came down with my as-yet-not set up and low volume acoustic, between the echo in the room and the current condition of my axe it was sub-par playing. I did play Besame Mucho for the nice lady (she sang along), and some other songs for maybe 20 minutes total. There was polite applause which was cool, but I was overdriving to hear myself, slamming strings and missing s*&t---mistakes galore. Out of tune like a MF. Yeah, a mild attack of stage fright in a totally nonthreatening setting. A tape was playing in my head: 'You sound like s*&t---and I was succumbing.

I calmed down and sounded relatively like myself about 10 minutes in, and it was cool to play for my neighbors---who really had no clue what I do (though they see me leave most days with a guitar case).

My point: nervousness/stage fright can show its ugly head anywhere, anytime. There's no predicting it, no rhyme or reason. That's the way of all emotions. They just 'are'. And tomorrow also 'is'---and probably no such problems..
    Last edited by joelf; 02-12-2020 at 11:41 PM.

User Info Menu

every time I play on stage, it is the audience who gets fright

User Info Menu

I hope im not resurrecting this thread but it was on the forum front page.

I have played tons of gigs, and have a degree in performance, and you know what? I was real scared to play in front of people for a long time too.. even while getting my degree.. it stifled my ability to perform drastically.

The way that I cured this was to set up "house shows" with neighbors (neighbors are of the same mind as regular listeners regardless of the fact that they know you personally) and get in front of them in the same professional manner that you would an audience in public.

Have chairs set up, and you facing them, and perform the shit out of the music you play for those individuals... In my experience they still don't know when you mess up (or don't care).

I should note, in my experience, it's VERY hard to play for 5 people who can see through the "stage situation" in a living room, rather than being on a stage. Stage settings separate you from your listener, and give you some breathing room. I did maybe five shows, with about 5-6 tunes (about one gigging set per show) and it didn't make a performer out of me... but it was a HUGE help.

TL;DR. --

do a house show for your neighbors once a week until you dont care that theyre listening anymore.

User Info Menu

I once saw Martin Taylor playing solo at Ronnie Scott’s in what would have been a disastrous gig for most people. He came on and only played a couple of notes and suddenly the sound system failed. He wasn’t using an amp on stage, maybe he had a preamp into the PA or something. So he was left standing there unable to play, while the sound guy took about 20 minutes to fix the problem.

But Martin stayed totally calm, joked about it, then started telling anecdotes about life on the road, playing with Stephane Grapelli, etc. He was so relaxed and entertaining that no-one minded that he wasn’t playing. The 20 minutes went by in no time, then when he started playing he had the audience totally on his side and he played brilliantly. I thought it showed total control, as presumably he had no idea how long it was going to take them to fix the problem.

By contrast, when I saw Stanley Jordan there with a similar problem (although I think it was his own sound gear that failed), he got really rattled and started cursing his roadie, the sound guys, everything, right in front of the audience. When he was finally able to play, he had got in such a state that he gave off a really bad vibe, the gig didn’t really go very well.

Yes, I agree. You perform for the audience. Some musicians offer constructive criticism, but others are eager to belittle you.

User Info Menu

"I have played tons of gigs, and have a degree in performance, and you know what? I was real scared to play in front of people for a long time too.. even while getting my degree.. it stifled my ability to perform drastically." Thelonious

Hi, T,
    Were you a classically trained musician? This is quite common when playing for academic juries and, usually, less common when playing in ensembles. I also play Classical Guitar and in the early days of study(CG) despite being a performer of popular music ,at that time, found it very intimidating to sit alone on a stage and perform for a jury. I could always finish the performance but ,usually, never felt I did my best. The best key is to play for others OFTEN and, yes, in a small setting as you described above. Today, I play exclusively solo and love it. What a difference a day makes! Good playing . . . Marinero

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joelf

My point: nervousness/stage fright can show its ugly head anywhere, anytime. There's no predicting it, no rhyme or reason. That's the way of all emotions. They just 'are'. And tomorrow also 'is'---and probably no such problems..
    And today is one of those 'tomorrows'---playing my music exclusively with a good band at a favored venue. I'm not nervous, I'm pumped---and prepared...

User Info Menu

I never know when anxiety will hit---and screw up my flow. I've played before jazz royalty---nada, didn't bat an eyelash. A day later someone in the band, a musician or non-musician in the audience may look at me funny, or I think they did---in the toilet, or at least it won't be flowing the way it needs to.

Yesterday there was an event in my building, a luncheon for residents. A Hispanic woman asked if there'd be Spanish music. I figured I'd go get my guitar and at least give her a little Besame Mucho while she and the others ate. When I came down with my as-yet-not set up and low volume acoustic, between the echo in the room and the current condition of my axe it was sub-par playing. I did play Besame Mucho for the nice lady (she sang along), and some other songs for maybe 20 minutes total. There was polite applause which was cool, but I was overdriving to hear myself, slamming strings and missing s*&t---mistakes galore. Out of tune like a MF. Yeah, a mild attack of stage fright in a totally nonthreatening setting. A tape was playing in my head: 'You sound like s*&t---and I was succumbing.

I calmed down and sounded relatively like myself about 10 minutes in, and it was cool to play for my neighbors---who really had no clue what I do (though they see me leave most days with a guitar case).

I never get stage fright. Almost.

We were playing a Saturday night gig at a little roadhouse we called "The Bucket of Blood" (long story). We're in the middle of a set, the dance floor is packed, there's like one table left in the joint, I'm wailin' away on something, and the door opens. In walks my brother, my sister, their spouses, and my Dad and his CG. They had never heard me play, or shown much interest, TBH. Now, there was no alcohol in the home growing up, so this came as a bit of a shock.

Well, all of a sudden I can't find the fingerboard, let alone notes. Words became garbled mouth noises as the room spun around me. People stopped dancing and turned around to gawk. Total trainwreck. Threw me off my game, for sure.

So deep breath, a couple swallows of Mountain Dew, a nice chat with my family, and I was OK. Back to the bandstand and to form, and every body got home safe and the band got paid and that was that.

Moral: This, too, shall pass.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    I never get stage fright. Almost.

We were playing a Saturday night gig at a little roadhouse we called "The Bucket of Blood" (long story). We're in the middle of a set, the dance floor is packed, there's like one table left in the joint, I'm wailin' away on something, and the door opens. In walks my brother, my sister, their spouses, and my Dad and his CG. They had never heard me play, or shown much interest, TBH. Now, there was no alcohol in the home growing up, so this came as a bit of a shock.

Well, all of a sudden I can't find the fingerboard, let alone notes. Words became garbled mouth noises as the room spun around me. People stopped dancing and turned around to gawk. Total trainwreck. Threw me off my game, for sure.

So deep breath, a couple swallows of Mountain Dew, a nice chat with my family, and I was OK. Back to the bandstand and to form, and every body got home safe and the band got paid and that was that.

Moral: This, too, shall pass.
    Okay.

Now----why do you call it 'The Bucket of Blood'?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero

Hi, T,
    Were you a classically trained musician? This is quite common when playing for academic juries and, usually, less common when playing in ensembles. I also play Classical Guitar and in the early days of study(CG) despite being a performer of popular music ,at that time, found it very intimidating to sit alone on a stage and perform for a jury. I could always finish the performance but ,usually, never felt I did my best. The best key is to play for others OFTEN and, yes, in a small setting as you described above. Today, I play exclusively solo and love it. What a difference a day makes! Good playing . . . Marinero
    I actually had no real classical training and focused entirely on jazz guitar while I was in college. I did develop a classical rep, and did a few sections of bach's works and so forth but it almost seemed like a thing they didn't endorse, and merely had us do for the sake of knowing what it was in general (i felt like my teacher hated teaching me classical tbh).

I really love classical and I really disliked college for music. The professors really didn't help me feel welcome and didn't make me feel valued or skilled at all. I have since stopped playing professionally for the foreseeable future, and have returned to my former profession as an engineer. I did complete my degree, and even in the end, there were many disagreeable moments... All this to say, school for music is probably the worst place in the world to gauge yourself because your around abnormal musicians like yourself who shed many hours.. most people want freebird type stupid shit so they can stare into the middle distance drunk...there are plenty of articles written about why jazz isn't as accepted culturally as it once was, and it comes down to people being scared of things they dont/cant understand both artistically and in life..maybe this can serve as a further reminder that no one hears you when you hear yourself "mess up."

If you are here, you clearly care about your sound, and how you work on your craft and are trying to be the best you can.. Remind yourself that when you play, its them that should be grateful to get to listen to all you have worked for to sound your best.. I have to remind myself of this often, as we start to think.. and we get in this mindset "what if" and none of that is helpful...

**you are great, and you will play great if you believe that, shed hard, and love what you do.. it's that simple.

User Info Menu

Okay.

Now----why do you call it 'The Bucket of Blood'?
    There had been a death in the men's restroom. Whether it was murder or suicide was a matter of some debate, depending on who was telling the story. In both versions, there was a lot of blood involved.

Then there was that time some college punks were making trouble and I got punched in the mouth with a full beer bottle, cleaving my upper lip in twain, before the flying glass nearly severed the ear of my drummer, who was behind me. Six stitches for my face, seven to re-attach my drummer's right ear, two hours waiting for the cops to arrive, another two in the E.R., and a couple of very unhappy (to say the least) wives. So that was more blood, mostly mine.

User Info Menu

^ yikes!! so how was the show??? haha..

and here i thought it was a reference to something benign!

(like this corman flick..with paul horn on sax) hah

what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!

cheers

joelf Guest
    Well now visiting there is on my bucket list.

I'm here through Thursday...

User Info Menu

Well now visiting there is on my bucket list.

I'm here through Thursday...
    Sorry, Joel. I drove by there last week and the joint has been razed to the ground. I could direct you to other disreputable sites of interest. Lunch is on me. The restaurant where I used to play in a jazz trio has a Fra Diavalo Chicken that will melt your face. And the Baked Ziti is world class.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Sorry, Joel. I drove by there last week and the joint has been razed to the ground. I could direct you to other disreputable sites of interest. Lunch is on me. The restaurant where I used to play in a jazz trio has a Fra Diavalo Chicken that will melt your face. And the Baked Ziti is world class.
    The part I'll retain: 'lunch is on me'.

Thank you, Daddy Long Legs!!

User Info Menu

Nick Cave offers a raw narrative that mentions a bar called the Bucket Of Blood in his infamous rendition of Staggar Lee.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Nick Cave offers a raw narrative that mentions a bar called the Bucket Of Blood in his infamous rendition of Staggar Lee.
    I suspect, given the fundamental nature of some of the places we find ourselves in in our professional capacities, that the moniker is not exactly rare.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    ^ yikes!! so how was the show??? haha..

and here i thought it was a reference to something benign!

(like this corman flick..with paul horn on sax) hah

what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!

cheers
    One of my favorite directors ever! And the sax playing!

What gives me stage fright is gear and the Murphy law.. My approach on performing live has more or less been this: When you play for people, make it about them, and make it about the music. Don't bother with the ego much, let it subside, with its expectations, ambitions and inhibitions.

Prepare well, have gear that's in good working order, be honest. If you're a mediocre player or one that makes mistakes (and we all are in one style or another), bring those mistakes onstage with you and work with them. You are not presenting anything else other than you and your involvement with music, for better or worse. Smile through it.

.. as long as it is not my classical guitar degree exams that is... that reminded me of The Pit And The Pendulum flick..

User Info Menu

I will shortly be launching my new coaching website.

Many guitarists on this forum had great results previously with my Benson Picking Tutorial. While I will be making that available again for anyone who thinks this is the time to shed, more importantly I will soon be providing a Tutorial on overcoming Stage Fright once and for all. As someone who also suffered severely from it until 1997 and was at breaking point trying to overcome it, I know what you are dealing with, and once I complete the new Tutorial, I believe you will get the results as many on here did with my Benson Picking Tutorial. If you want to make sure you are alerted when it is available, you are welcome do drop me a line so I don't miss you at: jcstyllesartistnews@jcstylles.com In the meantime, here is a recent performance of one of my groups at Smalls Jazz Club in New York City to lift your spirits:
    Cheers-JC Stylles

User Info Menu

Preparation helps. To me, there is confidence in being overprepared, having the material down cold, having a few fallback solos if my mind suddenly blanks. To me, the key to feeling at home in the situation is to feel mastery of the material.

secondly, once you have messed up in front of an audience on and off through a couple of decades, you learn that it isnt a big deal - something to be avoided, sure, but nobody gets hurt in any meaningful way. Only my pride . Dont fear what isnt dangerous

User Info Menu

And remember, that voice in your head telling you you're not good enough, or gonna fluff it, is just a random thought, albeit your thought. Remember it's not necessarily true. It's just a thought. You can choose to believe it, or to ignore it; do the second one.

User Info Menu

Just play. Few musicians play a perfect performance. How are you going to get better if you don't perform?
    Play live . . . Marinero