The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 78 of 78

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    I agree with many of the comments, but I find that many here are very focused on analyzing the tune, dissecting it's structure, etc. While that is fine, I don't actually do that very much on a daily basis, essentially because I find it often superfluous unless that is expressly the purpose. How many of us cannot extemporaneously sing the melody of My Romance or play the song through in terms of the progression? If you can do that comfortably, is it really necessary to analyze it?
    If you're improvising on it, yes. Taking a solo? Yeah, you gotta know where the progression is heading and why, to a certain extent. Otherwise no. But analysis comes automatically after awhile. No analysis, just play.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Learned "Come Rain or Come Shine" yesterday. I think I've got it memorized, but I'm going to try writing it out later to see.

It's definitely getting easier the more I do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    Joy Spring*
    Four *
    Footprints*
    Sugar*
    Stella
    Satin Doll
    The Nearness of You
    Since the original post, I've added these:

Whisper Not
    Come Rain or Come Shine
    My Funny Valentine
    Georgia on my mind

"Whisper Not" is the most recent, and I was surprised by how easily it came. I didn't really set out to memorize it per se. I started working on it, and it kind of stuck. I'm hoping this is the beginning of a new phase.