Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Second jazz gig I have been to in Melbourne in two weeks.

Both the same, bands doing Sidewinder, Four, Caravan etc, crowd full of hipsters, packed house could not move last night at least twenty people outside listening as they could not get in, who says jazz is dead?

Jazz is going off in Melbourne-rookies-jpg
    “When you’re creating your own ...., man, even the sky ain’t the limit.”
    Miles Davis

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Good news, and a brilliant photo.

User Info Menu

which venues? which acts?

User Info Menu

That's it, I'm packing and booking next flight to Melbourne.

User Info Menu

These kids at the Lomonde Hotel, in Brunswick, it was insane. Labourers drunk fist pumping to Take the A Train, teenagers totally into it, every couple of songs some new kid would sit in for a few songs, 35 degrees packed sweaty corner bar filled with good vibes, maybe that was what Mintons was like in its hey day?

Jakal - Home | Facebook

Every Wednesday the Rookies play at I think it is the Return of the Rookie or the Rookie Returns in Fitzroy:

Four | The Rookies

Amazing we went to see BopStretch (who will be playing at the Lido on 27 Jan which I am sure will sell out given how small it is)

but Uptown was closed, 20 metres down the road the Rookies were playing. I have tried to see the Rookies before but it was the same deal, I could not get in the place was literally jam packed and a pile of people looking in through the open windows.

All three play the kind of jazz with the energy I love.
    Miles Davis

User Info Menu

I just started reading Jaron Lanier's 'Dawn of the New Everything', and he predicts that the art of the 21st Century will be a combination of Jazz + Cinema + Programming...

User Info Menu

If the US lowered it's drinking age to 18, teens would fill up the place to listen to a vacuum cleaner.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    Jazz is going off in Melbourne-download-1-jpg
    Is that a reversible vacuum cleaner? Jazz sucks/blows?

The thought of young hipsters getting into Jazz makes me feel a little nauseous...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet View Post
    Is that a reversible vacuum cleaner? Jazz sucks/blows?

The thought of young hipsters getting into Jazz makes me feel a little nauseous...
    I like hipsters, they are pretty clean living, drink less than the generations before them, present them selves nicely and have a pretty temperate outlook on things ..... and they seem to love jazz.
    Miles Davis

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez View Post
    I like hipsters, they are pretty clean living, drink less than the generations before them, present them selves nicely and have a pretty temperate outlook on things ..... and they seem to love jazz.
    Yes, some of them do indeed seem to like Jazz... I mean we should be pleased, except that young hipsters get bored quickly with "scenes" and then move on. In 2020 you'll over hear in some hipster barbershop cafe :
    "Yeah, I used to be into Jazz in 2018 when everyone was into it, you know, John Coltrane and all that stuff, but now I'm into VR DJ'ing- it's awesome!"...

User Info Menu

them young hipsters being all young and hipsters and all

User Info Menu

All them youngsters better stay off my lawn!

User Info Menu

All there again last night. Straight No Chaser was crazy good. So much energy in the room.
    Miles Davis

User Info Menu

You thinking the young crowd is mostly Jazz students? Hard to imagine young folk digging Hard Bop - or any type of Jazz- if they're not players themselves...

User Info Menu

So happy to boast went and saw another band yesterday at a different venue the Four Scoops at the Pinnacle Hotel. Sunday afternoon and it was so packed my family made me leave. Guitarist was playing an old 175 with P90's, man I was dribbling it sounded so fine.
    Miles Davis

User Info Menu

WHere are all the jam sessions being held gggomez?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet View Post
    You thinking the young crowd is mostly Jazz students? Hard to imagine young folk digging Hard Bop - or any type of Jazz- if they're not players themselves...
    And yet they absolutely do.

Typical comment (I was playing a Hank Mobley tribute thing) - woman in the audience says - 'what kind of music is this? It's like blues but more sophisticated... I love blues... I love it!'

User Info Menu

... well yeah, what's not to love?