Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Have been hangin here for 3 years, learning jazz for four and I crossed the line, actually did a gig. Two actually and it went so well asked to do another at a winery in a few weeks.

thanks heaps to Jordan so much inspiration and knowledge. To all the contributors Christian, Mark Rhodes, Destiny, Robert, also ran, the dude that has the Grant Green photo as his signature and there is plenty others thing huge thank you for your knowledge and inspiration it has kept me going when the light dimmed you are responsible for one more hack guitarist annoying people that want to have a beer in peace.

The gig itself was unreal. From the first bar the energy was ridiculous the band was just on Candy Lips was our opener and it pumped. Our first set closed with Palesteena and it was ridiculously fun and man was it fast and loud. The crowd just loved it, my new Quilter MicroHD12 sounded fabulous, especially on the beautiful ballad Aura Lee.

i got to take a few solos played some good lines, played some shockers as lost my place but no one seemed to care don’t think the crowd new.

cant wait for the next one. Thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images Thanks guys - I gigged-e8c54191-81a8-4838-bbb3-2cd4c8904f5b-jpg Thanks guys - I gigged-4e5b47ab-7baa-4058-bc56-f57cbc0f7a0c-jpeg 
    “When you’re creating your own ...., man, even the sky ain’t the limit.”
    Miles Davis

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez View Post
    Have been hangin here for 3 years, learning jazz for four and I crossed the line, actually did a gig. Two actually and it went so well asked to do another at a winery in a few weeks.

thanks heaps to Jordan so much inspiration and knowledge. To all the contributors Christian, Mark Rhodes, Destiny, Robert, also ran, the dude that has the Grant Green photo as his signature and there is plenty others thing huge thank you for your knowledge and inspiration it has kept me going when the light dimmed you are responsible for one more hack guitarist annoying people that want to have a beer in peace.

The gig itself was unreal. From the first bar the energy was ridiculous the band was just on Candy Lips was our opener and it pumped. Our first set closed with Palesteena and it was ridiculously fun and man was it fast and loud. The crowd just loved it, my new Quilter MicroHD12 sounded fabulous, especially on the beautiful ballad Aura Lee.

i got to take a few solos played some good lines, played some shockers as lost my place but no one seemed to care don’t think the crowd new.

cant wait for the next one. Thanks again.
    Awesome. Need more threads like this. :-)

User Info Menu

That's fantastic Triple G! Wish we could've all been there to catch it.

thank you for your knowledge and inspiration it has kept me going when the light dimmed you are responsible for one more hack guitarist annoying people that want to have a beer in peace.

Best line I think I've read on this forum since I joined
    Welcome to the club! haha

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher View Post
    Awesome. Need more threads like this. :-)
    Definitely!

Now you're hooked Gomez! Your life will never be the same again: the daytime job will loose its relevance, all you can think of is the setlist, you'll be constantly looking for the next gig.....

:: Jazz, Funk, Soul & Boogaloo: My group ::
    ::::::: Listen to Hip Jazz a Go Go! :::::::
    :: Jazz, Soul, Blues: Eva & The Tracies :::

User Info Menu

Good news! Happy for you!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A long journey starts with the first step...and although I have long forgotten about my destination I'm still enjoying the journey.

User Info Menu

Best regards, k

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Wow! One of us finally graduated! And when I say "us" I am referring to those of us that came to this forum wanting to learn to play Jazz. I am thinking there might be more.

I am so happy for you GGG. You were positive from Day one and helped contribute to the good feelings around here.

Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

User Info Menu

Dam all these people are popping up that I did not thank, apologies. Thank you.

For my fellow beginners the things I have learnt from this jump off the diving board:

1. most likely you already know enough (I listened very intensely to the sax and trumpet etc and thought hey there is nothing complicated in what they are playing, they are really just sticking to arpeggios and it sounds fantastic. I on the other hand was a mess trying to play more, getting too complicated and lost. Why could I comp playing chords three notes at a time but get so lost playing a improv when I am only playing one note at a time.)

2. the most important things when improvising are things I had not been focusing on. I have been searching for more infromation when the key things have been with me I just have/had not truely learnt them (even after years of playing):

i Stay in time
    ii Keep your place in the tune
    iii No those arpeggios
    iv Mix up the rhythm and shape in your improv

I really believe that this is all you really need to be armed with. The colour notes come eg the 6th and flat 5 on a blues etc but the above are the keys and enough to get you out there.

- comping is seriously fun. You become familiar with the songs and you struggle to keep up you look for easier ways of playing. Three note chords on the d g and b string sound so great and have really opened my ears. Fast numbers like Just You Just Me and Sweet Georgia Brown I was quickly ooking for easier ways to play the chords and quickly learnt that a Bb triad shares the notes of Gm7, F dim and G etc etc so you can find nearly every chord in one position on those three strings.

- Charlie Christian has the keys, for the next part of my journey at least. I was studying Grant Green and I think I learnt alot but still too much going over my head. I can really understand Charlie Christian's playing he adds just enough colour notes to the arpeggios that makes it understandable to me in what he is doing and I think he really exploits the eccentricity and electricity of the guitar.

In summary, boy does the KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid) principle apply to this complex music.

Cheers
    Mark
    Miles Davis

User Info Menu

Fist real gig done, what a treat. Played at a winery pizzaria 30odd people, some really got into it.
    my guitar and I have become one. Pretty chuffed, the journey continues, next chapter please.
    Miles Davis

User Info Menu

Fist real gig done, what a treat. Played at a winery pizzaria 30odd people, some really got into it.
    my guitar and I have become one. Pretty chuffed, the journey continues, next chapter please.
    I would say your next chapter would be a regular gig. Weekly or monthly, paid or not. Develop a repertoire with other like minded musicians

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Awesome brother. Now your playing will get even better! Nothing improves your playing more than gigging. Taking endless lessons and woodshedding is helpful, but you gotta get out there and gig.
    "If I don't practice for a day, I know it... for two days, the critics know it... three days, the public knows it." -- Louis Armstrong

User Info Menu

From the Better-Late-Than-Never Dept, congrats, bud. Ain't it a wonderful feeling skydiving without a parachute?

(I've never gigged jazz, and would be terrified of doing so.)

User Info Menu

Two hurdles for me there, sax dude is a dick and we are playing trad which I don’t dig. But yeah I can see the benefit of sticking with it. They have agreed to do some tunes I like so away we go.

Will try and post a recording may help all those people that are way better than I to get out of the bedroom and out there you know where you may be publicly stoned if your no good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Miles Davis

User Info Menu

Fantastic Mark!!!! Many congratulations.

User Info Menu

sax dude is a dick
    haha, are they all born like that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    haha, are they all born like that?
    I always thought it was the bass player.

User Info Menu

sax dude is a dick
    lmao almost always

User Info Menu

Great Mark. Once a while ago I saw you were into cycling and I couldn't help thinking that's where you have the discipline from. Well anyways, congrats!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yaclaus View Post
    Great Mark. Once a while ago I saw you were into cycling and I couldn't help thinking that's where you have the discipline from. Well anyways, congrats!
    Have not renewed my race licence for 2018. That's it I am now committed.

Have a bebop group rehearsing. Going great.
    Miles Davis

User Info Menu

cool gig! If you want a chance to play standards every week, there's a jam on down at blondies at southbank near the recital centre and the VCA (it hasn't started back up yet though).