Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

So after several years without having played for an audience at all, tonight on about 36 hours notice I'll be playing Christmas/Seasonal tunes as "background music" for my wife's office party. I haven't actually carried guitar, amp, cables, etc. to set up and play tunes for a couple hours in YEARS.

Whatever your "higher power" is, please send prayers or smoke signals or happy thoughts that direction for me tonight, starting in about 3 hours!

Don't.Want.To.Choke.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That's great, positive thoughts coming your way. The main thing is have fun and enjoy it, it will come through in your playing. (But just in case you might want to wear sunglasses,a wig and mustache so people don't recognize you.)

Which guitar will you be playing?

User Info Menu

Remember to breathe, you'll be fine. It's a party, nobody wants you to suck, and you won't. Relax, and enjoy playing one of your several fine guitars. Best wishes, and Merry Christmas!
    Best regards, k

User Info Menu

Lawson, you'll be fine. But no eggnog during the first set.... ;o)
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone View Post
    So after several years without having played for an audience at all, tonight on about 36 hours notice I'll be playing Christmas/Seasonal tunes as "background music" for my wife's office party. I haven't actually carried guitar, amp, cables, etc. to set up and play tunes for a couple hours in YEARS.

Whatever your "higher power" is, please send prayers or smoke signals or happy thoughts that direction for me tonight, starting in about 3 hours!

Don't.Want.To.Choke.

How did it go?

User Info Menu

I just played tuba at the county farm bureau office party in the back of Gus' Feed and Grain Store.

User Info Menu

Actually I had a nice time. The hostess really wasn't expecting much and thought I was kind of a folk player but when i showed up with my kit, and warmed up with a line or two, she seemed to have a change of heart and was guardedly pleased at the prospect of my playing.

I played the Epiphone Elitist Broadway through the DV Mark Micro 50 head and my improvised 10" speaker cabinet. I know I might be excommunicated for this, but I also used several of the Aebersold tracks, which have some very fresh and fun arrangements of seasonal tunes.

I ended up having a lot of fun, people were very appreciative and nice in their comments, and i also worked hard to keep the volume at a level where they could enjoy their conversations but still, you know, hear me okay.

I played about 2 hours, and threw in "Unforgettable" "Wee Small Hours" and "When You Wish Upon a Star" when nobody was looking. "Wish Upon a Star" is arguably a Christmas song, right? I mean, it's got a star in it, right?
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

User Info Menu

I know I might be excommunicated for this, but I also used several of the Aebersold tracks, which have some very fresh and fun arrangements of seasonal tunes.
    Glad it went well, Lawson. Not at all surprised.
    As for the Aebersold's, I picked up Volume 125 on sale recently and am enjoying it. (Away in a Manger, Jingle Bells, Go Tell It On The Mountain, Up on the Housetop, Silent Night, and about as many more.) The arrangements are nice. Without something like that, the tunes are all over in 90 seconds! (Not if you're Joe Pass, of course, but I'm not Joe Pass, and further, I don't want to work on these the way I'm working on "Just Friends" and "Avalon".)
    "Learn the repertoire. It’s all in the songs. If you learn 200 songs, you will have no problem improvising."
    Frank Vignola

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes View Post
    Glad it went well, Lawson. Not at all surprised.
    As for the Aebersold's, I picked up Volume 125 on sale recently and am enjoying it. (Away in a Manger, Jingle Bells, Go Tell It On The Mountain, Up on the Housetop, Silent Night, and about as many more.) The arrangements are nice. Without something like that, the tunes are all over in 90 seconds! (Not if you're Joe Pass, of course, but I'm not Joe Pass, and further, I don't want to work on these the way I'm working on "Just Friends" and "Avalon".)
    What I like about the new Aebersold sets is they have replaced the human count-off (which is hard on using the tracks for performance) with a light rim-tap. I can hear it, but most in the audience won't notice it.
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

Actually I had a nice time. The hostess really wasn't expecting much and thought I was kind of a folk player but when i showed up with my kit, and warmed up with a line or two, she seemed to have a change of heart and was guardedly pleased at the prospect of my playing.

I played the Epiphone Elitist Broadway through the DV Mark Micro 50 head and my improvised 10" speaker cabinet. I know I might be excommunicated for this, but I also used several of the Aebersold tracks, which have some very fresh and fun arrangements of seasonal tunes.

I ended up having a lot of fun, people were very appreciative and nice in their comments, and i also worked hard to keep the volume at a level where they could enjoy their conversations but still, you know, hear me okay.

I played about 2 hours, and threw in "Unforgettable" "Wee Small Hours" and "When You Wish Upon a Star" when nobody was looking. "Wish Upon a Star" is arguably a Christmas song, right? I mean, it's got a star in it, right?
    Congrats.

Yes, definitely a Xmas song, there's also "gift" in the lyrics

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blille View Post
    Congrats.

Yes, definitely a Xmas song, there's also "gift" in the lyrics
    Done.
    (drops mic)
    - Lawson

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo View Post
    I just played tuba at the county farm bureau office party in the back of Gus' Feed and Grain Store.
    was this man there?
    Back Playing for an Audience Tonight-tve12256-19680214-141-jpg
    ES-175VOSsp..SadowskySemi..Ibanez S6521Q w/GK3..DV Mark LJ..Dispatch Master V2..Atomic CLR..BossGP10..Line6.G10
    https://soundcloud.com/user852059642/tracks