The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 42 of 42

User Info Menu

I do prefer to have the amp further away. With a wireless system that's easy. If you need the controls handy, that can be done with a head and a long speaker cable. Of course, the distance can be dictated by the available space, and I don't know of anything that can be done about that.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Maybe a different view here. I play gigs regularly at clubs for say 30 to 50 people. I never have a concern about hearing myself but I am concerned about blending with the group. If I have the amp beaming me (say beside my head) I cannot blend with the band but I also do not want to beam the audience. Nothing worse that hitting a high note and seeing someone wince because it is hitting hard 3 or 4 metres off the stage. To remedy I set up my chair with my dress jacket over the back and my amp goes right behind me. My jacket/body acts like a beam blocker, I hear everything and I seem to blend better with the trio or quartets. No audience wincng either.
    Last edited by Roberoo; 06-19-2018 at 11:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    Nothing but cymbal hiss in my ear all night.
    You wanna talk about something that'll kill your hearing, get near a rock drummer going full-tilt -- those cymbals will wreck some ears.

User Info Menu

I got my amp into a table behind me. Worked fine.

Talked with a fellow about Henriksen. They aren’t going to be significantly louder than what I’ve already got. That being said, I found someone who is interested in trading his Twin for a Deluxe. I just happen to have one.

Any suggestions for an amp stand?

I use a $25 rolling file box. It's great. My amp fits inside on one end. The rest of my gear fits around it or on it. My guitar goes on my back.

On the gig, I put my bags and jacket in the box and then the amp on top of it.

Works great.

But, my amp is 26 lbs. I don't think I'd put a Twin Reverb on it.

User Info Menu

When I use to be in a band my amp was near me on a stand and I'd angle it towards or away from me to adjust the amount I would hear it. That way I could use the amp as a monitor in concert with the amount the rest of the band would hear it.

I once set up next to the high hat and the bass player stamped her foot and said she wouldn't play unless I moved. Apparently that is where the bass player is suppose to set up.

If I was playing a hollow body the amp would go to my left, the neck side of the guitar, to reduce feedback.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    I got my amp into a table behind me. Worked fine.

Talked with a fellow about Henriksen. They aren’t going to be significantly louder than what I’ve already got. That being said, I found someone who is interested in trading his Twin for a Deluxe. I just happen to have one.

Any suggestions for an amp stand?
    For a Deluxe or a Twin, I really like Fender’ Tilt-back legs. One less thing to carry and does not add much to the weight.

For my DV Mark Little Jazz, my pair of bamboo yoga blocks does a very nice job of getting the amp just far enough off of ground. The LJ, blocks, all my chords and my sole pedal fit in a faux leather duffle I got at a marathon years ago. Ultra portable. I set up the amp a couple feet behind me and to my left at small venues.

Where to put guitar amp on stage?-752b2a5a-8e5c-46cf-a041-7b8e9096455d-jpg

User Info Menu

I got my amp up off the floor and aimed at my head. Much better.

I toyed with a new amp but decided instead to put tilt back legs on my DRRI, replace the Jensen speaker with a more efficient (93 spl to 103 spl) Eminence hempdawg, and the Eurotube clean headroom re-tube kit.

Fingers crossed.

User Info Menu

There's so many variables that it's hard to really say how I set up.

- Venue (room size, stage)
    - Crowd size
    - Sound system
    - Band size
    - Type of band
    - Amp

My old tweed Fender Pro does most everything I need. Usually it's near the drummer somewhere and pointed forward towards the crowd. The 15" speaker fills the stage fairly well but can get lost the further away a listener gets. So I mic it whenever I play larger venues. And if I'm micing it, I'm free to move it around as long as the others can hear it okay.

And if it's an outdoor gig? Throw everything I just said out the window.

User Info Menu

I think the eazy thing to do is use 2 speaker cabs

User Info Menu

The few times I saw Gilad Heskselnan he was almost sitting in his Twin Reverb:

And they don’t play loud at all, with lots if dynamics.

I like being close to the amp myself, but not with my ears in the ‘beam’:

Or like this:

From the audience it sounded like this:

User Info Menu

Related to placement is the powering up of a tube amp. There is a scenario to avoid...

You show up dutifully early, place your amp, plug it into a service outlet, and turn it on... As the others needing power (bass, keys, P.A., etc...) start plugging in their stuff they start rearranging - they pull your plug out, stick it into a power strip, and plug that in, in order to share the strip... various other ways this happens, but the point is that your powered up amp is quickly unplugged and plugged back in.
    The way to avoid this is to wait until everyone else has satisfied themselves with their plugging topology and won't be making any more changes... you plug in last, power up last.

Tube amps can be damaged if powered off and then back on too quickly; especially if your amp uses a tube rectifier.
    Last edited by pauln; 09-11-2018 at 07:04 PM.

User Info Menu

I have a great gig last night and found MY ideal placement. The stage layout necessitated a conventional trumpet, bone and sax configuration (big band). The rhythm section was ‘squeezed’ to the left of the stage (as viewed by the audience). The drums were at the back, keys just in front of the drums and bass and guitar (me) at the front (in line with the sax).
    My amp was directly behind me but with a long lead to the speaker cab that was placed just in front of the trumpets and behind the bones. I loved it, I could hear the band and balance my sound against the other instruments (and more to the point complement the rest of the band).

One problem …. the bones complained that I was too loud for them!

User Info Menu

If there’s a wall at the back of the performance area or on either side, I put my amp close to it……backwards. Pointing the speaker at the wall diffuses the sound up and around, and moving it closer to or further from the wall tunes both bass and dispersion. An inch or two can make a big difference, as can a lift under the front of the amp. There’s no beaming, and the whole band can hear me much better at lower stage volume than I’d use if I pointed it at the audience in any location.

If there are multiple potential locations for it, I try a few to find the one that works best. But the best location in most settings is at the back of the stage / performance area somewhere in the center. Corners reinforce bass, which increases feedback and makes most guitars sound a bit muddy.

I’ve done this regardless of cabinet design for years - Boogie, Twin, RE etc. Back waves from an open cab don’t beam highs. And the convex cone back is a huge point source that radiates sound in all directions. So the bigness from phase effects is still there with an open back - it’s just a little different. All of my cabs are closed back and ported now, but I used open cabs for decades.

User Info Menu

All those saying "I couldn't hear myself", "others were too loud", "other musicians said all they heard was me too loud"...

I played in the school band with over a hundred others, every school day including summers, for years... I don't recall anyone ever saying they could not hear themselves, that others were too loud, or that all they heard was someone else too loud. Of course our music had the dynamics indicated in the score with symbols for level (ppp, pp, p, mp, mf, f, ff, fff), for changes (cresc., decresc., dim.) and hairpins (<, >), and additional details and circumstances provided by dozens of Italian words and phrases. But we also had a conductor. And nothing had knobs that went to 11.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    If there’s a wall at the back of the performance area or on either side, I put my amp close to it……backwards. Pointing the speaker at the wall diffuses the sound up and around, and moving it closer to or further from the wall tunes both bass and dispersion.
    That sounds like an interesting idea and I have not heard that before - I will try it!

User Info Menu

One problem …. the bones complained that I was too loud for them!" nbevan3

Hi, N,
    Listen to the bone players!
    Marinero