The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 38 of 38

User Info Menu

A study of the painting and printmaking greats is fun.

Most of here have probably heard of Marty Grosz, the son of George, but not many know about Jan Dix (1928 to 2019), the son of Otto Dix. The Dix family was already jazz- and swing-mad at a time when you could end up in a concentration camp for it.
    After the war Jan studied music and became a professional jazz trumpet player, but was naturally also fond of the fine arts through his parents' influence. He completed additional training as a goldsmith and then went on to study art. Just like Marty Grosz blessed with wit, charm and humor, he played trumpet well into old age.

Designing your Bands Artwork-dscf5040c-jpg

Here a short musical clip from Jan's 1950's period in Munich-Schwabing:

The question remains how Otto Dix could have sounded on the banjo, here a picture of him playing with his children:

Designing your Bands Artwork-dscf5033c-jpg

Even more interesting would be the question of how Otto Dix's stark pictures from the Weimar Republic might have sounded at the time, or what motifs the father could have designed in terms of his beloved jazz music ...

I have to see everything. Also the very unsympathetic, the very stinky dirty, [...] all the shallows of life. - Otto Dix
    Last edited by Ol' Fret; 09-25-2020 at 04:38 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Wow, I love Dix' paintings, but I did not know about any of that stuff! I'll have to Look some of that up!

Paul

User Info Menu

Jazz is art, and art is longer than life.

Two nice coffee table books about the visual history of jazz - perhaps food for ideas and suggestions. I can recommend the first one (it also covers Otto, but not Jan Dix); the second one should be available in the next days:
    - Jazz and Art - Sharon Jordan - Google Books
    - The Art of Jazz by Alyn Shipton: 9781623545048 | PenguinRandomHouse.com: Books

Diggin' up an old thread, i know. But we printed some new stickers to hand out at our gigs and I just really like them:
    Designing your Bands Artwork-img_20240212_202124-jpg

Paul

User Info Menu

They're all fine art work!
    I like the best the one with the clap on 1&3. Very useful to hand out before the gig starts
    It's a bad habit of us Germans doing so instead of clapping on 2&4. I don't know why...

User Info Menu

They look very cool! Nice retro vibes!

User Info Menu

I do most things myself these days. Did the artwork for my cds, plus most of the gig posters.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Webby
    To get this thing rolling...
    This is one of my latest designs I did for a Gig with my retro-Swing Band:
    Attachment 58564

With this Band I always try to go for a handmade/printed vibe, and always use the same color-scheme. Been studying lots of Propaganda Posters for inspiration.
    This is a cool style. It took me awhile to make out the cat’s ear though; it feels a little cramped. But I dig the vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote61
    [...]
    It's a bad habit of us Germans doing so instead of clapping on 2&4. I don't know why...
    We are also based in germany, and there is a reason we printed those stickers!

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    I do most things myself these days. Did the artwork for my cds, plus most of the gig posters.
    Do you want to share some of your Designs? I'd love to see what you came up with!

Paul

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote61
    [...]
    Genetic reasons probably. Fortunately modern science showes that genes are not fixed; I managed to move the epigenetic switch to clapping on 2 and 4 and to polyrhythms after wanting to play trumpet in a marching band as a kid LOL.

EDIT: Although this video was taken exactly at the place where between 1933 and 1945 you were forced to greet a memorial for the "martyrs" of the Hitler/Ludendorff coup d'etat on November 9th 1923 by raising your right arm, the guys in the preview image are only members of Munich's fire brigade in full dress.

User Info Menu

EDIT: Although this video was taken exactly at the place where between 1933 and 1945 you were forced to greet a memorial for the "martyrs" of the Hitler/Ludendorff coup d'etat on November 9th 1923 by raising your right arm, the guys in the preview image are only members of Munich's fire brigade in full dress.[/QUOTE]

Hold up a minute! Linking a traditional Bavarian costume parade or today's fire department to former activities of the Schutzstaffel SS could be perceived by some as embarrassment.

Coming from a classical background (well, ages ago) I hear that beat thing a little differently. While in most classical, marching and popular music it is 1 and 2 and 3 and 4, in Jazz it's not exactly the other way round or a simple counterpart.
    Even if Jazz listeners clap 2 and 4, the beats basically have the same rights, so it's more like 1 and 2 and 3 and 4, enabling all sorts of slight shiftings - much more rhythmical freedom and expression.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Fret
    Coming from a classical background (well, ages ago) I hear that beat thing a little differently. While in most classical, marching and popular music it is 1 and 2 and 3 and 4, in Jazz it's not exactly the other way round or a simple counterpart.
    Even if Jazz listeners clap 2 and 4, the beats basically have the same rights, so it's more like 1 and 2 and 3 and 4, enabling all sorts of slight shiftings - much more rhythmical freedom and expression.
    You are right, marching music has a strong beat on 1 and 3.
    I think we heard too much marching music in the first half of the 20th century ...

But, not to be too negative, german musical culture has also a rich background on famous classical composers. As you wrote, in classical music the 1 and 3 are also more pronounced.
    Let us take this as the main reason for our habit!

Weber, sorry for hijacking your thread.

User Info Menu

I like the aesthetic of old print work: Login • Instagram