The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 78

User Info Menu

Even though I've been playing for a long time, I have a hard time memorizing tunes. I may have the sound of a chord progression in my ear, but identifying the actual chords in real time is a big challenge for me. For years, I've brought my books (now my iPad) to sessions, and people have always told me, "You really need to get these tunes in your head. Your playing really improves when you're not reading." Even when I pretty much know a tune, I usually feel the need to have the chart in front of me, just as a security blanket.

Clearly, this needs to change. I've done a little work with David (@TruthHertz) and he suggests learning a tune in a functional way, instead of the specific chord names. It's helped me to do this, though I still struggle at times. Another thing I've been doing is making my own book. I've been handwriting charts from memory. I figure the act of writing it down will also help to cement stuff in my brain. (No fair just copying the chart out of the book. It has to be from memory.)

At this point I've got about seven tunes that I think I could play without a book.

Joy Spring*
    Four *
    Footprints*
    Sugar*
    Stella
    Satin Doll
    The Nearness of You

*I know I'm pretty good on these four, because I played them "off book" with my ensemble last night.

In addition, there's probably one or two more that I know, but haven't put into my book yet, plus generic blues and rhythm changes.

Do you guys have any other tips for memorizing tunes?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just keep on learning tunes. Especially functional ones,

Autumn Leaves
    afternoon in Paris
    ornathology
    green dolphin street
    just friends

etc, if you can memorize Stella, you're fine. Make sure you truly understand functional harmony.

good luck!!!

User Info Menu

2 things - I find that my ability to remember tunes improves over time - the more songs I learn the better it gets...

The other thing I have started to do recently is to write out a lead sheet in standard notation (melody, form & chord names) - particularly when I have transposed the key to suit the singer I work with....

This really helps me to get the melody, form & harmony under my fingers...........

OK, I also know Autumn Leaves and 90% of Green Dolphin (can't quite get the turn around memorized, but I can kinda fake it).

I've got no problem with function harmony. I can analyze the hell out of a chart.

User Info Menu

joe, you're doing a lot of the right stuff already. Making charts from memory is fantastic. Most people don't have the determination to do that sort of thing. that right there says to me that it is just a matter of time before you know a boat load of tunes.

also you recognize that the chart is like a security blanket sometimes. When you are in that situation and the chart is out but you don't need it, just look away. Then if you get caught out and forget a part of the bridge or whatever, the chart's there. you'll find that more and more you'll look away until the tune's over

also, you are playing these tunes with people. For me, that is what helps me memorize a tune better than anything.

so the only thing I would say is just be patient and keep doing what you are doing. the first few tunes take the most time and effort to memorize, but it gets easier every tune you learn

User Info Menu

To get better at this, lose the security blanket. It's the only way. This is one of those 'paradigm shift' type things that you have to force, even if it means you'll be wobbly for a while.

I've never known a security blanket player who's actually learned to get away from the written music. Years later, they still have the blanket.

User Info Menu

I might suggest, like I do everything, break it down into smaller chunks. Don't try and memorize the whole song at once. Take the first two bars. Play those over and over till you have it. Then add the next two bars. Then do the whole 8 bars. Then learn the second ending by itself. Then play the first 16 bars, A, A2. Over and over until you can do it even if a bomb falls in the next room.

Then memorize the bridge. Take it in sections before doing the whole bridge. But do the bridge by itself. Play it over and over.

Then memorize the final A.

Now play the whole song, over and over. The entire song. That means melody and chords separately and together.

NOW ---- never mind. Ok. Improvise on the song from memory alone. No charts. If it's impossible you either have to 1) spend far more time memorizing the above steps, 2) do it A LOT MORE or 3) more than likely you're missing some crucial musical or guitar steps in your knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    To get better at this, lose the security blanket. It's the only way. This is one of those 'paradigm shift' type things that you have to force, even if it means you'll be wobbly for a while.

I've never known a security blanket player who's actually learned to get away from the written music. Years later, they still have the blanket.
    This is what I'm worried about. I've already been chained to the book for way too long.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    I might suggest, like I do everything, break it down into smaller chunks. .
    Great advice. I think that's the royal road to musical happiness: break it down into manageable pieces and learn it piece by piece.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    This is what I'm worried about. I've already been chained to the book for way too long.
    I am not one to sugar-coat things so I'm not going to lie to you: The first 30 tunes are pretty hard and you'll probably have to go no faster than one or two a month, BUT after that it gets MUCH easier. Ultimately, you have to go one tune at a time to make progress.

You just have to put in the work. If I make one suggestion, it's to learn every tune in at least a few keys. That will really help.. Because ultimately in order to memorize a bunch of tunes you'll have to come up with your own system of thinking in "chunks" and the best way to get that "chunk" skill is to take things through a few keys.

Also helpful is listening to recordings of tunes you "know" and mentally tracking the chord changes.

User Info Menu

I find it easier to remember if I work out my own chord melody especially if I make up my own extended chords/chord inversions.

User Info Menu

I find they're all separate elements. If I memorize my chord melody version, for some reason it doesn't help me a lot of I'm playing in a quartet where I'm just playing the melody like a horn player. Sometimes I'd also go blank on the comping, if I've just done CM. I need to have done it in three ways, OR 4 if you include improv, which I always do.

I also need to play the tune everyday for it to stick. Also it gets easier. The first 10 done my way are time consuming. But glides afterwards. ALSO transposing to at least three other keys is a must.
    Last edited by henryrobinett; 03-17-2016 at 06:18 PM.

ALSO transposing to at least three other keys is a must.
    Do you mean transposing on paper, or on the guitar (without paper)?

User Info Menu

Well I assume you're playing the guitar, right? Why transpose on paper?

User Info Menu

Thanks will transpose on weekend.
    Not sure if has been mentiined, many here have told me and I have found it a truism, learn the heads by ear not from a book is faster.

Well I assume you're playing the guitar, right? Why transpose on paper?
    Um... Just making sure? I'm a visual learner, and it's much easier for me to do things when they're visible to me. E.g., I suck at doing math in my head, but I'm just fine on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    Not sure if has been mentiined, many here have told me and I have found it a truism, learn the heads by ear not from a book is faster.
    Yes, I'll be doing that as soon as I finish with the tunes that I already "know".

User Info Menu

Yes, sure. I sometimes learn it from a book, but I always know it from recordings nonetheless. If you're a good reader it's quicker to read it. But you should KNOW the song by hearing it. And never play it verbatim. Always swing it in your way. Your phrasing.

User Info Menu

Um... Just making sure? I'm a visual learner, and it's much easier for me to do things when they're visible to me. E.g., I suck at doing math in my head, but I'm just fine on paper.
    Yeah. That's the point. Improv relies on you learning how to process it in your mind. That's where the magic is. The sooner you learn how to do that the sooner you're on your way to mastery. I think we all think visually. But it's about learning how to create and use the mental image pictures. It's not like math in your head. That's even more abstract. That's why you have to KNOW THE FRETBOARD so well it's like you're actually looking at it mentally. This is the point I can't get people to get.

User Info Menu

If its a creative process, which jazz/improv is, then you have to not be overly encumbered by your tools. THAT's another reason you've go to get the fretboard in your mind. And to know the theory behind what's there. It's your mind that's playing it, not the guitar and really not so much your fingers. THAT'S WHY the song has to be memorized. If not you've got to KNOW a ton of tunes JUST LIKE the one you're playing. You're mind is playing it. That's why singing or humming is important. It's your mind separate from the guitar. The guitar is only a tool you've got to know well enough to TRANSCRIBE what's in your mind/heart/soul or however you like to think of it. FOR ME that's also the only reason transcription is so important. It helps me better contact and transcribe what's in my mind. But something has to be there first, no? For me, once again, I'm not at all interested in playing lie X, Y or Z. Just me.

User Info Menu

Might it help not to learn them from a book but a record?

I have trouble memorising stuff from the page. I can do it, but I'd rather learn it from the recording.

If it's an original I find it easier to learn from a recording of me playing the chart than the chart. Probably sounds a bit weird.

Everyone's different, but I think people get too hung up on the 'text' - I believe that a lot of the issues people have with subs etc would resolve themselves if they played from the melody of the song. The melody is the thing man...

User Info Menu

Also what Henry said. Transposition is a great way of working on it. I try to transpose all my rep...

Really the way to do it is by ear. Play enough melodies by ear and you'll have no trouble with repertoire.. .. At least that's the idea...
    Last edited by christianm77; 03-17-2016 at 06:44 PM.

User Info Menu

That's why I said make it your own. Swing it and phrase it your way. I've heard these tunes enough that even when I'm reading it I'm not doing it verbatim unless I'm playing it in an ensemble it its someone else's original tune.

Yeah. That's the point. Improv relies on you learning how to process it in your mind. That's where the magic is. The sooner you learn how to do that the sooner you're on your way to mastery. I think we all think visually. But it's about learning how to create and use the mental image pictures. It's not like math in your head. That's even more abstract. That's why you have to KNOW THE FRETBOARD so well it's like you're actually looking at it mentally. This is the point I can't get people to get.
    Understood. I think I'm about 90% there (which, considering I've been playing since 1980 is actually pretty pathetic). Well... one thing at a time. Let me work on this memorizing stuff, then I'll think about filling in the fretboard gaps.

you've got to know well enough to TRANSCRIBE what's in your mind/heart/soul or however you like to think of it.
    See, I think words like "transcribe" get me thinking about paper (because, y'know, "scribe" = "write" and all that.)

User Info Menu

See, I think words like "transcribe" get me thinking about paper (because, y'know, "scribe" = "write" and all that.)
    Exactly. Poor word choice jazz musicians have adopted. We need another word for learning by ear, as IF transcribing on paper. The same process, including analysis, except you don't write it down. I call it ear transcribing when I'm not being lazy.