The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 140

User Info Menu

christian is posting cries for help i think someone should challenge him to cherokee

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The way I recall it the word derives from stories, probably apocryphal, that a better stride pianist would walk into a club, outplay the current pianist and win the gig.

The idea of competition at a jam doesn't bother me a bit. No different than playing a round of golf with friends. You want to show your best game. Friendly competition.

But, there can be situations in which people can try to make things harder for another player to the point of sabotage.

The bob pioneers reportedly developed some aspects of bop as a way to keep less skilled musicians off the stand. Supposedly, they'd do things like substitute the bridge from one tune into another and not tell the guy they were testing or screwing with. If he could hear it, he had a chance of getting into the "club".

I have also experienced a pianist I'd never met acting cold even before I plugged in. I've always wondered if the pianist was just annoyed by having to deal with another chord instrument.

The last time I went to a jam, which was the first time I'd met that leader, he was kind enough to ask me what I wanted to play.
    Two tunes, then somebody else's turn. This was at a restaurant bar with an audience. The leader had no incentive to make me sound bad.

But, the last time I sat in with a group, they called all the tunes. I knew some and not others. It was up to me to figure out what to play. Fortunately, IRealPro had them all, I could transpose to their key (only necessary once, I think) and I was able to balance the phone on my leg. It would feel funny to sit in and bring a music stand.

The last time I played casual, the leader made a folder of charts in advance. He didn't mind the reading and he didn't want to deal with people remembering the tune differently or forgetting it or anything else having a chart might prevent (arguably, including playing better jazz <g>).

One last point. At a gig where I was the leader, we're playing a tune and some guy in the audience gets out of his chair carrying a trombone and starts soloing. I was upset about it and let him know. I found out later that the bassist had okayed it without telling me. So, as it turned out, I had no reason to angry at the trombonist. As far as I know, the trombonist never found that out. He'd already left, probably with a low opinion of me. So, there might be some hidden reason for a player acting cold.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Donnie, wrong answer. You're supposed to say "I'm a little bit rock and roll".

Sheesh. Kids today ...

- Marie
    Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    i think donnie was born in like 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    So you're telling me that I'm now on the hook for public humiliation over my lack of chops because of some toddler's failure to grok 70s TV references? Sweet.

- Wojo
    You guys are hilarious! Lmao

User Info Menu

Cherokee? You got my attention now. Who wants it?

User Info Menu

I'm in. 280bpm. And be forewarned, I'm gonna tell "yo mama" jokes as I play.

User Info Menu

sweet. mr b vs hep cherokee. head and 2 choruses. vid due in 1 week

User Info Menu

A week? I'll be up tomorrow. If you don't already know Cherokee a week ain't gonna help.

(Am I "cutting" right? It just feels like I'm being mean. It's kinda fun.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    A week? I'll be up tomorrow. If you don't already know Cherokee a week ain't gonna help.

(Am I "cutting" right? It just feels like I'm being mean. It's kinda fun.)
    that’s just plain hurtful.

lol pressure on Hep!

i feel like the jazz guitar don king and it just sorta feels right

User Info Menu

Here I am blowing on Cherokee four years ago, with a two year old sitting on my knee. Who wants some?

(Jeez, this is the wankiest thing I ever recorded)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    I guess you are right. I should have just packed up my guitar and left once he showed me the Real Book.
    That’s up to you, I hope you didn't take my post the wrong way.
    If you can sight read basic real book changes that tune would be relatively easy.
    If you aren't able to you have the choice to wing it, or lay out. If you're an intermediate or better jazz player you'll be better prepared to wing a tune.

Just a suggestion, if you're not familiar w basic standards/ jazz tunes, listen to/learn as many as possible, it'll help train your ear, and will really aid in sitting in.
    peace...

User Info Menu

Awesome! Sorry I can't do tomorrow, it's a busy day, and not like I need time to learn the tune lol! I can do it on Thursday though, or over the weekend.

I suggest a backing track, a same one, to level the field. But solo guitar to metronome is ok too, only then it would be more chordy in my case.

280bpm is fun!

User Info Menu

I too have an old one, more a transcription than my own improv, but my own one will be prolly pretty close it anyway.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    That’s up to you, I hope you didn't take my post the wrong way.
    If you can sight read basic real book changes that tune would be relatively easy.
    If you aren't able to you have the choice to wing it, or lay out. If you're an intermediate or better jazz player you'll be better prepared to wing a tune.

Just a suggestion, if you're not familiar w basic standards/ jazz tunes, listen to/learn as many as possible, it'll help train your ear, and will really aid in sitting in.
    peace...
    Thank you for the comment, and pardon my initial abrupt reply. Again, in my original post I mentioned that the 'Green Dolphin' gig took place 10 years ago.

I learned from that situation, and have since advanced in my jazz guitar studies. That however, is a never ending effort. Having recently retired I now have more time to focus on the nuances of jazz guitar, as well as many other interests.

User Info Menu

I think it's very easy to find yourself in a musical situation that you haven't encountered before and have no way to understand.

Like a jam session is playing Cantaloupe Island and you figure you can play it, so why not sit in?

Then, the next call is Dolphin Dance, no book (or you couldn't read anyway) and you can't play it.

Or, some very sophisticated players start messing around during the tune and suddenly it ain't Kansas anymore.

The challenge is to see this as a positive, no matter how well or badly you play. It's exposure to something that may be new. If you're interested in whatever aspect of music it represents, it can be motivating, goal-setting, life-changing or not.

For the OP who suddenly encountered GDS, you probably know more about jam session culture and etiquette now than you did before it happened. New musicianship skills -- because there is a lot to know that isn't simply playing your instrument.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Here I am blowing on Cherokee four years ago, with a two year old sitting on my knee. Who wants some?

(Jeez, this is the wankiest thing I ever recorded)

Cute kid plus lots of notes plus so many fretboard markers wtf.

Solid work

User Info Menu

I want in on cherokee

User Info Menu

"Again, in my original post I mentioned that the 'Green Dolphin' gig took place 10 years ago"

Sorry, I missed that.
    I'm pretty sure you can play it backwards by now!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by don_oz
    I want in on cherokee
    damn osmond coming after you all like it's lunch time

User Info Menu

that’s just plain hurtful.

lol pressure on Hep!

i feel like the jazz guitar don king and it just sorta feels right
    Hey Don King, how about you find us a good backing track, 280bpm? That'd be nice, set it all up proper... Everyone can crack jokes, but promoters work hard, ya know...

User Info Menu

I got 2 for GDS, and 3 for cherokee. I'll make the voting poll posts when i get all the vids

User Info Menu

I got 2 for GDS, and 3 for cherokee. I'll make the voting poll posts when i get all the vids
    Yea, sounds good!

User Info Menu

The Cherokee track is a little too slow.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    The Cherokee track is a little too slow.
    i'll find a faster one when you throw your hat in the ring

User Info Menu

osmond said you're scared