Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread

Archtop Gig Bag Recommendation

Hi,

I'm looking for a quality gig bag that will fit an Eastman AR810CE Archtop.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

I like the Mono "Acoustic Guitar Sleeve" and it's what I mainly use. It's lighter than their regular model but still very protective. It has two external pockets (a pocket within a pocket); I removed (by cutting along stitches) the main external pocket to make it more compact.

I use a Mono dreadnought bag. It's quite bulky.

Glenn Cronkhite bags are the very best you can buy. I believe Glenn recently retired and his business has been passed on but the quality is still excellent. Guitar Bags – Glenn Cronkhite Custom Cases

Quote Originally Posted by setemupjoe View Post
    Glenn Cronkhite bags are the very best you can buy. I believe Glenn recently retired and his business has been passed on but the quality is still excellent. Guitar Bags – Glenn Cronkhite Custom Cases
    +1 on these! The new company has actually been making similar bags for horns for years, so I would trust Glenn's choice to pass on his legacy.

Depending on your location, you could try Harvest Fine Leather | Harvest Fine Leather . I had huge problems finding a suitable gig bag for my 17“ Elferink. Mono bags officially stop at just above 16“, as their sales rep told me...

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    I use a Mono dreadnought bag. It's quite bulky.
    I also checked out but passed on the Mono dreadnought - I'm glad I waited for the "Acoustic sleeve" model. It's quite a bit more compact especially if you take scissors to the external pocket like I did (still enough room for some strings, patch cable, some leadsheets).

i m using a mooradian gigbag for my dreadnought and one for my 17' archtop. Have had four of them for almost 20 years actually , they held up pretty nice. Not the best in terms of collision protection though, you have to be a bit careful with the instruments

I love my Reunion Blues RBX Hollow Body/Semi-Hollow Body Gig Bag. It has a very comfortable handle, padded backpack straps and extra padding in the bottom so you can stand it up. It's light, well-padded and very protective. I use it for my ES-175 or ES-335. Both fit well. I paid around $110 for it at Chicago Music Exchange. Good luck.
    I never practice my guitar — from time to time I just open the case and throw in a piece of raw meat. - Wes Montgomery
    Gibson ES-335 | Gibson ES-175 | Fender American Standard Telecaster | Martin HD-28V

I ended up getting the WolkPak for my 175. Read the review here: Trying to pick between 2 gig bags
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

The only wise recommendation I can give you is to never put a spruce topped guitar in a gig bag.

Ignorance is agony.

I have an Eastman 810CE as well and I use the Reunion Blues RB Continental Dreadnought gig bag. It’s bulky but it provides great protection and allows for easy taking in and out from a standing position. My only complaint is that it doesn’t have a cut out for the end pin (like some other bags do) so standing the bag on end may jar the end pin since it will absorb the shock instead of the lower bout. After having my end pin jack repaired (it was getting noisy), my repair person pointed out the bag’s slight flaw and I improvised by placing a couple of camera bag foam pads in the bottom of the bag (on either side of the end pin) to relieve the pressure on the end pin. Works great and I’m otherwise very pleased with the bag and the protection it affords. No problem with banging into door jams or tossing it (gently) into the back of my car.

Update - just checked the RB Continental on Amazon and it looks like it does include pads to protect the end pin. Nice to think that my comments to Reunion Blues were incorporated into the new design.

Quote Originally Posted by Solo Flight View Post
    I have an Eastman 810CE as well and I use the Reunion Blues RB Continental Dreadnought gig bag. It’s bulky but it provides great protection and allows for easy taking in and out from a standing position. My only complaint is that it doesn’t have a cut out for the end pin (like some other bags do) so standing the bag on end may jar the end pin since it will absorb the shock instead of the lower bout. After having my end pin jack repaired (it was getting noisy), my repair person pointed out the bag’s slight flaw and I improvised by placing a couple of camera bag foam pads in the bottom of the bag (on either side of the end pin) to relieve the pressure on the end pin. Works great and I’m otherwise very pleased with the bag and the protection it affords. No problem with banging into door jams or tossing it (gently) into the back of my car.
    If I may ask, how long is your Eastman including strap button? Is there any space above the headstock and the inside of the case or does it touch the padding?
    I am currently trying to find a good quality gig bag for my Epiphone Joe Pass and I’m concerned about the guitar being too long for the bag. Mine’s just about 42 inches long.

I’ve been considering the new RB Continental Voyager or the Mono Acoustic Guitar Sleeve. The new RB has the added pads which might just make the internal length of the case shorter. Not very useful in my situation.

I also saw the SKB SC-18 which is cheaper but seems to be a lightweight hard case with backpack straps rather than a padded gigbag. Not sure about the quality though. Only problem with this one is I've seen 3 different measurements on 3 different websites and I dunno which one to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02 View Post
    The only wise recommendation I can give you is to never put a spruce topped guitar in a gig bag.
    As painful as that was, the video didn't explain what actually happened. That damage was not from "carrying" an archtop in a gig bag; my guess is the guy "traveled" with it by plane or train, and some handler threw it down, stacked things on top of it, etc. I would never travel by plane with an archtop in a gig bag unless I were guaranteed (somehow) the guitar would not leave my side.

I go to all my gigs, with some expensive guitars, using gig bags.

16. In the broken archtop video, the culprit was a slip and fall on an icy sidewalk. What I can't say for sure is if it was a MONO/new school RB bag or a Mooradian/old school RB one. The airlines are always the usual suspect, but this one was standard taxi to jazz club travel in the winter....

PK

And this is why one should play a telecaster

And this is why one should play a telecaster
    haha that’s what I thought. I don’t really play out but if I eventually do, I will probably get a tele rather than risk my quite valuable 175.

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    haha that’s what I thought. I don’t really play out but if I eventually do, I will probably get a tele rather than risk my quite valuable 175.
    Oh, but a 175 is such a brilliant gigging machine, it would be unfair to NEVER gig it. I have a vintage one that I care a lot about (I daresay not as valuable as yours) and it's my main gigging axe. But:

When I drive, I take my 175. I'm never happy schlepping it on the tube, because my options are:

1) take it in a hard case, which can be a bit hard to manage if I also need to carry an amp.
    or
    2) take it in a massive-ass mono case that makes me the WORST MAN IN THE WORLD on rush hour transport.

In this kind of situation, I'd rather take my tele, if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by paulkogut View Post
    In the broken archtop video, the culprit was a slip and fall on an icy sidewalk. What I can't say for sure is if it was a MONO/new school RB bag or a Mooradian/old school RB one. The airlines are always the usual suspect, but this one was standard taxi to jazz club travel in the winter....

PK
    Wow, crazy!

Oh, but a 175 is such a brilliant gigging machine, it would be unfair to NEVER gig it. I have a vintage one that I care a lot about (I daresay not as valuable as yours) and it's my main gigging axe. But:

When I drive, I take my 175. I'm never happy schlepping it on the tube, because my options are:

1) take it in a hard case, which can be a bit hard to manage if I also need to carry an amp.
    or
    2) take it in a massive-ass mono case that makes me the WORST MAN IN THE WORLD on rush hour transport.

In this kind of situation, I'd rather take my tele, if possible.
    actually mine’s mid-70s (eek! Norlin!) so yours might be even more valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by Naqagatzz View Post
    If I may ask, how long is your Eastman including strap button? Is there any space above the headstock and the inside of the case or does it touch the padding?
    I am currently trying to find a good quality gig bag for my Epiphone Joe Pass and I’m concerned about the guitar being too long for the bag. Mine’s just about 42 inches long.

I’ve been considering the new RB Continental Voyager or the Mono Acoustic Guitar Sleeve. The new RB has the added pads which might just make the internal length of the case shorter. Not very useful in my situation.

I also saw the SKB SC-18 which is cheaper but seems to be a lightweight hard case with backpack straps rather than a padded gigbag. Not sure about the quality though. Only problem with this one is I've seen 3 different measurements on 3 different websites and I dunno which one to believe.
    My 810 measures 42 1/2 inches - the headstock just about touches the top of the inside pad - but that's with the extra pads I put in at the bottom. RB should be able to tell you the exact inside measurements if they're not already listed.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed