The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

Slide is right . Single cone is loud , sort of like a banjo sound . Tri-cone has great sustain . And they are made in China .

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

.....I can't take one more resonator guitar youtube video. The sound of people playing painfully slow and depressing.... Very few people strum them to make it possible to evaluate anything I would actually do with that type of guitar. Looks like the Republic Delta Rocket, The Gold-Tone Paul Beard, and Gretsch Honey Dipper are the contenders. Now, to find them to play here in NorCal.
    Last edited by 10course; 09-17-2015 at 12:35 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 10course
    .....I can't take one more resonator guitar youtube video. The sound of people playing painfully slow and depressing.... Very few people strum them to make it possible to evaluate anything I would actually do with that type of guitar. Looks like the Republic Delta Rocket, The Gold-Tone Paul Beard, and Gretsch Honey Dipper are the contenders. Now, to find them to play here in NorCal.

NOT painful or depressing:

Here, well, the reso is a squareneck, but it's just too much fun not to share.

User Info Menu

BTW, Jonathan Stout is playing a tricone in the three videos.

@Eddie Lang: ok, I really liked those! Especially Johnathan playing "All of Me". I do that song often. The tri-cone sound appeals to me, but the consensus (Slide was the first, but many agree) is that the single cone biscuit is the loudest.

--I guess I had better qualify my previous remark about the resonator videos: if ever there was an instrument capable of capturing the human emotion of sadness and despair, there is no better instrument than the resonator guitar played in the Delta Blues style!
    Now, I just have to find some to test drive. If not, I will be making a blind internet purchase.---Which proved to be an expensive cost of tuition when buying/ learning about tenor and plectrum banjos.

User Info Menu

10 course, when I first heard you wanting to explore the resonator in styles other than blues and bluegrass, I thought of this video:

Got to the 35:00 mark to hear other styles

and this:

(not a steel guitar, but a taste of how to deal with that metalic sound)

I think, from my limited experience of the instrument, that you would have to rethink your touch completely (how you pluck the guitar) as it seemed to respond completely different than a wooden guitar. But it can be done. Hope that helps, I dunno what brand these guitars are. Good look on your search
    Last edited by Irez87; 09-17-2015 at 06:12 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 10course
    @Eddie Lang: ok, I really liked those! Especially Johnathan playing "All of Me". I do that song often. The tri-cone sound appeals to me, but the consensus (Slide was the first, but many agree) is that the single cone biscuit is the loudest.

--I guess I had better qualify my previous remark about the resonator videos: if ever there was an instrument capable of capturing the human emotion of sadness and despair, there is no better instrument than the resonator guitar played in the Delta Blues style!
    Now, I just have to find some to test drive. If not, I will be making a blind internet purchase.---Which proved to be an expensive cost of tuition when buying/ learning about tenor and plectrum banjos.

No affiliation with the guitar or the seller, I just saw this in the FS section of the AGF.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=400924

(edit to fix the link)
    Last edited by Eddie Lang; 09-17-2015 at 05:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Not sure how close to Palo Alto you are, but Gryphon Stringed Instruments usually has a good collection of resonators (mostly new National Resophonic with some vintage Nationals mixed in) in stock to try.

User Info Menu

+1 Gryphon.

If you are in California, I found this store yesterday.

National Guitars, Resonator guitars, Accessories, and more from Vintage Nationals!

I'm going to Santa Cruz tomorrow and will stop by Gryphon. Thanks!

User Info Menu

There is some very nice resonator guitar on this trad jazz album...
    Gentilly Stompers | Thanks a Million! | CD Baby Music Store
    On some cuts the guitar sounds like it could be either a resonator or a Selmer-style.

I saw Gentilly Stompers in NOLA last month. Such fun, great sound! The guitar on that date was Albanie Falletta on her L-50.

(Oscar Aleman sure did the gypsy thing very nicely on a resonator.)