Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mwcarr -

According to your other posts you've just turned 67 and you described your friend as a 'very competent mandolinist'.

So have you raised this subject with him? If you asked him, what does he say?

How old is he? Was he always like this?

I'd be inclined to replace him too if you were both much younger and the issue had been discussed forthrightly. I suspect at your age you're inclined to be more tolerant and it might be difficult to get another competent and reliable player.

I think you need to talk to him and find out what's going on.

Also, if you don't mind my asking, what are these gigs? Are they at licensed venues like bars, clubs or restaurants? Don't the owner/managers have something to say if you're late?

Or are we talking local places like old folks homes where nobody really minds if your timing is a bit loose?

I think we need to know a bit more here.

weak on rhythm is the true crime here.......axe him

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    mwcarr -

According to your other posts you've just turned 67 and you described your friend as a 'very competent mandolinist'.

So have you raised this subject with him? If you asked him, what does he say?

How old is he? Was he always like this?

I'd be inclined to replace him too if you were both much younger and the issue had been discussed forthrightly. I suspect at your age you're inclined to be more tolerant and it might be difficult to get another competent and reliable player.

I think you need to talk to him and find out what's going on.
    Yeah , at that age
    "it might be difficult to get another
    competent and reliable player"

Jesus I've heard it all now

You may have heard it all but maybe you didn't read what I said. These are two guys approaching 70 years old. They've known each other for a long time. They're friends. You don't act like you would to a bad employee 'You're fired! Clear your desk and get out!'.

Like I said, we don't know what music they're playing, or to whom, or where. We don't know if this behaviour is recent or mwcarr has seriously put up with it for 20 years. We don't know very much.

We also don't know why Mr Carr comes on the internet complaining and doesn't just sort it out in real life. Maybe he's in a quandary because he doesn't want to be unkind to his friend. Maybe if he fired him he'd have nothing much left in life. Maybe we know nothing.

Get it?

Also, of course, maybe I'm quite wrong. But I have a feeling...

On the other hand, mwcarr may be a tyrant. He says he does '70% of the work'. Maybe he should take 70% of the money (I jest)!

He gets the gigs, sets them up, plays and sings it all himself. The other guy can't keep time (but he's also 'very competent') and just does breaks. If mwcarr wants to take a break he can't because 'the bottom drops out of it'. Well, mandolins are a bit like that...

So now, after 20 years, the organised, go-to, proactive, do-it-all-yourself, guy suddenly gets all dithery and says 'Oh, golly gosh, what am I to do?'.

So you can see why I'm sceptical of this scenario. There's a l-o-t we don't know. From my view anyway.

sorry, I'm just suspicious by nature :-)

ok sorry for the outburst
    (im just old and cranky)??

Oh, you're not alone :-)

Duo partner chronically late-th-jpg

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed