The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 77

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I recently saw Joe Locke (the vibes player) and after the gig he had boxes of his recent CDs for sale. He was friendly and chatted to all the people who were interested, and signed the CDs if they wanted. He shifted loads of them.
    That's how you do it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

He is obviously still maturing and has a way to go. But that aside, as mrcee said, CD's are dead. The kid should make some youtube videos and promote them on-line - no money, but good PR if he's TRULY worthy. On his page he can advertise he's available for bookings in whatever area he resides...or maybe even lessons.

In this day and age, to make it one must bring something new to the table. There's almost no room for a 'me-too' player, especially one with his attitude.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Many of us who WOULD buy a CD on-site aren't going to get around to it if we have to go all the way home and log on to something to download tracks or pay on our phone etc.
    It occurred to me a musician could get business cards printed and distribute them all over the venue. They would have one of those barcodes printed on them, so you could scan it with the phone and it would take you to the site and maybe give you one free track, and an easy way to download and purchase the others.

Make it as easy as possible!

User Info Menu

He needs to tour, and sell gigs on the tour.

That's the only place people are buying cd's

Tell him to spend 2-3 hrs a day practicing hustling and if he complains explain to him that this is EXACTLY what Pat Metheny had to do.

That should stop his whining :-)
    Last edited by christianm77; 01-24-2017 at 03:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Didn't Pat Metheny spend years driving the length and breadth of the US and doing about 300 gigs a year or something crazy, just to establish a following for his group? Sure I read that somewhere.

User Info Menu

Yup

User Info Menu

Being Facebook friends with Nigel Price is always good for updates on the life of a professional phone call maker and emailer - sorry i mean Jazz guitarist

User Info Menu

Being a pro means you have to be prepared to treat it in part like a supremely badly paid office job.

The reward is you get to play choons

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Didn't Pat Metheny spend years driving the length and breadth of the US and doing about 300 gigs a year or something crazy, just to establish a following for his group? Sure I read that somewhere.
    Yeah, he played a lot of colleges. Probably played to a lot of people whose entire jazz record collection consisted of "Kind of Blue" and "Time Further Out".
    Last edited by goldenwave77; 01-24-2017 at 05:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Two for 1 deal with JoelFass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Sorry someone had to say it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    Sorry someone had to say it

You guys from the other side of the world are the only rivals for New Yorkers when it comes to sense of humor!

User Info Menu

By the way, while we're all agreeing on the importance on finding ways to network and promote albums....

I got my new CDs in the mail yesterday!!!
    And hopefully today (gotta go check in a minute) I should be receiving some test prints for some of the artwork that I'm considering offering during the two week preorder period that's coming up soon in February. I want to do a quality check with the artwork in hand before I start talking about offering it. But assuming it looks good, it will be offered as part of the package. I no, I don't feel like I'm selling out by talking about music and artwork that I legitimately am happy about and think other people will dig. The only reason I'd feel like a sellout for talking about it is if I didn't personally dig the stuff myself. In which case, there's an obvious solution to that problem. Go back to the drawing board and work on making better art.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by goldenwave77
    Yeah, he played a lot of colleges. Probably played to a lot of people whose entire jazz record collection consisted of "Kind of Blue" and "Time Further Out".
    Those are exactly the people you need to reach

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jordanklemons
    By the way, while we're all agreeing on the importance on finding ways to network and promote albums....

I got my new CDs in the mail yesterday!!!
    And hopefully today (gotta go check in a minute) I should be receiving some test prints for some of the artwork that I'm considering offering during the two week preorder period that's coming up soon in February. I want to do a quality check with the artwork in hand before I start talking about offering it. But assuming it looks good, it will be offered as part of the package. I no, I don't feel like I'm selling out by talking about music and artwork that I legitimately am happy about and think other people will dig. The only reason I'd feel like a sellout for talking about it is if I didn't personally dig the stuff myself. In which case, there's an obvious solution to that problem. Go back to the drawing board and work on making better art.
    Can I preorder in the uk?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Can I preorder in the uk?
    As long as it's not a pity preorder Christian... you're going to have to provide irrefutable evidence.

ha... sorry... jk

Yes, of course! Still trying to get it all setup, but it's looking like it will all be done through bandcamp. So either on my website and/or on my bandcamp page. As far as I know, people in the UK should have no issues accessing bandcamp's services. Right? So yeah, totally. And thank you! I'll be putting up updates and links when things get a touch closer. Just seemed like the right time to throw some self-promotion into this thread.

Anybody else got any albums in the works or recently out they want to plug here? Assuming the OP doesn't mind. Seems like it's in the same spirit as the thread was started regarding. Though, maybe I'm off-base there.

User Info Menu

Here guys, check this out, I saw someone posted on FB, a series of short documentaries about a NYC jazz musician. This episode has a CD marketing content. That's ... the reality

User Info Menu

Help to Jive that series is fantastic notwithstanding how down beat the guy is.

Seriously I would advise drop the concept of "selling". You sell chocolates on a 100 degree day at a service station. It is what a guy on another thread is doing, flogging product. That is soulless and does not sound like what he wants to do.

He has to generate something that people want to purchase and it is beyond just the music, it is a vibe an experience. He has to generate a following. Don't sell give.

Whether you study Jordan's progress of giving, the teasers the artwork etc or you go to Metallica in 1981 it was more than the music it was a vibe, a scene an expereience they stood for something they gave handing out demo cassettes parties back at their house etc, lets go back to the 50s the Rat Pack again a vibe an experience a fashion, Steve Lukather still runs video diaries of him in the studio still giving.

The new guys in addition to beutiful music give and build a following, Gilad Hekselman releases all these fantastic videos on you tube playing beautiful Beatles covers on roof tops, live videos from Smalls, Rotem Sivan even posts on facebook Contemporary Jazz Guitar along with us punters, Aaron Parks posts all these beautiful photos. I have found them all approachable and willing communicators, what a great time to be a music fan, I am not limited to reading an LP back cover I can contact these people and communicate directly. I can follow their progress in real time, not wondering what they are doing for 2 years in between releases, I can have a skype lesson with them, watch a gig, read their road stories in real time etc etc

The channels to your people are free, except the cost of pulling a telephone out of your pocket, it is a new direct dynamic X billion people looking right now to be touched by a feeling.

And as someone else said, an important part I think of giving and from what I can see others doing, is gigs. An extreme I was at an ACDC concert about 8 years ago. 40,000 people and I think about 5,000 must have bought devil horns at $15 a pop, how is the math, 200 concert in a year say *15 * 5000. People buying the experience. Thats entertainment.

User Info Menu

gggomez,

Wow. How different that thinking is. I have not often heard of read of artists wanting to "give out" love and an experience. For most, at least in my limited experience, it was about them enjoying making music, reaping rewards, and thoroughly immersing themselves in the scene and hoping they can be held in high esteem.

Here you are talking about making it a situation in which an artist comes to serve his fellow man, and not worrying about monetary rewards.

It kind of becomes a bit of a ministry, like a nurse that I used to know who was so good with her patients, and who worked late and would skip lunch without asking for more pay. She was always in demand, too.

In reality, I don't know how many of us could be that way. The old saying of "what's in it for me" rules a lot of our decisions.

Still, I like the basic idea of not forgetting about your audience and making sure they get "theirs" even as you try to get "yours."

Food for thought.

User Info Menu

Agreed - it's a great way to think, an act.

That said, for most people it is very hard to get away from worries about money. If you can do this then you are very advanced (or rich :-))

User Info Menu

Listen what gggomez has to say is not off the wall, at all.

What is the most profitable department in most department stores? Answer, ladies cosmetics.

Why is this? The store is not selling a stick of coloring agent to apply to your lips. It is selling the chance to be loved...admired....wanted....envied, perhaps. Primitive tribes figure out ways to mark off certain, individuals who get special treatment, or status...same deal. Every woman wants to be beautiful...and if the product is expensive, so much the better...."You are worth it, honey".

in the old days, you didn't go to rent a car, to get you from place A to B: You let Hertz (an American Car Rental Agency) "put you in the driver's seat" !. Wheels, a good-looking car...and those admiring females in the ads are not there by mistake, either.

Go to a meeting of WeightWatchers, one of my gf's friends joined, and was so excited, we just had to go, and see what it was about with her. What it was (and is) about....is a revival camp meeting atmosphere....people get up and tell their stories, and they get validation from the other groups members....people clap...isn't it great how we all care about each other, and are all getting slimmer together?

User Info Menu

When women are given cosmetics to try, with no label, they almost always choose the cheapest brand, saying that it lasts longer, looks better, etc. The expensive brands are almost always rejected. But that reverses when they know the brand. This has been shown in many blind tests, by Consumer Reports and other organizations. Cosmetics are profitable because they're very cheap to produce, maybe a dime for a lipstick, and sold for many times that. It's similar for many other products. How much profit do you think Louis Vuitton makes on a $3,000 purse? Or $700 shoes? Both made of plastic. I know, they have the logo, but the logo isn't expensive to produce, witness the tons of fakes being sold for much less than the real ones. Another example is Microsoft products. Buggy, poor performers, but everyone just has to have them. Microsoft (Bill Gates) only talent is marketing, but that's a huge talent. You don't need to have musical talent, nor any other talent, if you can market well.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=sgosnell;735319]When women are given cosmetics to try, with no label, they almost always choose the cheapest brand, saying that it lasts longer, looks better, etc. The expensive brands are almost always rejected.

Not in my experience. Both of my daughters and my ex-wife, none of whom are spendthrifts, claim they can tell the difference between cheaper brands, and the better stuff...the mascara is grainier, the lipstick doesn't cover as well. Some of the brands cause their skin to break out, or react poorly.

Another example is Microsoft products. Buggy, poor performers, but everyone just has to have them. Microsoft (Bill Gates) only talent is marketing, but that's a huge talent.

I agree with this, but this is an "installed base" problem. I bought BIAB for the PC. Why? Because every office I ever worked in used PC's and not Apple Computers. There was vastly more software written for PC's...so the "rich get richer" in this kind of scenario. I've often said, though, that Bill Gates' legacy to the world, is crummy software.

I HATE having to learn/upgrade new software. And I'm not really a technophobe. I took several programming courses in college, did well, and actually wrote software back in 1975, pre-PC, when I was fifteen yrs. old. But it is truly tedious keeping up with the latest incarnation of this and that. And actually part of me agrees with Joel Fass that there is a lot of weirdness that this digital world of ours is producing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    gggomez,

Wow. How different that thinking is. I have not often heard of read of artists wanting to "give out" love and an experience. For most, at least in my limited experience, it was about them enjoying making music, reaping rewards, and thoroughly immersing themselves in the scene and hoping they can be held in high esteem.

Here you are talking about making it a situation in which an artist comes to serve his fellow man, and not worrying about monetary rewards.

It kind of becomes a bit of a ministry, like a nurse that I used to know who was so good with her patients, and who worked late and would skip lunch without asking for more pay. She was always in demand, too.

In reality, I don't know how many of us could be that way. The old saying of "what's in it for me" rules a lot of our decisions.

Still, I like the basic idea of not forgetting about your audience and making sure they get "theirs" even as you try to get "yours."

Food for thought.
    I got to watch Lenny White interview Stanley Clarke a couple years ago. Fantastic conversation between two friendly giants. I got to speak with them both a bit afterwards. I didn't know this until the 'interview,' but apparently Stanley doesn't just play bass anymore... he brings other musical projects to the world... like composing film scores. But he told me that he sees his job as putting love into the world. He talked about how much hate and discontent and anger he sees in the world... how much suffering and how many wars. He doesn't think of his job as playing music... he thinks of his job as trying to bring about love and beauty into a world that desperately needs more of it. Every note he thumps on the bass, every melody he writes into a composition, are - for him - little injections of love and appreciation to the world. Sort of reminded me of Coltrane saying he wanted to be a "force for good."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jordanklemons
    I got to watch Lenny White interview Stanley Clarke a couple years ago. Fantastic conversation between two friendly giants. I got to speak with them both a bit afterwards. I didn't know this until the 'interview,' but apparently Stanley doesn't just play bass anymore... he brings other musical projects to the world... like composing film scores. But he told me that he sees his job as putting love into the world. He talked about how much hate and discontent and anger he sees in the world... how much suffering and how many wars. He doesn't think of his job as playing music... he thinks of his job as trying to bring about love and beauty into a world that desperately needs more of it. Every note he thumps on the bass, every melody he writes into a composition, are - for him - little injections of love and appreciation to the world. Sort of reminded me of Coltrane saying he wanted to be a "force for good."
    That is interesting.

It makes me wonder how he feels about music that is full of anger and aggression. Does it tip the scales the other way - away from love and peace?