The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

I know the answer is it depends, but I want to build up a solo jazz guitar repertoire and am trying to set goals for the number tunes I need to have under my belt. My rock gigs are usually three sets of 50 minutes. What do restaurants and bars usually require?

Thanks,

Rick

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Most bar and restaurant gigs I play are 2-3 hours. 10-15 minute breaks in between sets. Number of tunes would depend on how much you stretch on each tune.

User Info Menu

Same here, 2-3 hours, short breaks. If people are into it, I'll delay a break.

User Info Menu

Depends on what they are paying. I reckon your cart is before the horse. Many might disagree, but nothing, in my experience, happens in music without a clear deadline or goal, preferably one involving a paid gig.

3 x 45 is about standard but negotiate according to what you think is a reasonable hourly rate. In the UK, I would charge about 120USD for 3 45's. If they can only afford say 80USD, I'd play for 2 x 45's.

It might be worth coming in high and haggling down.

Don't play a second over or under what you have negotiated.

I know this is not how musicians think, but its how the client thinks. They think in terms of time and money, we think in terms of 'hey, I love to play music!'

Once the gig is secure, you have a clear focus for learning tunes and arrangements. Give yourself a month, which is reasonable notice for a gig. Use a loop pedal and an EHX freeze to pad it out if you have to.

For me it always has to be: gig first ($$$$ or more likely $) ---> practice repertoire for gig. Easier said than done for a jazz players ;-) The hard/irritating bit is getting the gig, the easy bit is working out how to play chord/melody jazz guitar.
    Last edited by christianm77; 03-18-2015 at 06:07 PM.

User Info Menu

If you need to audition for the gig, two tunes, one fastish, one slowish will do.

A big difficulty for solo jazz guitar is that it can all sound a bit wishy washy. Make a point of learning something swinging and major key for every ballad - restaurant guys often ask for something 'upbeat.'

User Info Menu

Purely considering time (ie not money)... I am strict generally about 45-50 min sets. I think after three sets of that length you might be making a bass player or trumpet player a little tired. Same goes for yourself if it's a solo gig. As for money ... Standards gigs at a restaurant are often cheap work and not necessarily for no reason. If it's a very cool place where the owners are laid back and I get food and they'll publicize the gig well and the crowds into it (and into it to the point where I can leave out business cards and people take them) then I'll do a long restaurant gig for cheap. I really gauge it by how interested I am and whether I can pick up a fan or more work. Stodgy fancy bar where people order $25 glasses of scotch and treat you like furniture I charge by the hour. Hip little hole in the wall where people come up between songs and chat and want to make requests. Different story.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    Purely considering time (ie not money)... I am strict generally about 45-50 min sets. I think after three sets of that length you might be making a bass player or trumpet player a little tired. Same goes for yourself if it's a solo gig. As for money ... Standards gigs at a restaurant are often cheap work and not necessarily for no reason. If it's a very cool place where the owners are laid back and I get food and they'll publicize the gig well and the crowds into it (and into it to the point where I can leave out business cards and people take them) then I'll do a long restaurant gig for cheap. I really gauge it by how interested I am and whether I can pick up a fan or more work. Stodgy fancy bar where people order $25 glasses of scotch and treat you like furniture I charge by the hour. Hip little hole in the wall where people come up between songs and chat and want to make requests. Different story.
    45mins are standard where I am too.

I commonly do 3x45's with full band (not my hustle). I am usually happy to do this, but the trumpeter (whose gig it is) is usually moaning by the end. Bass players learn not to moan in exchange for buckets of gigs. :-)

I think that's a good point here, sometimes it's worth working for less if the gig offers something else. But I think the fees I quoted are reasonable in the UK for a solo performer - it might be different elsewhere....
    Last edited by christianm77; 03-18-2015 at 07:58 PM.

User Info Menu

BTW I assumed the original post was regarding a solo gig.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickshapiro
    My rock gigs are usually three sets of 50 minutes
    That's a pretty average length gig for most circumstances.

Thanks for the feedback, I am working towards a solo gig. I am expecting it will take me a year to get up to speed given that I am starting from scratch. It has been a life long, as of yet, unrealized dream to be able to do a full gig on my own. Meaning roughly two-three hours of fully memorized/improvised chord solos.

I plan to solicit coffee houses, restaurants, bars, libraries, book stores that do not, have not and would not in the long run consider hiring compensated entertainment. I do not want to eat into the paying gigs of other musicians, specially while I am getting up to speed and "paying" my dues. I am not expecting to make a living out of this.

For a living, I deliver very complex multi-year and multi-million dollar projects. I am going to take the same formal approach to reaching my musical goals. It means some serious planing which is why I am attempting to understand the scope of what is needed including how many songs and how long I need to play for

User Info Menu

Personally as a someone who currently derives most of his income from performance, I'd much rather you didn't work for free because it does undercut the pros, and I'm sure you're a good enough player (or will be) for the client. If you are hustling a new gig, then it's really not a problem.

(If on the other hand you are a good enough player to play in recognised venues, I and I think most professionals would have no problem with your doing that - I know many players who have day jobs, and some are better than many pros.)

But there are arguments for and against.

Re: paying your dues. I do know some pretty awful players who get some very plum gigs. Payment for a gig is not related to actual ability, it's related to the amount of work you do to get it :-) That's why most pro guitarists spend at least as much time in front of the phone and the computer as they do actually practicing. But that's booking tours and so on for a year or two down the line, managing social media, and so on.

(Obv. a bit different for sidemen/women, who are booked on their musicianship. Guitarists - and by this I mean some of my country's top players - do have to hustle much of the time, especially for jazz gigs.)

On the other hand, the amount I actually get paid for a pub or restaurant gig has remained constant from my beginner days, and is unlikely to increase as I improve. That's the nature of the beast.

If you want a solo gig, I think you should insist on payment for your time. I'm sure you'll do the necessary work. After all there are few truly full time pro players in jazz - most of take on teaching work etc to the pay the bills.

People have to be educated to value music.
    Last edited by christianm77; 03-19-2015 at 12:55 PM.

User Info Menu

I can't resist posting this. Pretty strongly worded, I warn you now.

My own position is a bit softer, and I do take unpaid or poorly paid gigs if (and only if) it's a project I feel passionate about, but I do wonder if we all had more integrity regarding payment, whether we'd have all these issues with getting paid for gigs....

In any case, you should be able to get money for playing pretty old songs.
    Last edited by christianm77; 03-19-2015 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Personally as a someone who currently derives most of his income from performance, I'd much rather you didn't work for free because it does undercut the pros, and I'm sure you're a good enough player (or will be) for the client. If you are hustling a new gig, then it's really not a problem.

(If on the other hand you are a good enough player to play in recognised venues, I and I think most professionals would have no problem with your doing that - I know many players who have day jobs, and some are better than many pros.)

But there are arguments for and against.

Re: paying your dues. I do know some pretty awful players who get some very plum gigs. Payment for a gig is not related to actual ability, it's related to the amount of work you do to get it :-) That's why most pro guitarists spend at least as much time in front of the phone and the computer as they do actually practicing. But that's booking tours and so on for a year or two down the line, managing social media, and so on.

(Obv. a bit different for sidemen/women, who are booked on their musicianship. Guitarists - and by this I mean some of my country's top players - do have to hustle much of the time, especially for jazz gigs.)

On the other hand, the amount I actually get paid for a pub or restaurant gig has remained constant from my beginner days, and is unlikely to increase as I improve. That's the nature of the beast.

If you want a solo gig, I think you should insist on payment for your time. I'm sure you'll do the necessary work. After all there are few truly full time pro players in jazz - most of take on teaching work etc to the pay the bills.

People have to be educated to value music.

I am trying to be considerate of those that make a living doing this by seeking places that do not, have not and will not have paid entertainment. I was hoping that would be enough not to impact others that truly make a living. I.E a book store, cafe, etc.. If taking token payment such as a "free meal" or "drinks" helps then perhaps I will do that.
    Last edited by rickshapiro; 03-19-2015 at 01:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickshapiro
    I am trying to be considerate of those that make a living doing this by seeking places that do not, have not and will not have paid entertainment. I was hoping that would be enough not to impact others that truly make a living. I.E a book store, cafe, etc.. If taking token payment such as a "free meal" or "drinks" helps then perhaps I will do that.
    It's just my tuppence worth, and I can see that you are trying to be considerate about this. Other people may have different takes on it - what do others think?

User Info Menu

I think you should still negotiate something, hopefully, you're providing a service that brings people in and gets them to spend money. That means you're an employee on a job for the time you're playing, and employees get paid.

I played a small struggling coffee house for years that understood that, and they always paid me a bit (in addition to having a tip jar), and fed me/gave me free coffee. Good people. Sadly, they didn't make it, too many Starbucks' in the neighborhood. People would rather drink bad coffee in a paper cup and run out that drink good coffee out of an actual mug, I guess.

If the place has a liquor license--they're making money. DO NOT EVER play for free at a bar/club. Once you set that precedent, you will never get paid, nor will anybody else after you.

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    It's just my tuppence worth, and I can see that you are trying to be considerate about this. Other people may have different takes on it - what do others think?
    I guess I could play devils advocate on my own position and say that any musician playing anywhere (with the exception for charity) without compensation has a negative impact on those that rely on compensation. Or perhaps it is only detrimental in the situation when a musicians performance financially benefits a commercial interest without any compensation going towards the musician.

In my mindset right now, my compensation will be my joy of playing for others and accomplishing a long term desire. I do want to find a way of doing this without impacting working musicians. I do want to be careful as I have great respect for those that make music a career.

I do play a few times a month in a rock band at clubs that pay fairly well, although that money still barely pays for my gas, food and drinks. The sound and light guy makes more then me. I can only do this because I make money through the misery of my day time job.

Anyway I would be interested in what others think.

User Info Menu

rickshapiro,

If you want to play for nothing, I'm certain that there are a number of assisted living facilities, nursing homes and veteran's homes in your area that are are full of older people who would love to hear the music of their collective youth. There are also probably charities in your vicinity that hold yearly fund raisers as well as service organizations that have monthly dinner or breakfast meetings where you could volunteer your services. When I was making my bones I played a boatload of these things.

If you approach restaurants, bars or coffee houses and offer to play "because you love it', even if they have never had live music before, you will poison the well for anyone who comes in behind you and you'll be creating a situation that will definitely affect the working musicians in your immediate area. If you want to be truly polite and considerate to the local musicians, do not work for nothing. Restaurant and club owners talk among themselves just as musicians and tradesmen do. It only takes a few people working for nothing in a small to mid-sized city to mess things up for everyone.

Regards,
    Jerome
    Last edited by monk; 03-19-2015 at 07:52 PM. Reason: punctuation

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I think you should still negotiate something, hopefully, you're providing a service that brings people in and gets them to spend money. That means you're an employee on a job for the time you're playing, and employees get paid.
    This is an incorrect set of assumptions IMHO and they are repeated often by musicians. My critiques will sound harsh... well, because they are to be honest.

1. Few people go out to hear jazz any more. Sorry to say it, but supply far exceeds demand for jazz musicians. Out presence at a bar, restaurant, coffee shop, etc., does not necessarily bring in anyone. In fact, having jazz in a bar, restaurant, etc., is probably as likely to drive customers out as to bring them in. I've seen customers get up and leave once a band starts paying many times (I've done it myself when I thought the band sucked).

2. We're not employees. We're vendors. We're there to add value and the value the venue is looking for is measured in dollars and cents (unless they're just having us there because they like us or our music).

3. If the venue is going to pay us, we have to bring in enough people in order to offset the fee the venue pays. If they pay us $100, then we need to bring in enough customers *that they would not have already had* to generate at least $100 extra *in profits.* So a coffee shop needs to sell 100 extra cups of coffee during our gig. If we can't guarantee that, then perhaps we shouldn't be asking for a $100 fee.

4. The jazz musicians I know who do successfully make a living at this do now they will bring in 50 or more customers who are coming specifically to see them. They can request and get a reasonable fee from the venue as a result.

The very simple truth is that very few jazz musicians can make a living from performance that rises above the poverty level. If you talk to folk, jazz, bluegrass, rock, country, etc., musicians they will tell you the same thing. This is no different than it was in years past except for getting squeezed by inflation. A local well-known blues guy told me that he usually got $300 for a quartet gig in 1970 and he usually got $300 for a quartet gig in 2012. Used to be he could make a living on 1-2 gigs a week but now he'd need 12 gigs a week to make the same living.

User Info Menu

I would add that commercial obligations are not always for profit but they also bring an agreement into a material form.
    When it is payed both parties are more concentrated on their obligations.

I had a case - not connected with gigs - there was a luthier, quite good one, but he always delayed the work.. I did not like this approach when he invented differrent childish reasons to delay it again... never called me himself etc.

So once I gave about 30% in advance - oh how he tried to reject it! - but I insisted... and what do you think? When he accepted he said: wait... let us put all the terms down not to forget it.. and after that he improved musch with terms.

You do not have to be a business shark.. but people (especially in business) respect when you can name reasonable and explainable price for your time and work. For them it is another argument that you are reliable in your business.

User Info Menu

Cunamara, your critique is familiar, but I think it is defeatist, and is only part of the truth as I have experienced it. To give some perspective I play on average around 200 gigs a year, and I know many players who do more. All my gigs, pretty much, are jazz gigs of one type of another. As I said, the most of my income is from performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    This is an incorrect set of assumptions IMHO and they are repeated often by musicians. My critiques will sound harsh... well, because they are to be honest.

1. Few people go out to hear jazz any more. Sorry to say it, but supply far exceeds demand for jazz musicians. Out presence at a bar, restaurant, coffee shop, etc., does not necessarily bring in anyone. In fact, having jazz in a bar, restaurant, etc., is probably as likely to drive customers out as to bring them in. I've seen customers get up and leave once a band starts paying many times (I've done it myself when I thought the band sucked).
    I don't perceive this problem. Perhaps it's a function of where I live (a capital city - on the other hand, outgoings are higher.) It's also a function of the type of jazz you play and how you play it. That's not quality per se, but whether or not you are performing timidly, not making eye contact, which is how you might play if you feel already that people 'don't like jazz', as opposed to making eye contact with people, smiling, talking to the audience etc. Most people are far more aware of these things than the musical aspects.)

I might feel differently about this if I lived somewhere with less opportunity, however. Most of my gigs are pretty well attended, albeit less so for the more 'arty' things, I do. But my impression is that people really like jazz. Some gigs are more background gigs than others, but you'd be wrong to assume people don't dig it, and don't appreciate it.

2. We're not employees. We're vendors. We're there to add value and the value the venue is looking for is measured in dollars and cents (unless they're just having us there because they like us or our music).
    Sure, but you can add value to a restaurant, say, by playing atmospheric and romantic music that will make an evening memorable for those having dinner, and draw people in and make repeat bookings. If a flat fee is a bridge too far, why not arrange a 'music charge' and advertise the evening or afternoon as a 'jazz lunch' or 'jazz dinner.' Coordinate your marketing with the venue. This is usually pretty simple for venues that are accustomed to booking music, but needn't be a nightmare in any case.

Musicians should walk away from situations where they are expected to bring their chums, unless they don't perform that often and want a forum to perform for their friends and relatives.

3. If the venue is going to pay us, we have to bring in enough people in order to offset the fee the venue pays. If they pay us $100, then we need to bring in enough customers *that they would not have already had* to generate at least $100 extra *in profits.* So a coffee shop needs to sell 100 extra cups of coffee during our gig. If we can't guarantee that, then perhaps we shouldn't be asking for a $100 fee.
    Personally, I need to guarantee nothing. It's not up to me to do the venues accounts for them. Either they feel they can afford it or they don't. There's no expectation from me on the other hand, of getting a gig. I have to work to get gigs.

Bear in mind I am talking about 'dinner jazz' here - background music. $100 for a solo performer would be reasnable.

4. The jazz musicians I know who do successfully make a living at this do now they will bring in 50 or more customers who are coming specifically to see them. They can request and get a reasonable fee from the venue as a result.
    Maybe for jazz clubs. Venues vary considerably.

The very simple truth is that very few jazz musicians can make a living from performance that rises above the poverty level. If you talk to folk, jazz, bluegrass, rock, country, etc., musicians they will tell you the same thing. This is no different than it was in years past except for getting squeezed by inflation. A local well-known blues guy told me that he usually got $300 for a quartet gig in 1970 and he usually got $300 for a quartet gig in 2012. Used to be he could make a living on 1-2 gigs a week but now he'd need 12 gigs a week to make the same living.
    It is true that jazzers have trouble making money out of music. None of us would be able to make ends meet without teaching, but I do think a large part of why one musician

Rock musicians are generally get paid less per gig than jazz musicians, even some of the young signed acts. I imagine most of them get screwed on Spotify now.

Basically, when it comes down to it, not everything works for every venue, and some venues are determined to have jazz against their own interest, while others will do anything to avoid it, haha.

I do live in an environment where there are enough places that I can approach and negotiate to get payment, and sometimes this is a difficult and involve process - but it is possible! And these gigs, provided everyone is clear on how they function, can be a mutually beneficial arrangement for both the musician and the client.
    Last edited by christianm77; 03-20-2015 at 03:59 PM.

User Info Menu

I have to agree w Christian here

as for Cunamara's 4 bullet points ...

1. You're not entirely correct. People will go out to see something cool. Your job is to make it cool. That's not a reason to forgo asking for payment. Put in the effort to make your thing entertaining. Yes customers do get up and leave if the music is bad sooooo don't be bad. I played a gig last night where I set up so close to a couple that I could've turned and knocked the girl out w my headstock. They asked for the check as we started setting up but proceeded to stay for three tunes. Girl got a second drink and took my business card for her brother.

2. Yes we're vendors. So is the beverage distributor. They don't give kegs of craft beer away as practice.

3. You're correct. If you ask for $30 then okay ... You've still left the venue w the impression that music has value even if you don't think yours has immense value for their particular situation.

4. Also true ... Build to that. But if you play for free all the time then by the time you're bringing fifty customers out then you've played for five years and hundreds of gigs for no money. How are your regular gigs going to feel when you suddenly ask for $100?
    Last edited by pamosmusic; 03-20-2015 at 04:31 PM.

destinytot Guest
    Sure, but you can add value to a restaurant, say, by playing atmospheric and romantic music that will make an evening memorable for those having dinner, and draw people in and make repeat bookings.
    Hear, hear!