The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

I've been doing a lot of pit work -I just came back from playing 'Sister Act' tonight- and the guitar part has many measures filled with four and five chord changes per measure, along with some quick little lines, and tons of modulations.
    The stand light isn't strong enough to enable me to see the white dots on the side of the neck, so when I have to play something that requires a fast change of position, I don't feel as confident as I do when there's enough light to glimpse the dots out of the corner of my eye.

Those of you that do pit work; how do you handle this situation?
    I still haven't broken down and gotten one of those music stand lights with wires attached to the lights, but I do have a bottle of florescent liquid that I keep on my amp to dab on the dots, but I wind up wiping it off with my left hand while playing.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

You can find very small LED lights that could be mounted on the headstock, or on the guitar body using Velcro, or blu-tack, a clamp, or whatever you prefer. Many may be too bright for you, especially if mounted on the headstock, but trial and error may get results. When I was flying an EMS helicopter, I kept two LED lights mounted on the sides of my helmet, one red and one white, for use during starts or for before power was turned on. The lithium batteries last for a very long time, but when they die, they die without warning. I've also worn a headlight, which might not be that stylish in a pit band. But for a dark helicopter cockpit, style doesn't matter at all, and I've used lots of different approaches to getting light where I needed it, when I needed it. All involved small, not-too-bright battery-powered LED lights.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I still haven't broken down and gotten one of those music stand lights with wires attached to the lights, .....
    Battery powered music stand lights are available. It will help you see the score - but not necessarily the guitar neck.

For example this one: Amazon.com: Kootek Clip On Book Lights Music Light Stand 10 LED Orchestra Lamp Adjustable Neck Reading Light Rechargeable USB Desk Lamp: Musical Instruments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I've been doing a lot of pit work -I just came back from playing 'Sister Act' tonight- and the guitar part has many measures filled with four and five chord changes per measure, along with some quick little lines, and tons of modulations.
    The stand light isn't strong enough to enable me to see the white dots on the side of the neck, so when I have to play something that requires a fast change of position, I don't feel as confident as I do when there's enough light to glimpse the dots out of the corner of my eye.

Those of you that do pit work; how do you handle this situation?
    I still haven't broken down and gotten one of those music stand lights with wires attached to the lights, but I do have a bottle of florescent liquid that I keep on my amp to dab on the dots, but I wind up wiping it off with my left hand while playing.
    I use two lights. A regular stand light for the music. And one one those lights "with wires" that you mention, for the guitar neck. I just clip it to the bottom left of the stand and point it at the neck. However, I *like* the idea of clipping one onto the guitar head, as mentioned above, I never thought of that. See this vid and imagine subbing a light for the camera.

User Info Menu

I've done this many times on guitar, bass, upright bass, and banjo. I have gotten by with a music stand light (battery).

I guess I don't look at the instruments much because my chief concern was can I see the music.

User Info Menu

I purchased the Luminay product for my bass after playing in a dark club
    and was grabbing a handfull of wrong most of the night.

This product WORKS VERY WELL!! Just charge it up with an infrared flashlight
    and they are very bright for ~20 minutes, but still bright enough to play in the dark
    for > 1 hour.

I would rate this product 5 stars, don't be scared off because all of the marketing
    is in japa-english

I think my total was ~$28US and there was enough to do my 2nd bass.

I had it professionally installed by one of my local guys (Rex Guitar Works San Jose)
    as there will be neck drilling and my aim ain't so good....

User Info Menu

Paypal will do all of the rate exchanges etc...

User Info Menu

This is why I am glad my first teacher insisted that I play without looking at the neck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alder Statesman
    This is why I am glad my first teacher insisted that I play without looking at the neck.
    Part of the reason I ordered my partscaster neck without markers (side dots only).

Well, that, plus it looks cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    Part of the reason I ordered my partscaster neck without markers (side dots only).

Well, that, plus it looks cool.
    I'm just talking about side dots, not markers.

Quote Originally Posted by Papawooly
    I purchased the Luminay product for my bass after playing in a dark club
    and was grabbing a handfull of wrong most of the night.

This product WORKS VERY WELL!! Just charge it up with an infrared flashlight
    and they are very bright for ~20 minutes, but still bright enough to play in the dark
    for > 1 hour.

I would rate this product 5 stars, don't be scared off because all of the marketing
    is in japa-english

I think my total was ~$28US and there was enough to do my 2nd bass.

I had it professionally installed by one of my local guys (Rex Guitar Works San Jose)
    as there will be neck drilling and my aim ain't so good....
    Thanks for telling me about the drilling. I think I'll just keep dabbing the side dots.

User Info Menu

I just use a twin little stand light, both as a precaution if one of them goes out, but also for the ease of having some more light when I need it. Also have one on the pedalboard if I use one. I haven't found any way around it other than making sure you are really comfortable with the gear you are using. If something, guitar or other gear, is new and untested, I know it is going to make me uneasy at a theater situation. And those guitar pots without numbers on them.. i draw them myself. I actually used a fluorescent marker once to draw side dots on a classical.

User Info Menu

Maybe that's why Gibby archtops have those bug inlays being that, in their day, they were a chief guitar in many orchestras.

User Info Menu

Attached is a picture of a Forshage guitar in low light with Luminay fret markers. Chris is in the process of finishing up my Orion which will have half moon Luminay side markers. I prefer a clean fretboard face but desire side dots/markers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    Attached is a picture of a Forshage guitar in low light with Luminay fret markers. Chris is in the process of finishing up my Orion which will have half moon Luminay side markers. I prefer a clean fretboard face but desire side dots/markers.

That's some cool $h*t!

User Info Menu

My buddy uses a product similar to this on his electric bass for pit gigs. Removes with no damage, can be reinstalled...

Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 06-29-2018 at 08:47 PM.

User Info Menu

That is cool. No mention of price, but it shouldn't be exorbitant. If I needed something like that, I would certainly try one.

Turns out there are several possibilities, from systems that install under the fretboard to lights all around the entire guitar. Who knew? "guitar led fretboard markers" in a search engine provides lots of reading material.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    My buddy uses a similar product to this on his electric bass for pit gigs. Removes with no damage, can be reinstalled...

Here's the web site: ... FretFX ... Attachable Illuminated LED Fret Markers

Around $100. In the FAQ it says they can be removed but not reinstalled:

Q. Can I remove FretFX from one guitar and install it on another?
    A. The process of removing FretFX will not harm your instrument but will destroy the LED array.

User Info Menu

I’ve read that Danny Gatton installed zirconium side markers. This image is from a DG signature Tele.

User Info Menu

Perhaps talking with the music director about getting some illumination for the band?

User Info Menu

I’ve been fortunate in that most of the pit shows I’m playing these days are in remote rooms, rather than an open pit, so the ambient lighting is good.

Reading music in a theater that's completely dark.-d8e5f33f-986f-436d-8987-cfd6139d2c0d-jpg

User Info Menu

Remote rooms are increasingly the order of the day. The music is piped in, as it were.

This makes lighting a non-issue.