The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 82

User Info Menu

Anyone done them? I get the impression they'll hire anyone who can sight-read fairly well. I don't. I would get bored looking at a chart all the time anyway. They have something called 'intermissionists'. Solo acts. I'm pretty flexible but some things I don't do. I don't take requests. They say 'massive-sing along repertoire' on one site. I don't do that. They want 'virtuosos' doing instrumental music. Can't help there.
    Maybe I'm applying for the wrong job. It might be more fun to get a job as a dishwasher and jam with people during off time.
    I can't get a handle on the cruise ship thing.
    Maybe they're looking for entertainers. That's why we used to build the band around vocalists in the old days. To put on a show. The younger generation wouldn't know about that. If anyone has done these gigs I'd appreciate any input you have.
    Last edited by Stevebol; 12-01-2014 at 10:38 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

One of the guys out here his son has been doing cruise ship gig for last year and he's coming back, because he's got good work offers. I've know a lot of guys who've done them and they can be heaven or hell depending on if you use it to woodshed without distractions or to just hangout and drink. Many say good was to get reading chops and ear together. You play lots of styles because you're it and there is lots different types of things you have to play for. Besides the shows usually getting called to do birthdays and other things.

Unless you're a guitar deity living in a big city with lots work, get used to playing a lot of music that isn't your favorite. Can we say Casuals (I assume that still what they are called). Even when things were good a lot of the Jazz guys paid their bills doing casuals. They would learn to make it interesting like Giant Steps as a Bossa Nova, and taking other cool songs and changing the beat so the audience would dance and not gripe. Music is a business is you want to get paid.

So you can make cruise ship a good learning experience and some of the ships are catering to young audience so the music isn't all Standards like others. I think it would be nice to get paid to learn standards.

I think my only path might be doing solo but I haven't even done it professionally yet. I'm guessing there's a lot of flexibility with these gigs. They hire a lot of people based on site-reading skills but they hire others too. Bands, solo acts, etc...
    Fuck it I'll get a job in the galley. Wash dishes, clean rooms or something. I'm not kidding. If they don't hire me I'll sue them for age discrimination.
    I'm bored out of my mind and need something to do. It won't be the first time I've worked on a boat.
    Last edited by Stevebol; 12-02-2014 at 12:16 AM.

User Info Menu

I know guys who've done cruise ship gigs. Sharing a cabin below the waterline, smaller than a jail cell, with a roommate doesn't sound like fun. This site has an assortment of legit info... http://www.musicianwages.com/c/activ...-ship-musician
    Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 12-02-2014 at 07:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Have a friend who has done the cruise ship thing a few times. Says they were treated like slaves. During their free time, they were not allowed in the public areas. They're supposed to just pop up on stage out of nowhere with huge smiles on their faces, then retreat back into their holes. YMMV.

User Info Menu

I did a cruise ship gig several months ago. My first. It was a different situation. Solo guitar and I played with a motley trio. It was a blast but not your typical. We were considered part of the crew in a sense. Service. But no one treated us disrespectfully. We could mingle where ever and with whomever we wanted. Even the playing tones were a little loose. I had a four person cabin. Fortunately we weren't there all at the sane time except to sleep. And amazingly that was ok.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    I know guys who've done cruise ship gigs. Sharing a cabin below the waterline, smaller than a jail cell, with a roommate doesn't sound like fun. This site has an assortment of legit info... Cruise Ship Gigs - MusicianWages.com
    Sounds like your describing my apartment minus the roommate. Just add guitars and music all over with just a path to the bed and bathroom. Coffee and guitars and I'm a happy man.

I think I'll pass on this kind of gig. Times have changed. I'm used to working in combos. My path to a gig like this would not be demonstrating reading skills that don't exist or doing a solo act.
    It's a good thing we don't jam or put combos together anymore. What were we thinking.....
    I would have issues with the living space too. How many musicians are onboard this floating city?
    You get what you pay for.
    I think this could be a good kind of gig but it's not right for me now. I'm doing my solo thing but I'd rather be doing a duo with bass or keys.
    Last edited by Stevebol; 12-02-2014 at 04:43 PM.

I suppose musicians are no more entitled to good accommodations than anyone else. We're no more important than the dishwashers and cleaning people. It takes some getting used to when you're cramped into a little space with people you don't even know.

How much playing do you have to do a day? Is it everyday? I'm not going to do 48 hours a week like I used to. I know how to play, how to dress and how to act. I want to know details about the actual job.
    Last edited by Stevebol; 12-02-2014 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    I know guys who've done cruise ship gigs. Sharing a cabin below the waterline, smaller than a jail cell, with a roommate doesn't sound like fun. This site has an assortment of legit info... Cruise Ship Gigs - MusicianWages.com
    This is the best no-BS advice I've seen and I've always know these things;

A Guide to Being a Successful Sideman

I've always been a sideman and knew what my job was. Being a sideman isn't about doing one thing it's about being prepared to do anything. You're a performer, but not an entertainer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    How much playing do you have to do a day? Is it everyday?
    I've only done that one cruise gig. Nothing I'm interested in. Although they'd like me back for special events. I might consider it. This thing is fun. I played three or four groups of sets sometimes more, a day. Eleven two 45 minute sets. 3pm two sets. Dinner two sets and an evening two sets. Ioved it because I was playing jazz. A lot of jazz.

I suck at reading music so that's out for me. You can form combos and audition. Seems like it would be a fun gig to me but I might not be suited for it. It would have to be a little pop duo or trio.
    I memorize music and improvise over it in most cases. That's all I can do.
    Maybe I should go on a little cruise just for the hell of it. See what's up and talk to musicians.

User Info Menu

This is good
    Last edited by Toddep; 12-03-2014 at 02:04 AM.

User Info Menu

I suck at reading music so that's out for me. You can form combos and audition. Seems like it would be a fun gig to me but I might not be suited for it. It would have to be a little pop duo or trio.
    I memorize music and improvise over it in most cases. That's all I can do.
    Maybe I should go on a little cruise just for the hell of it. See what's up and talk to musicians.
    My gig wasn't a reading gig. At the most sometimes there was a chord chart. The trio was a electric pianist who kicked bass and a percussionist along with me on guitar. We mostly played tunes we knew. I brought my iPad which had music for the few I didn't know or the keyboardist didn't.

User Info Menu

The main band I didn't play with. I wanted to, but they had different shows every night. Those were reading gigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddep

This is good
    No more blues for me. I grew up in Buffalo NY so I've done plenty. I'd much rather do folk versions of pop tunes now. I do use that SRV chop though. It's very useful. I use it on John Lennon's 'Starting Over' but I stick to George and a couple Paul tunes mostly. They suit my vocal range more. Something, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Fool on the Hill. That kind of thing.

User Info Menu

No more blues for me.
    I think you missed the point... Listen to to words

SRV copy cats. Listen to the words? They're stupid.

I'm not sure if I would rather listen to crappy blues or Barry Manilow. Sort of a toss up. I might have to go with Barry.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure if I would rather listen to crappy blues or Barry Manilow. Sort of a toss up. I might have to go with Barry.

Scott Henderson is crappy blues!!!!
    You'd rather listen to Manilow, boy you just shot yourself in the foot.

User Info Menu

Lolololololol.........

User Info Menu

Mandy is a nice tune..I do remember a keyboard player that got lost after the IV7 chord..did he stop playing..of course not..just kept trying to "find" the next chord.."..its got to be here somewhere.."..yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    Scott Henderson is crappy blues!!!!
    You'd rather listen to Manilow, boy you just shot yourself in the foot.
    Yes, I'd rather listen to Manilow than SRV imitators. Manilow has a good voice technically but I don't like his show or material. I don't mind some smaltz but he's too much for me.
    I don't like Manilow or Henderson so what's the problem?
    Damn, this site is going to turn me into a hater.

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    Mandy is a nice tune..I do remember a keyboard player that got lost after the IV7 chord..did he stop playing..of course not..just kept trying to "find" the next chord.."..its got to be here somewhere.."..yeah...
    Mandy? I've heard worse. Manilow's choice of material is yuck.
    Last edited by Stevebol; 12-03-2014 at 05:09 PM.