The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

It ain't easy finding people to play with when you're not a university student. So I finally decided to get out of my living room and join a big band. I figure this will:
    A) Force me to get my rhythm playing solid,
    B) Improve my reading, with all of the associated perks, and most importantly
    C) Increase the chances of finding other (non-guitarist) musicians to play with in other settings.
    Oh, and D) I'll playing in a swing band, which is pretty cool.

I had my first (3 hour!) rehearsal this morning. I definitely found myself outside of my comfort zone, but it went reasonably well and the bandleader hasn't fired me yet. I lost my place more than a few times, but managed to keep counting and find my way back.

Anyway, any hot tips, sharings of experiences, funny stories, etc. are welcome!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

You're a brave soul....that's all I got...

I am sure other's will chime in with some cool experiences to share though. Best of luck!

User Info Menu

Consider yourself lucky, the opportunity isn't available to everyone deciding to give it a try. It's a great feeling getting to the level where you can carry your own weight in the rhythm section. Nothing will make you feel like a real musician more than being in a big group of people reading and playing some great charts, and your chord vocabulary will become the envy of other guitarists.

User Info Menu

now you will be able to say I paid my jazz dues.. I did big band every semester in college the bandleader's opinion was it should be a prerequisite for jazz combo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Consider yourself lucky, the opportunity isn't available to everyone deciding to give it a try. It's a great feeling getting to the level where you can carry your own weight in the rhythm section. Nothing will make you feel like a real musician more than being in a big group of people reading and playing some great charts, and your chord vocabulary will become the envy of other guitarists.
    I do indeed consider myself lucky; I just happened to get in touch with the right bandleader at the right time. It will be a good while before I'm the envy of anyone, but you're right about it being a cool feeling being in the group. There are definitely some high level players to keep me on my toes!

User Info Menu

I joined my first big band a few years ago for the same reasons. Opportunities to improvise are limited (other than choosing chord voicings and comping style), but it's a fun way to spend a couple hours each week. Sometimes I think of it as hopping on a treadmill once a week to stay in shape, but it's a little more creative than that.
    Guitar charts often overprescribe the harmony, showing full chord that the horn section is playing. When I finally realized that I tried to simplify my chord choices, often just comping with just the 3rd and 7th or 6th. After thinning things down to the minimum, then I started to selectively add things back in. For example, when the band crescendos, I might add an extension on top, turning my pinky into one of the horns.
    I've made some good friends there, met some good musicians, formed a couple of bands or jam groups with some of the better players, and learned of other opportunities from band mates.
    I've also learned how important it is to have a good band leader and band mates who go out of their way to treat each other with respect. Without that it's no fun at all.

User Info Menu

I also feel very lucky to play guitar in a big band.
    There are not a lot of big bands where I live in Canada, so it's a real privilege.
    It's challenging, but always lots of fun.
    I have a digital recorder to record rehearsals, then to play along with for practice at home.
    It's really great to play dances.

User Info Menu

The big band I'm currently in rehearses weekly in a community center with a dance floor. At every rehearsal there are at least a few dancers who are willing to live with the occasional interruptions that are needed in rehearsal. Once a month the rehearsal becomes a casual gig with set list, dress code, and dancers paying a few bucks. Several times a year the band lines up more formal evening gigs. Playing nothing but dance tunes limits the repertoire, but it's still fun..

User Info Menu

Kirk -- yep, that's exactly the same setup as this band. Weekly rehearsals and a monthly gig for dancers. It should be a fun time... I haven't played an actual gig in a couple of years, and have never played a jazz gig, so this will be a new experience.

And it sounds like you're getting out of it exactly what I hope to, so that's promising!

User Info Menu

Well, after almost a year they finally came to their senses and fired me.

Just kidding (sort of). A new bandleader took over and decided to make some changes, shaking up the various sections. Unfortunately in all of the shaking, I was shook out in favour of a guy he's been playing with for about 20 years and who doubles on banjo.

Ah well, it was good experience. Met some good musicians, played a bunch of gigs, and flirted with the limits of my 40-watt Cube.

Good times.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Well, after almost a year they finally came to their senses and fired me.

Just kidding (sort of). A new bandleader took over and decided to make some changes, shaking up the various sections. Unfortunately in all of the shaking, I was shook out in favour of a guy he's been playing with for about 20 years and who doubles on banjo.

Ah well, it was good experience. Met some good musicians, played a bunch of gigs, and flirted with the limits of my 40-watt Cube.

Good times.
    Sorry to hear that. I played with the local college jazz ensemble since none of the young guys could play jazz tunes on guitar. Then I played with a local jazz band that really started popping. I had to drop out because with 3 small kids at home I couldn't keep up with the rehearsal schedule, and with summer travels abroad I couldn't be consistent at gigs. But my lasting contribution was to think up a name for the band: The Metrognomes. They are now one of the really good swing/jazz bands in the region, and it's all so-called amateur players doing it out of love.

The MetroGnomes

I learned a lot in my stint with the Pre-Metrognomes, and I regret there isn't a "lower intensity" sort of ensemble in the area to play with.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Anyway, any hot tips, sharings of experiences, funny stories, etc. are welcome!
    when i was in the percussion section, the four of us used to take turns hiding behind the gong and doing one-hitters.

my old barber played trumpet with tito puente and xavier cugat. almost none of his stories are safe to share in a public forum. seriously, dude could've run an entire sub-forum on reddit.

but seriously, big band experience is really, really good. yr gonna learn to count.

User Info Menu

first , good for you! It takes courage to get yourself out there

the best advice I have is to drop whatever you are doing and shed the tunes between rehearsals as best as you can

nothing impresses a bandleader quite like being prepared at rehearsal

User Info Menu

Congratulations! Look forward to hearing how it goes.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Unless I'm misunderstanding the OP's latest post, I think it has gone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Moominpapa
    Unless I'm misunderstanding the OP's latest post, I think it has gone.
    You're right. My mistake. I apologize for that.