The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

I have a thin, plastic covered 10' cable with loops on both ends. (Harbor Freight). When I'm playing a festival or other situation where there's lots of strange people hanging around, I lash my equipment together with that and lock it.

The guitars I gig with are pretty valuable, and I never let them out of my sight.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I keep a pretty good eye on my stuff (I ask bandmates to watch my stuff if I have to leave the bandstand) and if I am gigging with a high dollar guitar, I do not even trust bandmates to watch it for me (the guitar goes into the men's room along with me ).

I once left a high dollar cable at a gig. By the time I got home, the venue was closed. I called the next morning and it was nowhere to be found. I went by and searched the bandstand area to no avail. Someone (a customer or an employee of the venue) got that and since then, I inventory my stuff at the end of each gig.

User Info Menu

Never had anything stolen at a gig. My stuff got stolen from my house. So in addition to losing my gear, I got a nice feeling of having my personal space violated. That only stuck with me for a year or so. (So happy I don't live in that neighborhood anymore.)

User Info Menu

Years ago we opened for War at the Odyssey Room in Sunnyvale, CA.
    War would use the opening act's gear, and their rider had a "no Peavey" clause.

Of course, almost all of gear was made by inmates from Meridian, Miss (Peavey)
    and the club Manager (crankster) was pissed and hollering at us and basically treating
    us like crap as we had the nerve to show up at her club with our inferior equipment.

Long story short.. So War (after an hour delay, said they were stuck in traffic but were
    backstage getting their pre-show buzz on) came out and tried to blow up our equipment
    by blasting at full volume etc... but couldn't break it...
    ... and they ended up playing a great show as always

As we were loading out I counted an extra stage monitor in our van... a sweet JBL...
    I say "OK, who stole this monitor?" and shamed the Lead Guitar and Bassist to return
    said stolen goods, which they did, while grousing about how we were treated like crap etc...

They did take the monitor back, but next day I noticed an extra mic stand... which we still have!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    They should have lost the competition just for having that name, that is the crappiest band name I have ever heard.
    Blues band I was in about 7 years ago came in second in a BotB (our first public performance) to a band called We Govern We.

I'm still mystified, a name like that should be a disqualifier. Don't get me wrong, they were good (80s New-Wavish Motels/Missing Persons sorta stuff) ... but that name. Ugh.
    Last edited by Thumpalumpacus; 12-19-2017 at 03:38 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Queen Anne's Bastards.
    Now THAT’S a decent band name.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Always very sorry to hear of this sort of thing.

I'll offer one small thought.

I now carry my gear in a rolling plastic file box that costs about $20-25 at an office supply store.

I can get my amp in it, on its side. And there's room for music stand, guitar stand in it, and a bag with my pedal board and cables on top.

Then, during the gig, I put all my stuff inside it (the bag, my jacket, amp cover etc) and use it as an amp stand. If it's a higher paid gig I bring a large piece of cloth and cover it, so it looks a little better.

So, to steal my stuff, a thief would have to enter the stage area, lift my amp and reach under it.

My guitar's gig bag and the guitar are separate. I try to get the gig bag in the back of the stage area if I can. I gig with a cheap guitar, which is good for peace of mind. The gig bag costs more.
    Do You have a pic of this file box in action?

User Info Menu

Band names. Oi. We came up with "Optimum Trajectory" for the band I was in for about 7 years; any mathematicians in the audience always assumed we had another mathematician in the band and were always disappointed (wildlife biology prof, doctor, psychologist, band repair tech and an accountant...). About five years ago in a college bar, we were followed by an FFM trio named "Queef Elizabeth." True story. What a name. "Hey, Mom and Dad, I joined a band!"

User Info Menu

Hmm? Maybe this is one reason Johnny Smith kept a gun in the neck pocket of his guitar case.

User Info Menu

A befriended trumpet player had his trumpet stolen in between sets in a bar in Amsterdam. In between sets!!! Can you believe it? Couldn't finish the gig even if he wanted to (but he probably was to upset to care about that).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    Do You have a pic of this file box in action?
    Amazon.com : Office Depot Mobile Folding Cart With Lid, 16in.H x 18in.W x 15in.D, Black, 50801 : Office Storage Supplies : Office Products

This links to a picture of the one I have, or very similar.

I have had mine for a couple of years. The handle doesn't lock in position as well as it used to, but otherwise it's perfect.