Jazz Guitar
+ Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

Peter Bernstein 1,2,1,2,3,4 go

Love this

2. # ADS
    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Hah I had a good one the other day... Started playing I thought about you as a solo guitar intro hoping the others might join in organically - pianist asks me, so what tempo?

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    Hah I had a good one the other day... Started playing I thought about you as a solo guitar intro hoping the others might join in organically - pianist asks me, so what tempo?
    Should this have gone in the recent thread about vibing people on stage?

I always just tell 'em, "Alright fellas, it's a blues riff in B, watch me for the changes and uh...try to keep up."
    Jeff Matz, Jazz Guitar:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

"Jazz is like life...it goes on longer than you think, and as soon as you're like 'oh, I get it,' it ends."

--The Ghost of Duke Ellington

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77 View Post
    Haha, gotta love it. About a year ago I was at a session and called a tune, everyone said cool. I started setting it up, played an intro, started playing the head... nothing. Nobody joined in. They were all just standing around talking. I don't think they were even listening enough to hear that I was already playing. But I had a strong tempo setup, and was being very obvious about the melody... nothing tricky. I kept playing for a minute and was looking around and could see everyone was waiting for the count in.

Made for an awkward intro.
    NYC Jazz Guitar Masterclasses - Free Weekly Lessons

"Jordan Klemons is a great guitarist with unlimited potential. His prodigious technique is never an end in itself but instead the means to musical expression. He is a musician who looks to the past for inspiration and influence yet has a modern conception; he is someone to look out and listen for!"
    -Peter Bernstein

More from Peter on intros:

London Jazz Guitar Society:
    www.meetup.com/londonjazzguitarsociety
    LJGS on Twitter: www.twitter.com/LDNJazzGuitar

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    I always just tell 'em, "Alright fellas, it's a blues riff in B, watch me for the changes and uh...try to keep up."
    Go, Marty, go, go, go!

:: Jazz, Funk, Soul & Boogaloo: My group ::
    ::::::: Listen to Hip Jazz a Go Go! :::::::
    :: Jazz, Soul, Blues: Eva & The Tracies :::

Quote Originally Posted by jordanklemons View Post
    Haha, gotta love it. About a year ago I was at a session and called a tune, everyone said cool. I started setting it up, played an intro, started playing the head... nothing. Nobody joined in. They were all just standing around talking. I don't think they were even listening enough to hear that I was already playing. But I had a strong tempo setup, and was being very obvious about the melody... nothing tricky. I kept playing for a minute and was looking around and could see everyone was waiting for the count in.

Hmm, something was wrong there

Hatfield, PA. Have also lived in Riverdale, NY, Brooklyn, NY, The Hague, Netherlandd
    Quote Originally Posted by 55bar View Post
    Love this

I've always had a 'policy' in my group where "two notes equals a tempo". e.g. I play a note, and another guy plays one, and that's the tempo. We have other ways of establishing, but that's one of my preferred ways.

Quote Originally Posted by ghoststrat View Post
    I've always had a 'policy' in my group where "two notes equals a tempo". e.g. I play a note, and another guy plays one, and that's the tempo. We have other ways of establishing, but that's one of my preferred ways.
    Interesting, how does that work? you establish the note value first right?

Quote Originally Posted by jordanklemons View Post

This happened to me too one time
    Oh well , I just went "1234" kinda spoilt the
    Vibe tho ... Oh well

I find myself kinda directing things a bit on
    The bandstand if its all tentative and falling to
    Bits ... No one seems to mind , actually they seem relieved , maybe its a British reserve thing

Quote Originally Posted by 55bar View Post
    Interesting, how does that work? you establish the note value first right?
    No, it's just a base pulse, though it most often ends up being the quarter note. In an improvisational context, which mine largely is, it's not as critical to know how everyone is perceiving the pulse. If it's a known song, then the musicians would know how the pulse should be felt.

Does that make sense? If not, I think I can clarify it a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by ghoststrat View Post
    No, it's just a base pulse, though it most often ends up being the quarter note. In an improvisational context, which mine largely is, it's not as critical to know how everyone is perceiving the pulse. If it's a known song, then the musicians would know how the pulse should be felt.

Does that make sense? If not, I think I can clarify it a bit more.
    I think so... Thanks for your reply

as Peter Bernstein on the OP video is talking about "not talking" and uses Whisper Not as a sample, here are how he is not talking about... in a new video.

It just amazing. Grabs you from the very first bar to the very last. Do not miss a bar :-)

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed