The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 54 of 54

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pushkar000
    i just came back from my first jam session...audience did not like me at all
    The key is to learn something every time you perform or jam. Reflect on specific aspects of your performance that worked and didn't work, then think of something specific you could work on to play a little better next time. If you aren't sure, ask for some feedback from others who were there. Then dust yourself off and try again.

Consider bringing a pocket recorder next time for self evaluation, but be ready to cringe when you listen to it no matter how well you play. Don't listen it over and over or you'll go nuts! Most of us are our own harshest critics.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KIRKP
    The key is to learn something every time you perform or jam. Reflect on specific aspects of your performance that worked and didn't work, then think of something specific you could work on to play a little better next time. If you aren't sure, ask for some feedback from others who were there. Then dust yourself off and try again.

Consider bringing a pocket recorder next time for self evaluation, but be ready to cringe when you listen to it no matter how well you play. Don't listen it over and over or you'll go nuts! Most of us are our own harshest critics.
    That's good advice.
    I think for me though, I just generally need to up my level in everything. Most importantly broaden my repertoire and learn it all in many keys and tempos

I will take a recorder next time. That is a great idea.

User Info Menu

I love this kind of thread. I've told my story on several forums before.

Once I was booked to play classical and flamenco guitar for a birthday party. I showed up to this very nice house and the stereo was blasting country (uh-oh). So when it was time for me to play, the energy level dropped instantly. I played for a cocktail hour type thing. Then they showed a movie about the birthday boy, the owner of a successful business, on a thirty foot tall inflatable movie screen. It was such a well-done movie that I started to like the guy and wished he was my friend. I went on again and about fifteen minutes in, the birthday boy clapped me on the shoulder. "It's time to raise your game! I need some more energy from you!" I did my best! I played strummy rumbas, hitting the guitar, putting more rhythm and volume. He gave me ten more minutes. Came over, shook my hand. Asked how much he owed me, put the cash in my hand and added $200. "Thanks, but I'm going to put on some tunes now!" I went home 2 hours early and $200 richer than I had anticipated, but I must have been blushing in shame the whole agonizing time it took to break down and get out of there!

Another embarrassing experience was when I was booked by some folks to come to their house and play Spanish guitar for a party. I got there and started that, but I noticed because of hearing some Portuguese that there were some Brazilian people. I thought it would be very smooth, very smooth indeed, to play some Jobim, Girl From Ipanema, Insensatez. I also have some classical Brazilian music by Villa-lobos, Pernambuco, Dilermando Reis. After 15 minutes of this, my client said that since it was a Spanish party and they were serving Paella, they actually wanted to hear Spanish music. Apparently everyone there was Brazilian and they didn't really need me to be mangling their songs! Later I found out that some of them were pro Brazilian music players.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CactusWren
    they actually wanted to hear Spanish music. Apparently everyone there was Brazilian and they didn't really need me to be mangling their songs! Later I found out that some of them were pro Brazilian music players.
    Oh dear.

I was practising some jazz standards with a bit of amateurish improv in my back garden when I heard a voice say...
    'Can you play any tunes?'
    I looked up to next doors roof and there was a builder scrambling around fixing some tiles.
    I shouted back 'Jesus, everyone's a f##king critic!'

He was laughing so much he almost fell off his ladder.