The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

Hiya -

I just bought a little digital recorder to record rehearsals and gigs. The idea being that I'd like to hear how I sound when I play with other people.

Do other people do this? Do you find it helps?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

yea, I've had a little field recorder for the last 10 years or so. I used to play an Irish session and used it to record new tunes to learn

I play bass in pop bands and I'll also record tunes at rehearsal so I have the tunes with our arrangements and keys and all. Then I put the tunes in a playlist and run them down to practice

and its probably a good idea to record yourself from time to time

what I like about field recorders like the Zoom Hx series is that they are real easy to use. Just push to start and push to stop. There's an auto leveler and everything. That takes all the hassle of recording away and so I can just play

if somebody else wants to mike all the drums and get levels off everybody and babysit the mixing board while I just play, I'm all for that...but since I'm the one who used to work in studios, I get stuck with all that every time and its just distracting

User Info Menu

Definitely. Recording yourself is very important, IMHO.

User Info Menu

I've found the perspective helps. The next day, a solo that I thought was crappy may be fine, and vice versa.

More concretely, it really does help me decide where to concentrate my practice hours.

User Info Menu

Yes, it's as good as a swift kick in the butt. And I mean that in a good way.

User Info Menu

Recording yourself is a great tool, you can hear for yourself what you sound like and also remember so cool stuff to make notes on.

What is cool is with the live streaming on Facebook now some people are streaming their playng. One who does it a lot is pianist John Chin and he sets his phone on the end of the piano keyboard and stream shows, but mean he also has the recording for later. Others I've seen set a phone or tablet on side of stage and stream a set. Lets you bootleg yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Miller
    what I like about field recorders like the Zoom Hx series is that they are real easy to use. Just push to start and push to stop. There's an auto leveler and everything. That takes all the hassle of recording away and so I can just play
    The one I got is an H5. I recorded my GF's choral concert last weekend, and it sounded great even though I was sitting way in the back and just left the recorder on the arm of the seat.

I do record myself at home, because the computer is right there, so why not? But that has some of the drawbacks of doing stuff on your own: Predictable background, no interaction with humans, and the freedom to throw away bad takes. I want to hear what I sound like "in the heat of battle" so to speak.

User Info Menu

that H5 will be great, then. I have an old H2 that still works great. A friend has an H4, which is head and shoulders better than my old H2, so that H5 should suit you right down to the ground

its super handy to have at rehearsals because, like you've seen, you can set it anywhere and then just push to start and push to stop

I never have to ask the guys to wait for me to start the recording or anything. Its about as unobtrusive as anything I ever used and the sound is really pretty good.

User Info Menu

I've recorded a bunch of rehearsals and gigs, but only end up listening to a few of them. I try to listen as a detached observer, as if I were listening to critique a student's playing instead of thinking "that's me" and being overly critical of minor errors. It's easier for me to listen objectively if I let a little time pass before playing the recording.

destinytot Guest
    Fishbowl - just started using a looper and recording my noodling on video.
    Growth Mindset: Clearing up Some Common Confusions | MindShift | KQED News

User Info Menu

Why do I want to record my mistakes to listen to again? Jazz isn't about perfection. If I didn't make some mistakes, I was playing it too safe.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Why do I want to record my mistakes to listen to again? Jazz isn't about perfection. If I didn't make some mistakes, I was playing it too safe.
    But maybe the process of identifying the mistakes and figuring out how to correct them will allow you to make fewer mistakes (or better: more INTERESTING mistakes) in the future.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    For me (as an amateur) it's not about finding mistakes. By listening to a performance with the mindset of an audience member or a music director I can pay attention to a variety aspects of the performance (not just mistakes) and think about how I or the band could make the performance more interesting and satisfying next time.

For example, I might sense that my playing is too busy, the band isn't making good use of dynamics, or I might figure out why the rhythm never quite locked in on one tune. That's all stuff I can learn from and act on. I might also find some moments of inspiration or great luck, and can think about how to make more moments like that next time.

If you listen to recordings of your own playing with that mindset it can be valuable. But refrain from cringing and beating yourself up over every mistake. Recording rehearsals and gigs - does it help you?

Kirk

User Info Menu

I'd agree on the not listening to catch mistakes idea. I mean, didn't you know they were mistakes when you played them?

Recording is for fine tuning. It's to show gauge growth. And it's great for noticing good things, things to take note of, things to try again.

I agree on the gauging growth thing. I wouldn't be trying to identify specific mistakes, but I might make note of the number and frequency of mistakes.

More often, though, when I listen to myself, I'm listening for things like overall thematic development. I also catch the occasional good thing I didn't know I'd done. I've gotten a couple of good ideas to develop this way. But this is just the stuff I do at home. I'm really interested in trying it with the group.

User Info Menu

It's complicated. I'm not sure what the answer is.

I video and record my gigs a lot. I usually find that I'm in a very poor position to judge how good or bad my playing is. I think that's a bad mindset to get into...

On the other hand, if you are listening out for specific things - say for example a particular timing issue, it can be useful, but bear in mind that you will be listening out for something that you are already sensitised to. I'm not sure if I am the best judge of what to work on.

Re: mistakes, stick your recording unnamed or perhaps dated into an archive. Listen back to your recordings when you have forgotten what was going on in the gigs, and see if you can identify any mistakes.

destinytot Guest
    Nothing wrong with recording gigs - but that's not the best way IMHO.

(Besides, if I've accepted the gig I'm there to entertain; to give 100%, and then deal with the consequences. Thank you, JGF for being a space to work through my insecurities around this question.)

I'm in favour of recording private practice on video, observing (critically and constructively), and measuring what is observed against criteria of one's own choosing.

I find the technique of 'exploded viewing' - watching and reflecting on short segments - to be effective in stemming what might otherwise be an overwhelming flow of stimuli/data... like catching water from a waterfall using a thimble...

But while I find this technique works (because it leads to insight), what actually matters is doing whatever it takes to improve. (In my case, that has meant lifestyle changes to be in a learning environment that's right for me.)
    Last edited by destinytot; 05-12-2016 at 07:27 AM. Reason: but (typo) choosing (wording)

Wouldn't you know it, I forgot to bring it to rehearsal last night. D'oh!

User Info Menu

What I have definitely found is that there is a close correspondence between sub-par playing rhythmically and technically and tension. Therefore, in a sense what recordings have pointed out to me is the importance of being aware of tension in the body and your state of mind while performing. Also the importance of preparing the material you play to a high level.

User Info Menu

Yep, I think a good rhythmic feel is the first thing that goes south when I'm tense.

User Info Menu

I don't want to record every gig, but it's been really helpful to record occasionally. You do hear yourself differently when not playing. The stuff that I thought was complex and brilliant turns out to be too busy. The stuff that I thought was kinda lame sometimes turns out to be just right.

Listening to myself from the audience perspective has taught me to leave more space in my phrasing and let it breathe. Sometimes when playing I get a little too into what I'm doing and try to cram too much in.

User Info Menu

Reminds me of someone I knew at university who told me how he and his mates used to get high, then have the most amazingly hilarious and witty conversations, late into the night. But the next day, no-one could ever remember any of it. So one day they left a cassette recorder running during their next session.

When they played it back next day, it was total and utter childish crap. Not remotely witty, clever or amusing. It rather spoiled the fun after that.

So recording yourself is very valuable, if you can accept what you learn from it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Reminds me of someone I knew at university who told me how he and his mates used to get high, then have the most amazingly hilarious and witty conversations, late into the night. But the next day, no-one could ever remember any of it. So one day they left a cassette recorder running during their next session.

When they played it back next day, it was total and utter childish crap. Not remotely witty, clever or amusing. It rather spoiled the fun after that.

So recording yourself is very valuable, if you can accept what you learn from it!
    Reminds me of the joke about the screenwriter who always had great plot ideas in his dreams but could never remember them come morning, so he put a pad of paper and pen next to his bed and went to sleep. The next morning he awoke and looked at the paper: Boy Meets Girl.
    Last edited by mrcee; 05-12-2016 at 10:17 PM.

User Info Menu

A studio drummer friend of mine always recommends recording yourself even at gigs to hear the deep dark truth. I'm always dealing with timing issues, so it can be painful. But I want to get better, so that's the medicine. And it can be a harsh medicine. As someone's moniker here says, "TruthHertz". Lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop

Happens when you record yourself playing while "elevated." Sounded profound at the time, sounded like crap the next day...