The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 38

User Info Menu

I hope this hasn't been discussed already, but the Forum-Search didn't bring anything up, so.....

How many of you are producing your own Artwork for promoting your Bands? Or do you hire someone to do it for you? Are there certain styles you're trying to go for?

I just want to know how other members on here approach the Visuals of their music.

I've been working on some stuff for my Bands lately and I'm really curious about different approaches!

Paul

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

To get this thing rolling...
    This is one of my latest designs I did for a Gig with my retro-Swing Band:
    Designing your Bands Artwork-rug-cutter-days-jpg

With this Band I always try to go for a handmade/printed vibe, and always use the same color-scheme. Been studying lots of Propaganda Posters for inspiration.

User Info Menu

The French artist Pascal Le Gras was so enamoured of The Fall that he designed their record covers free of charge.

User Info Menu

Webby - Really nice poster!

User Info Menu

I love Jonathan Stout’s retro covers (follow the links below):

Music | Jonathan Stout and his Campus Five

Pick It and Play It | Jonathan Stout

User Info Menu

I made this demo-cover for my group:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Webby
    To get this thing rolling...
    This is one of my latest designs I did for a Gig with my retro-Swing Band:
    Designing your Bands Artwork-rug-cutter-days-jpg

With this Band I always try to go for a handmade/printed vibe, and always use the same color-scheme. Been studying lots of Propaganda Posters for inspiration.
    That looks great! You are obviously multi talented!

User Info Menu

These are great guys!

I'm an art teacher, as many of you know, and bad graphic design is a pet peeve of mine. These would both earn A's in my book.

User Info Menu

Great work Webby,

That's exactly the kind of thing I go for. I like how you were able to achieve something that looks like its on actual paper, with the ink bleed and paper texture.

After years of being happy enough with our designs, I happened upon an english western swing guitar player living in a Sacramento named Chris Wilkinson. He's been doing designs for Western and Rockabilly bands for a while, but I could see he would know what I was looking for. I sent him a folder of inspirational designs I'd been saving for years (1930's-1940's concert posters, 78 rpm album jackets, 78rpm record labels, 1930's-1940's music adds and sheet music covers), and he honed in on the general vibe that spoke to me.

Since engaging him for our last band album, we had him do a logo, a t-shirt design, stickers, a promo poster, and now a brand new solo CD album cover for me. Plus, I've recommended him to several friends who've had amazing designs done for them as well.

You can find him at @stuffbycw on instagram.

Designing your Bands Artwork-01-cover-jpg
    Designing your Bands Artwork-04-back-cover-jpg
    Designing your Bands Artwork-pennant-shirt-test-2-jpg
    Designing your Bands Artwork-poster-cropped-jpg
    Designing your Bands Artwork-01-front-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Designing your Bands Artwork-img_4004-jpg 

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    I made this demo-cover for my group:

I really like that one a lot! It's got a bit of a Blue Note look i think, which I really dig!

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Webby - Really nice poster!
    Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    These are great guys!

I'm an art teacher, as many of you know, and bad graphic design is a pet peeve of mine. These would both earn A's in my book.
    Thanks to you as well!I think you're totally right! bad graphic design can ruin the whole thing for me! I guess it's pretty important to find the right aesthetics to transport your music visually.
    So I guess as an Art-Teacher you've probably been designing stuff for your projects aswell. DO you want to share some of it with us?

Quote Originally Posted by campusfive
    Great work Webby,

That's exactly the kind of thing I go for. I like how you were able to achieve something that looks like its on actual paper, with the ink bleed and paper texture.
    [...]
    Thanks a lot Jonathan!
    I do follow you, aswell as Chris Wilkinson on instagram, and I gotta admit that both of your profiles have been an inspiration for me, so your compliment on my artwork means a lot to me! I actually just recenbtly read an interview with Chris Wilkinson, where he also talked a bit about his technique, and I'm curently tinkering around with some things he talked about there!

User Info Menu

Ah, found back this poster I made quite a few years ago for a guitar duo gig (different style):

(Btw, gitaar is Dutch for guitar ;-)

User Info Menu

Sometimes the free apps help out too. Made these ones in the free Phoster and Poster Maker apps (but it feels a bit like cheating;-):

User Info Menu

Wow there is some cool shit in here! I love all of these! I'm planning to record an album in next year, and i need ideas like that

User Info Menu

Nice graphics. It's important to use retro style design if you play that retro style music, so folks don't even to begin think you might play anything modern. Ain't nobody got time for that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    It's important to use retro style design if you play that retro style music, so folks don't even to begin think you might play anything modern. Ain't nobody got time for that.
    You don't want one of them modern artists turning up and painting you when you are posing for your cover.

Designing your Bands Artwork-jim-hall-jazz-guitar-jpg

Wanna keep up with this...
    I've just updated my Bands Facebook Profile Pic for the new year, wated to share it with you:
    Designing your Bands Artwork-profilbild-neu-jpg

trying to get a bit more of some kind of art deco look.

Paul

User Info Menu

the musician characters look awesome

User Info Menu

Hi guys,

This is my day job! Well, doing graphic art for others that is.

I'd love to do artwork for someone's jazz group (poster/CD) but I've not had too many opportunities. I've done a few music related illustrations/designs, but mostly as a fan or the project somehow relates to the subject (i.e. character holding guitar), so it's in my wheelhouse.

edschlittenhardt

So, I'm going to put this out there if anyone wants to seriously collaborate in the business of doing an illustration/design for their band. I've done a lot of kid-related art, but you can see that there are some music pieces in my portfolio. I wouldn't push my services here but since this topic came up, I'll reveal a bit more about myself beyond randomly posting things that allude to my jazz guitar hobby. PM me if you're interested.

Let me know if this topic reply somehow inappropriate. I don't think it is...again, not trying to push my freelance. It's just what I happen to do.

User Info Menu

Also, while we're on this topic, one of my all-time favorite designers who does posters for bands. Michel Casarramona out of Switzerland! Top-notch illustrator and designer!!

Michel Casarramona - Illustration & Grahpic Design

User Info Menu

I made a very simple poster that we now use for the social media, with our name as a logo that we also use on the website, our cards and FB-page:

Last edited by Little Jay; 01-21-2019 at 09:05 AM.

Made a new design scheme for this year.
    Designing your Bands Artwork-next-live-dates-announcer-jpg

Our logo (the pipe smoking black cat) is based on my cat Miles. He passed away in January, so I decided to use a portrait of him.

Paul

Just because i haven't posted it on here yet: to make up for all the cancelled dance-events we'd normally play we recorded an Album.
    I reworked the Design I posted earlier to a Cover, and I really like how it turned out!
    Spent a lot of time with dirt textures

Paul

User Info Menu

Not so much art work but more dtp perhaps, but I am proud of the album design I made for Eva La Voix, my jazzy/poppy group around singer Eva Lavooij (album release postponed due to Covid 19 unfortunately, but some tunes are already out on Spotify):

Last edited by Little Jay; 08-18-2020 at 05:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Webby
    Just because i haven't posted it on here yet: to make up for all the cancelled dance-events we'd normally play we recorded an Album.
    I reworked the Design I posted earlier to a Cover, and I really like how it turned out!
    Spent a lot of time with dirt textures

Paul
    Love the ‘aging’! Well done!

User Info Menu

Terrific posters and graphics. Thanks for sharing.

Before Covid, I played weekly (weakly?) in a trio. Having worked in printing for many years, I made some graphics for the band. Our repertoire wandered from early jazz to standards with a slightly more modern feel. These two graphics show how I tried to express the different styles.

Designing your Bands Artwork-mt-f_pdjs_2_6x6-jpg

Designing your Bands Artwork-mtattroutnoir2-jpg