• Agreed

40 36.36%
  • Disagreed

70 63.64%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Posts 251 to 264 of 264

User Info Menu

You're absolutely right that music was more advanced back in the day because that's what the 'market' paid for. The kings' court and such. It's fascinating to me that we still have talented pop musicians making somewhat emotionally impactful music. But it's filtered. I miss the old way where the artists played exactly what they meant and the market supported it, and society enjoyed it. Oh well, it's never going back. Fortunately, the grass roots styles of music still continue on, only not as popular forms in society.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55
    You're absolutely right that music was more advanced back in the day because that's what the 'market' paid for. The kings' court and such. It's fascinating to me that we still have talented pop musicians making somewhat emotionally impactful music. But it's filtered. I miss the old way where the artists played exactly what they meant and the market supported it, and society enjoyed it. Oh well, it's never going back. Fortunately, the grass roots styles of music still continue on, only not as popular forms in society.
    I think it is also important that 20th century was a century of pop culture and originally it was produced by America (and I understand why) and it gave a unique possibility for rare talents to express themselves in pop culture.
    It was great and we got used that there were The Beatles and Chaplin, Elvis and Disney... that really mass culture can produce masterpieces.
    But the problem of pop culture is that it cannot last long or form a school and tradition.
    And that is what we have now... it is exhausted and it becomes what it really is ... a mass entertainment.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    I think it is also important that 20th century was a century of pop culture and originally it was produced by America (and I understand why) and it gave a unique possibility for rare talents to express themselves in pop culture.
    It was great and we got used that there were The Beatles and Chaplin, Elvis and Disney... that really mass culture can produce masterpieces.
    But the problem of pop culture is that it cannot last long or form a school and tradition.
    And that is what we have now... it is exhausted and it becomes what it really is ... a mass entertainment.
    It's about generations. Born in the late 50's a lot of us were flashy. Music videos, dancing. Acting weird. We're 'younger' boomers. GenX turned literally everything upside down. Music became something based on street logic. Millennials turned rap into a source of comedy They're technical. They break things down to a science in music.
    Now it's Gen Z's turn and women are leading the way. Cardi B, Billy Eilish, Olivia Rodrigo.
    It's just pop music but there can be moments of brilliance.

This thing with 'entertainment' has been going on for 35 years in pop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Will St Peter
    No way. Too many guys work their tail off to be overbooked by someone with a backing track. I get why one would consider this but it hurts the musicians and any music scene one is in.
    If it is that easy to replace a musician by a backing track . . . .
    Well, the musician was in trouble to begin with.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    If it is that easy to replace a musician by a backing track . . . .
    Well, the musician was in trouble to begin with.
    We do not talk about top of the market... of course Scofield or Benson would not exclude a musician from the band bacause of that.

Or middle segment where they would consider efficiency but would not sacrifice music.

But as we speak about bottom of the market - the biggest area - where musicians struggle for every buck.... they would easily substitute even good bassist or drummer if they can emulate them with backing tracks, or pedals and drum machine and they can live with decrease of musical quality

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    But as we speak about bottom of the market - the biggest area - where musicians struggle for every buck.... they would easily substitute even good bassist or drummer if they can emulate them with backing tracks, or pedals and drum machine and they can live with decrease of musical quality

Market? Which market? I guess some would like to call themselves musicians where in fact they are just hobbyists who charge money every now and then.
    Besides that: every bandleader knows that bringing more musicians means more paychecks to pay. Hence . . . smaller bands. Having a hornsection means your doing good. Replace a hornsection by one sax/trumpet and a keyboard, and it means you're doing not so good. Leaving out the one horn, it means . . . . . Well fill in teh blanks.

You are making it sound like there is a crisis going on. We have the corononacrisis, a housingcrisis, a political crisis and above all there is a crisis in musicianmarket: they are replacing bassplayers with backingtracks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    Market? Which market? I guess some would like to call themselves musicians where in fact they are just hobbyists who charge money every now and then.
    Besides that: every bandleader knows that bringing more musicians means more paychecks to pay. Hence . . . smaller bands. Having a hornsection means your doing good. Replace a hornsection by one sax/trumpet and a keyboard, and it means you're doing not so good. Leaving out the one horn, it means . . . . . Well fill in teh blanks.

You are making it sound like there is a crisis going on. We have the corononacrisis, a housingcrisis, a political crisis and above all there is a crisis in musicianmarket: they are replacing bassplayers with backingtracks!
    I would always opt for live musicians on gigs where the budget allows. Always. Greed is unacceptable. However, there are lots of gigs, i.e. senior facilities, small cafes and restaurants where neither the budget nor the space allows for more than a solo act. in those conditions, my home-studio made tracks keep me employed on the local level. When I use tracks, the only criticisms I ever get are from other musicians, and they never pay to get in, so I never worry about what they think. they're always eager to accept a gig from me, though.

User Info Menu

Anything goes on gigs and in the studio. Downsizing isn't going away. You might be the best band around but fewer people and more tech might make more money for the venue.
    Backing tracks- yes.
    I'd be bored out of my mind doing it but there's no sense in being a hater.

User Info Menu

Just use a looper.

User Info Menu

If someone uses the backing tracks reasonably and tastefully... I'm all for it.
    Of course, it all depends on what you're playing and in what style.
    I used to do a solo in a music studio with live musicians... it was also like a backig track.

User Info Menu

8 years later, id like to chime in and say I've come around on this and have softened my stance and hatred against people who gig "jazz" with backing tracks.

Just kidding!

User Info Menu

Just did this last night...about 50/50 chord melody/looper. bought one of those new Boss RC-5 loopers. its great..i record myself in garage band and then bounce the track to the Boss looper and store the track. it has and internal memory of 99 slots. So i guess its a backing track sorta, but its me playing, using my Godin or Moffa and no other instruments. im just not using the looper on the fly...yet

Quote Originally Posted by strumcat
    Just use a looper.

User Info Menu

For those interested in how tracks can sound live, here is a live recording (two-minute listen) from a retirement home gig earlier this week.

There are four song snippets, chosen to showcase listener response rather than my decidedly modest guitar and vocal skills (I’m no jazzer, but I do play a number of standards). I put my H2N on the floor about 6 feet in front of my speaker and let it run for an hour.

User Info Menu

I don't like using backing tracks but I have used them in situations where the budget did not permit for me hire sidemen.