The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 35

User Info Menu

Hey players,

Don't slay me, but I need some advise on getting a 2 hour solo guitar gig up to speed. I'm an ocassional gigging amateur and I'm used to playing in a duo/trio/quartet setting -- maybe too used to it. I have an opportunity for a semi-regular solo gig, but I just don't have enough material or practice performing alone to cut it. But I am enthusiastic about making it happen. At this point, I can maybe scrape together 45 minutes solo. So I'm trying to figure out where best to put my energy in growing my solo set? It's a bar/wallpaper type of gig as opposed to on stage with critical listeners. Any advise (hoping for more than learn every tune backwards & forwards) is appreciated.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I would try and put as many improvised choruses in each tune as you can get away with, to get maximum mileage out of each tune. If it’s background then no-one will notice if you screw up the form a bit or wander off the chord changes or whatever. Vary each chorus a bit, e.g. maybe start with one rubato, then play the tune in time, then some comping, some walking bass, some single note stuff, then mix up all of the above etc. Doesn’t have to be Joe-Pass-level, just melodic, swinging, groove, etc. Whenever in doubt just revert to playing some of the tune again, with a bit of embellishment.

User Info Menu

What Graham said above is good advice.

But there's no getting around the fact that you are going to have to find the time every day to work on memorizing new solo guitar arrangements.

Just remember, it doesn't have to be a difficult or advanced arrangement that takes a lot of time and effort to learn and master - it just has to be an arrangement that sounds pretty. That's what the majority of people are looking for.

In other words, you're not playing for other guitarists you're playing for regular folk who would love to hear a pretty melody played on a beautiful sounding guitar.

User Info Menu

Play songs they know*. An audience will cheer for a song they know even if not performed very well but barely respond to something they've never heard before played brilliantly. And if it's only background, so much the better :-)

* Summertime, Autumn Leaves, Georgia, Misty, After You've Gone, Sunny Side Of The Street, etc, you know the stuff. And some blues, everybody likes blues.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    Hey players,

Don't slay me, but I need some advise on getting a 2 hour solo guitar gig up to speed. I'm an ocassional gigging amateur and I'm used to playing in a duo/trio/quartet setting -- maybe too used to it. I have an opportunity for a semi-regular solo gig, but I just don't have enough material or practice performing alone to cut it. But I am enthusiastic about making it happen. At this point, I can maybe scrape together 45 minutes solo. So I'm trying to figure out where best to put my energy in growing my solo set? It's a bar/wallpaper type of gig as opposed to on stage with critical listeners. Any advise (hoping for more than learn every tune backwards & forwards) is appreciated.
    I would also try to sprinkle in some well crafted pop tunes like Beatles tunes, Moondance etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

If it's a restaurant or that style, where there's turnover in the crowd, you can repeat tunes. Get an hour together, and play it twice.

User Info Menu

Is it inappropriate to suggest playing along with backing tracks?

I hear solo guys do that fairly often.

It's not Joe Pass, but the audience might like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar

I have done that. No one really seems to mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I wouldn't rely on backing tracks, but get a looper, and prepare some of your own, or do it on the spot. To me, there's more dignity in looper than in backing tracks off internet.

User Info Menu

I've found that developing the art of the introduction is how I keep things fresh and engaging. Introductions let me set the tone, the motif, the groove or the interest on my own terms. I'd always found going up against a song form to be a challenge and setting up a nice introductary segment causes me to focus on my own sounds, my own space and gradually "invites" the song to emerge from the space I create.
    A single note, repeated into a rhythm that plays in the song... a nice chordal passage that winds up on the dominant of the first chord... a variation on the last 8 bars of the song... they all serve me well to set the musical tone of each piece, and the pieces flow much easier into and out of the form.
    A nice introduction also uses things like vamp passages and pleasant interlude to use space and time, stretch out a song to take up more time and allow that "Oh! How clever! I recognize that tune now!" moment for the audience.

David

User Info Menu

I think someone once said if it's got a good intro and a solid ending no one cares much what happens in between

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar

The trouble with that is they might actually start listening to it... I mean, you really don't want that

User Info Menu

Another reason to play a long introduction is that it gives you an opportunity to work through the tune 'on your own terms' and refresh your memory, before you get right into it at tempo etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Another reason to play a long introduction is that it gives you an opportunity to work through the tune 'on your own terms' and refresh your memory, before you get right into it at tempo etc.
    That reminds me that as you go through selecting the repertoire for your gig, listen to broadway tunes WITH the verses. These are introductions to well known tunes that nobody heard of. They were designed to make the transition from the speaking part of a play (or movie) into the song. These verses are often as beautiful or more compelling than the even the part of the standards we know. Vocalists will sometimes include a verse, Ella is well known for doing this. Watch Fred Astaire movies, he's got the complete songs when he sings and dances a number. Learning a good verse really "frames" an already great song and extends it into a most rewarding piece of episodic music. Well worth the effort.
    David

How many of you guys know, not to mention can play, the verse to All The Things You Are?

User Info Menu

Taking a tune through two or more keys is a great way to extend it and keep it fresh.
    If it's a restaurant crowd, you can certainly repeat after an hour or so, there's turnover.
    Definitely sprinkle in some pop tunes, Beatles, something Sinatra sang. You might want to keep a few of these tunes in pocket really, they might get requested...requests fulfilled usually equal tips, sometimes nice ones.

Looper? I dunno...if used creatively, cool. Though generally, I think the creative application of a looper doesn't really lend itself to wallpaper music, it's listening music...think Bill Frisell. I'd be excited to see him play at a restaurant, most folks would be confused.

Tracks? You know what, I'll just shut up.

User Info Menu

Looper... is that where you press a pedal, play the chords, then it repeats so you can solo over it? The only place I've seen those in use is by buskers :-)

Or arty people where they 'create-their-own-music-while-you-watch'. But I wouldn't have thought it very good for wallpaper... I might be wrong.

User Info Menu

speaking of tracks, i would get some solo guitr albums and pantomime them

User Info Menu

Wow! you guys have tossed me a ton of great and useful info in this thread. Thank you all.

I love the extended intro and key change ideas -- those are something fun I can work on. I'm more of an improvise & noodle player than a memorizer of arrangements, so stretching tunes should fit my skill set pretty well.

I also love the Moondance and Beatles suggestions. I've already got Moondance 1/2 way under my belt. It's funny about the Beatles -- I've never been very good at their tunes somehow. It seems like they always throw in a chord change I'm not expecting. I guess it's time to learn Blackbird

I had a looper once and was terrible at using it.
    There are a couple of guys in town that do Looper solo gigs, but I'm going to try to do without.

Thanks again for all the ideas. You guys are great !!!

User Info Menu

One more idea--a little "light classical" goes over really well.

Think Spanish over Bach, though, at least for the restaurant crowd.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    One more idea--a little "light classical" goes over really well.

Think Spanish over Bach, though, at least for the restaurant crowd.
    *cringe*

User Info Menu

Really? Lagrima works wonders, I'm telling ya...

(I've probably done a few hundred wallpaper gigs over the years. Blending in, not being too loud, noticeable, or taking up too much space are my specialties)

User Info Menu

oh for sure it’s a good choice Jeff; most people will like it— same with the pop tunes.

that stuff sounds to me like what the chicken dance sounds like to wedding DJs

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

Think Spanish over Bach
    What's that?

(I was playing Lagrima before some of you were BORN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

doesn't mean I was any good at it, just saying :-)

User Info Menu

i was playing lagrima before you were born

User Info Menu

I know, and you were brilliant