The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 40 of 40

User Info Menu

Barry Greene on his Facebook nano-concerts he does almost daily he has been playing to Aebersold tracks or sometimes one of the Drum Genius drum tracks from his iPhone. Last week he experimented with his iPhone with Drum Genius to his computer running Ableton Live. The iPhone via iOS automatically connects to his computer and appears as an input device in Ableton Live, so he started a Drum Genius track and had Ableton record it as he laid down a comping track. Then he told Ableton where to loop from and then ran Ableton and soloed over it. It was read fast to do, plus unlike a looper pedal he could change tempo, add more tracks and treat like a recording. So this had be thinking what a cool practice tools this could be could keep muliple comping and solo tracks to listen and analyze later.

Then thinking how many electronic artist use Ableton with one of pads with a matrix of buttons to trigger multiple loops, effects, and etc. Why not a solo guitarist could have multiple comping and other instrument tracks to punch in and out, sound effects and other types of loops. A laptop, trigger pad, and guitar could bring a lots sounds and varity to solo guitar.

I wonder if Ableton Live is what Rosenwinkel is using for his solo shows?

Looper Gigs-kurt-rosenwinkel-solo-setup-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    I bought a Freeze pedal at the same time - probably a better learning tool.
    I bought myself a freeze too.

I can do a bagpipe mimic with it.

Hit a Bb 3rd string 3rd fret with a bit of overdrive before the freeze. That's your drone then pentatonic the hell out of Bb for some faux Scottish melodies.
    Amazing Grace or Danny Boy.

Even marching tunes in 2/4 and 4/4 would work.

You'll go down a storm in folk clubs north of the border!

Looperz arr Funnn

User Info Menu

Does using a looper get better than Gilad Hekselman, the way he builds this is such a fantastic journey

User Info Menu

That does look like Ableton. I have one of those Axioms, same year design, just four octaves, tho,,,49 key model,,,that multicolored pedal between his feet looks like one of Ableton's proprietary Session Window drivers,,but I could be wrong on that. Depends on the age of the photo. A couple of other companies were making them, then Ableton came out with their own. Looks like one of the 19 inch RME interfaces, too. Nice.
    Last edited by guitarbard; 05-24-2016 at 02:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    Does using a looper get better than Gilad Hekselman, the way he builds this is such a fantastic journey
    He's using it as a compositional tool. Pretty inspiring.

User Info Menu

Amazing stuff in looping technology has come to the forefront since this thread popped .

I'm seriously getting one .

Anyone out there since this thread popped bought into any of the really wild ones ?

HR

User Info Menu

I didn't buy a really wild one, but changed to the TC ditto because it delivers a more natural sound than the one i have used before. However, i discovered some shortcomings which gave me a hard time on a couple of gigs until i succeeded with customization.

First i exchanged the volume knob with a round one as the "flat side" of he original one aligned with my shoe when i accidentally touched it, resulting in far to low playback volume. Then i noticed that even with the round knob it got easily turned unwanted when touching it accidentally so i cut out a couple of layers of abrasive sponge and squeezed them under the knob. Luckily the new knob has a screw to tighten so it firmly presses the sponge, resulting in a useful amount of turning resistance.

PS: i also bought 3M rubber feet which i glued on as three of the original feet fell off during the first outdoor gig i played with it.

Looper Gigs-foto-jpg
    Last edited by JazzNote; 02-18-2017 at 04:06 AM. Reason: foto added

User Info Menu

Yep these things that come up on you out of the blue can really throw you off at times .

My first experience with my GNX4 had it's moments too .

There is a " lock out " feature on the TC Helicon Vocal live 3 X that eliminates and accidental switch or knob from changing on you once you hit it .

They made it a firmware upload for the Vocal Live 3 .

Seems guitar cables could trigger a change if it rolled over some of the knobs .

Thanks for your input .

EZ :

HR

User Info Menu

EHX Canyon has a 60 second loop setting as well as a crazy load of echo, modulation and reverbs too.

Anyhow check the video....

Definately on the want list!
    Last edited by jazzbow; 02-18-2017 at 06:36 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow
    EHX Canyon has a 60 second loop setting as well as a crazy load of echo, modulation and reverbs too.

Anyhow check the video....

Definately on the want list!
    Thanks for the video , it really sounds fantastic . What's it worth ?

EZ:

HR

User Info Menu

It works out at £120/$150/€142. But street price may vary.

A lot of coin but a lot of features.

User Info Menu

This thing is impressive . The on the fly challenge is cool to co ordinate the execution of that

...................... " tap dance " ...................

The Digitech GNX4 DAW I had wan't fluid for live shows I found .

I could make my own backing tracks , but , that took away from the audience seeing the creative process turn out something spectacular .

EZ :

HR

Last edited by Hurricane Ramon; 02-22-2017 at 06:14 AM.

User Info Menu

First, I'd like to know where these gigs are. I'd check some out, but most establishments in my area want singing, preferably bands, if they have any live music at all. It's often the "no money, good exposure" conversation, but I digress.

I recently traded in my JamManStereo for a Dittox4. I found the JamMan difficult to use on the fly, without recording tracks and saving them. I prefer to do verse/chorus/verse or short loop over longer loop, which the Dittox4 allows. The Freeze also is a good tool for holding a chord while playing over it.

The bottom line, though, is a need to practice with the looping tools as if they're another instrument. I would like to see more looping with more than the just an A-A-A format where the same loop just grows repetitively. That's why i like the Dittox4.

User Info Menu

Hi !

I think of buying a Ditto x4 too. It seems to be a very great tool.
    Recently I'm into looper and I can say it's great. I don't need other musicians, that's the more unnatural thing on the other hand I can play the way I am.
    A very good thing is that I can interact with the people when they ask me what I am doing.
    The first time I used it for a gig, it was a bit difficult but with some practice I can say I've got it until the pedal get frozen.
    It's the cheapest loop pedal I found : Coolmusic Jammer...
    So I need something else.

My wife says that it could better if sometimes I played without a looper during a gig in order to break the routine.

I discovered I could play the guitar too, I would never have done it without the looper.

User Info Menu

Some will roll there eyes as Collier seems to get a lot of hate on this site, but this is pretty incredible use of a piano that seems to have looper technology built in, this is what is possible