The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 47 of 47

User Info Menu

Last my gig I have problems with power cable .
    I thaught that my expensive AER out but it was ok(knock on wood!).
    Now I know - ...take backing power cable.
    I think about backing amp.
    kris

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    What, may I ask, is a kettlelead?
    A technically inaccurate but widely used (in the UK at least) term for a detachable mains power lead for e.g. an amplifier. They are very similar to a kettle power lead, which can be used in a pinch.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I thought I was marginally fluent in UKisms, but that was probably optimistic.

User Info Menu

Chocolate biscuits
    Spare trousers
    Jim jams

User Info Menu

Spare valves for my valve amp

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    What about a towel?
    Good point.

Redirect Notice

I think Mos Def/Yasiin Bey is possibly the only person to have ever ‘rocked’ a towel.

A copy of Ulysses, maybe? For set breaks?

User Info Menu

Your mama's drawers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Spare valves for my valve amp
    You gig with a tube amp? Masochist.

User Info Menu

One guitar, a Microcube amp, bungee straps, looper pedal, cables, spare picks, batteries and strings .... the cube sounds ok thru a PA, if need be. ....and a setlist on my cell phone because I'm absent-minded. I ride a bicycle.

I have never clipped replacement string ends, they just dangle there for the rest of the gig.

BTW, a soldering iron??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Good point.

Redirect Notice

I think Mos Def/Yasiin Bey is possibly the only person to have ever ‘rocked’ a towel.
    Danny Gatton would dispute that:

User Info Menu

All the booze they have in Love Hotel refrigerators.
    A girl from Chile who worked a peep show took me to a Love Hotel my 2nd night in Osaka. Her dime. When we left I lied to myself and said look at this fridge full of booze! It must be a present so I loaded my guitar case.
    We go to the counter to check out and naturally they did inventory by the time we got there.
    I was so f$@ing embarrassed unloading all these bottles from my guitar case that I never stole anything again in my life.

P.S.
    I have taken a roll of toilet paper or scotch brite pad from work a few times but I refuse to beat myself up about it.
    Last edited by Stevebol; 12-12-2017 at 05:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bleakanddivine
    Danny Gatton would dispute that:

Differently rocking

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I usually keep an AER in the boot of my motor.

User Info Menu

Lot of people have the obvious covered. Outside of the typical list:

Wallet
    . Pay for band
    . Extra picks

I play home-built amps so I bring an emergency unit:
    . Pencil box -- yes, really -- with EHX 44 Magnum amp, power supply, speaker-cord w/adapter to fit combo cab
    . Sometimes another pencil box with Hall of Fame Mini reverb, power supply & cord

User Info Menu

Big girls.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    Considering you're in NY it makes sense to travel light.
    Well, I do live in SF now, but, I still bring the minimum because there is basically nowhere in SF that I would park and leave anything of value in my car. Car break-ins (via a smashed window) are a huge problem and happen constantly. I run to work, and it's very rare for me not to see a car with a smashed window on my way to work. You can also see people openly shooting up on Market and 7th pretty much 24/7, which is probably not unrelated to the theft problem. The whole situation is very sad.

User Info Menu

I play with a band in that neighborhood occasionally. Several musicians have suffered break-ins.

I leave nothing in the car and I still worry about it.

I feel safer on the streets of NYC (at least, everywhere I've gone) than I do in that part of SF.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    No point playing an amp somebody else built, so tubes it is.

User Info Menu

I haven't gigged with a guitar, but on the gigs I've done as a bassist (note: electric, not upright) I pretty much take only the stuff that fits in the bass case.

Usually they are so spacious you can fit all the pedals (1-4), tools, spare batteries, picks, cords, strings (spares also), strap, towel etc. inside the hard case. Less stuff to carry and worry about.

User Info Menu

Soldering iron!
    Last gig the bass players amp blew up so we used me Cube 60 amp lined out to the bass cabinet.
    But the cab had a twist connector! Managed to locate a soldering iron for a fix just as we were due to go on stage for the first sesh.
    So now I take a soldering iron.

User Info Menu

Better to just have some adapter cables. I always have some Speakon to 1/4" adapters available, both ways (male and female) and a Speakon female/female connector to make an extension cable. I prefer Speakon by far, and I hate using 1/4" plugs for speakers, but sometimes you have to, depending on the amp or cabinet.