The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

Just applied, sans youtube video. WTF, got nothin' to lose...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Is there an age limit for hiring? What are the positives and the negatives?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzism
    When a lot of my classmates were going for the cruise ship gigs, i opted for the 5 star hotel circuit in the the gulf. From what i heard its better to do those cruise ship contracts if your single. So for me,it was better staying on land, you often get the same amenities as regular guests. My partner was also a musician, so while we were in 5 star luxury, some of our colleagues were below the waterline listening to creaking bulkheads and often sharing your cramped space with someone who was always drunk and snoring HAHA! One infamous boat kept breaking down. You can imagine how comfortable you would be cruising the south pacific in summer with no aircon.
    cheers!
    Jazzism - Can you tell us more about this 'five star hotel circuit' gig thing? Age limits for work? Typical day? Positives and negative aspects?

Sounds like you found it considerably more comfortable than being at sea.

User Info Menu

I got an email back---no doubt 'form' with my name slotted in. All good, they are a corporation after all.

They said it was a lot of cutting shows and maybe playing with the 'jazz ensemble' (the mind boggles).

I politely replied that I'd be more than happy to play solo, join a jazz group, back a vocalist, that I know untold amounts of tunes---but not a great sight-reader or really interested in playing shows, so if any of the above appeal to you please contact me again.

Def
    not holding my breath...
    Last edited by fasstrack; 09-18-2016 at 01:17 PM.

User Info Menu

But is there an age limit? What are the negatives and the positives? Staying on dry land is slightly more appealing to me than 'creaking bulkheads' and cramped quarters with no 'fraternization'.

User Info Menu

Never got to that point, Jay...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GodinFan

I love the Med, especially Spain. Bridgetown, Barbados and Boracay Island in the Philipines have the nicest beaches I've ever been on. Talinn, Estonia looks like it was a model for every medieval fairly tale town.

Thanks ! Very interesting you mentioned Boracay... many years ago, I had met someone who'd been in WWII, in the Navy...... ( ' lifer ' ?? )........he had been everywhere.....and he meant everywhere...and he said the only place / only beach he'd ever really like to see again - -and promised himself he would - -was Boracay.

Funny what you never forget I guess.

Thank You again !!

User Info Menu

Joel -

What is the deal with the "hotel circuit" that someone mentioned as a preferable alternative to cruise ships ahoy?

I've never been on one, btw. But I could use the work. And I read very well. But, if ageism is a thing...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    Joel -

What is the deal with the "hotel circuit"...
    No clue, man. Sorry.

Last hotel I worked was the long-defunct Laurels in the also long-defunct Jewish Catskills---in 1975---so...

User Info Menu

I think the main disadvantage of working on a cruise ship would be that you are not building a network. It is steady work. You can build your chops. But once you get off that boat, you are pretty much right where you started.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonzo
    But once you get off that boat, you are pretty much right where you started.
    Exactly why I don't buy it. That, and that the $ is a f'ing insult.

Let some young kid do it and get seasick. I got better things to do...