The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 48

User Info Menu

Neat video addressing some big questions

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I didn't understand the video. All the things he talks about are taught and talked about at music schools, he even acknowledges it himself after mentioning each one. It seems to be more about his personal effort of understanding things in music.. or in YouTube
    Last edited by Alter; 04-11-2018 at 05:07 AM.

User Info Menu

I think it is impossible to learn talent in the music school...

User Info Menu

He said 'Berklee funk'.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    He said 'Berklee funk'.
    oxymoron?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    oxymoron?
    Depends what you mean by "funk". Weed is legal in this state. Take a walk down Mass Ave and you'll see.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    Depends what you mean by "funk". Weed is legal in this state. Take a walk down Mass Ave and you'll see.
    Or rather, smell.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    He said 'Berklee funk'.
    Buddy rich used to call it "that Berklee shit."

User Info Menu

The fine line between "funky shit" and "shitty funk."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    The fine line between "funky shit" and "shitty funk."
    That's starting to sound like a George Carlin routine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    This guy got his degrees and now he makes videos because there's no gigs. I wonder about taking career advice from these kind of guys.
    Haha, I’ve often thought that....

Actually I suspect Neely makes a pretty decent income from YouTube.

Pretty much every young musician seems to know who he is... they don’t know who Wayne Krantz is...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    I didn't know MA went full legal. Welcome to civilization!

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    This guy got his degrees and now he makes videos because there's no gigs. I wonder about taking career advice from these kind of guys.
    He makes videos as well as playing gigs, and does a whole bunch of other stuff by the looks of it. Why not take advice from a busy working pro living in the epicenter of the craft?

User Info Menu

Just to be clear: Adam’s a highly motivated musician and self starter that I respect a lot. He’s also a very skilled player. As everyone in NYC has to be... and whatever he does -
    He does his homework.

I’m a massive music nerd of course and I’m consistently impressed by how accurate his info is.

He might not be playing jazz gigs at the Vanguard (I mean who is?) but he is out there doing interesting projects and clearly understands the potential of new technology and YouTube etc.

I’m always happy and interested to hear what he has to say.

User Info Menu

It would be unprofessional to show examples of this....

Then he shows a picture of Scofield.

I didn't know Berklee funk was a thing.
    It doesn't have the charm of the old stuff?
    Drugs.

User Info Menu

I thought he was going to give me a bass lesson in the end. I bet if he had a nice teaching gig at one of those fine NYC music school he wouldn't be making this video. We need to support music schools and encourage youngsters to spread the beauty of music, not lament at how much it sucks for young musicians. This will only discourage serious and talented musicians to pursue music in school, making matters even worst for the music industry.

User Info Menu

A lot of sour grapes there, methinks. We're blaming the schools for the sorry state of the live music marketplace? Look to society and disruptive technology first, kids.

Accredited 4-year colleges have high standards. They have no choice. They have to keep the bar high, and that principle stands even if the school is fully aware that a musician may make his/her living playing crappy pop fluff for teenyboppers, party animals, and drunks. For a little perspective, the state of the market that the youtube personality describes has its roots in the late 1950s. If one needs to blame someone then they can blame Chuck Berry, Bill Haley and The Comets, Elvis, The Beatles, on and on.

If the young musicians goal is "learn how to be the kind of musician who can memorize a hundred lame pop songs and sound like a live jukebox" - then a 4-year college is not the place. A trade school or even private school - non-credit - is the place for that. School of Rock anyone? You get what you pay for, so what do you want?

One would think that such a smart young person with level-headed parents would take stock of all of that before earning both bachelors and masters degrees from two very expensive private schools like Berklee and The Manhattan School of Music. That's a massive commitment to artful music.

So, it sounds to me like we're just a little bit pissed about our school debt and the harsh reality of the live music marketplace and we need to blame others, not ourselves. Again, the state of the market did not arrive yesterday.

It's not about me, but my personal experience is that I was a music major decades ago, at the top of my class (not saying I didn't have a long way to go, I did have a long way to go). I took stock of the market and decided to change to something............ which the marketplace demanded. I had to use my head instead of my heart. Like the saying goes, "life is hard, and it's even harder when you're stupid".
    Last edited by Jazzstdnt; 04-20-2018 at 01:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    my personal experience is that I was a music major decades ago".
    With all due respect, I'm not sure you're his audience.

User Info Menu

Just out of curiosity how much does 4 years at Berklee and 2 (I guess) at MSM cost not including living expenses etc. $300,000 plus?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrcee
    Just out of curiosity how much does 4 years at Berklee and 2 (I guess) at MSM cost not including living expenses etc. $300,000 plus?
    Those things are published in US News and World Report (or is it Business Week?) annually. Schools should have their tuition & fees on their websites, but I'm not sure that every school does. It's not always that easy to find.

Your figure seems to be about right for the undergrad, or it could be closer to $400K.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andrew42
    With all due respect, I'm not sure you're his audience.

I know but the story is the same. You should have heard the things some of my instructors and professors said about the market and the, uh, wealth building possibilities for musicians, back then. Just like today, they taught, they gigged, they scuffled.

I have attended a number of music schools and colleges on both coasts and in flyover country. I currently attend Berklee Online, off and on. It's fun. It's not perfect but I'm very grateful that it's there! There is nothing quite like Berkee and there never has been.

At Berklee I have encountered a number of top notch teachers/playing pros. They have ALL been frank and honest about the music scene, yet they still teach music with depth and high artistic standards. Students grouse too. Berklee has a number of courses about the music biz and how to make it these days, etc., etc., etc.

One would really have to live under a rock not to hear the sobering characterization about "the scene" (or lack thereof). So maybe we're building a rock (of denial) to live under. Young students are idealistic and tell themselves - "that won't apply to me". They choose not to listen. Where some are concerned, that's a great thing. But for most...

User Info Menu

Play funk like you mean it. Tell the club to buy bottles of whiskey for $300 and sell if for $800. Wealthy people buy the whole bottle when they buy you a drink. Then the club saves the bottle for them.
    The $500 profit goes to musicians and other employees.

User Info Menu

Learn jazz
    Profit

The business model is perfectly simple!

User Info Menu

Why do you need a degree in music?

Universities and colleges are big money businesses that simply care about selling more and more degrees. Look at the billboards targeting youth... "Do you want to design aircraft?", "Do you want to be a fashion designer?", "Do you want to be a DJ?"... like are you f*cking kidding me?! There's a ticket you can buy to be some superstar? Sign me up!

Sorry, it clearly bothers me.

User Info Menu

As a teacher of undergraduate and school age budding musicians, I find it hard to advise anyone on the business side of things (aside from - “here’s my life story, make all the opposite decisions to me”) because the tech is really in flux.

For instance, You Tube is obviously a big deal. We’ve had Snarky, Knower, vulfpeck etc using the platform to launch their careers.

Neely’s been on YouTube almost ten years, and has built up and refined his channel in the last few, but making a living on YT may no longer be an option for younger people - we’ve had adpocalypse etc and the platform is obviously a private one meaning the business owners are really at liberty to move the goal posts as they wish.

From my own point of view, I thought I’d start a YT channel as a bit of a hobby, just to see. What I get is lots of comments going basically ‘good content but not very well produced.’

The pressure to conform to high production standards which basically mean you’d have to be a full time pro (like Neely or Beato) is pretty strong now. YT is rapidly becoming a career in its own right.

In Beatos case it’s interesting - he had his career, and this is clearly a way to make up the shortfall as bookings drop off due to the changes in tech and the business.