The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 82
    Are my choices Barry Manilow and SRV copy-cat bands on some cruise gig? Doesn't seem like much of a choice to me. I hear combos doing just random pop tunes. Do tunes you like and play the gig.
    Why is this a problem? This is 2014 not the 80's. You don't have to get caught up with genres.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Back on topic here's some random cruise ship videos;

It's what musicians used to do in clubs. Play something people might recognize.
    Doesn't seem like rocket-science to me.

User Info Menu

Funny, I was just going to start a thread about being back from a cruise gig. I'm actually headed out tomorrow to do another two month stint on an English ship.

I'm on woodwinds for these gigs; the line cut the guitar chair in their orchestras a few years ago.

This particular line pays well, I have a cabin above the waterline (usually shared, but not always), the working hours are light, and I have officer deck/dining privileges.

Well, change in plans. I'm taking most of my relatives on a cruise. 3 couples. Royal whatever-it's-called has facilities for kidney dialysis for my brother. I think the salt air might do him some good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Back on topic here's some random cruise ship videos;
    Kinda like a stagger down Elmwood back in the day, eh? Sorry, this just doesn't cut it for me. Tralf for the win, as they say. I'm playing bass in a 60's BI band these days and it's not the fun I thought it would be. It's just not easy finding "jazzers of the geeze" in the middle of nowhere. Just gotta keep sheddin' that 7 string, I guess...
    Last edited by ah.clem; 12-03-2014 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by ah.clem
    Kinda like a stagger down Elmwood back in the day, eh? Sorry, this just doesn't cut it for me. Tralf for the win, as they say. I'm playing bass in a 60's BI band these days and it's not the fun I thought it would be. It's just not easy finding "jazzers of the geeze" in the middle of nowhere. Just gotta keep sheddin' that 7 string, I guess...
    haha, Elmwood. What's a BI band? Buffalo is a trip with all that tribute stuff. If anything Buffalo has some decent fusion. George Puelo used to tear it up.

Quote Originally Posted by ah.clem
    Buffalo isn't my kind of scene. San Diego was good in the 80's. At this point the only US gig I would do is a boat gig.

User Info Menu

Put together an act and send an audition tape, it's not rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Put together an act and send an audition tape, it's not rocket science.
    Mm..yeah. I can't do it alone. Plus I'm old now. Haven't gigged in about 15 years. I'm familiar with the process but thanks anyway. At this point I might just hang it up.

User Info Menu

Hanging it up. Never been an option for me. But recently I've thought about it. Maybe on another thread I'll post my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    Hanging it up. Never been an option for me. But recently I've thought about it. Maybe on another thread I'll post my thoughts.
    I'll always play music. I mean hang it up professionally. It's always been strange for me. I was raised to be a musician and amateurs used to play a critical role in classical music. I wasn't raised to play classical though. I do miss those early years from about 15-21 years old when I jammed just about every night for fun.
    It's so provincial in the US now.

We'd like to hear what you have to say.

User Info Menu

I don't have the time or wherewithal at the moment. Processing a lot of things - mostly good things at the moment. Music, and not just jazz, is at a critical place for professional musicians. If you took the road less traveled you might not be in the best position to make this transition. The questions are how viable is it and can I still afford it? I'm about to release two CDs. Maybe three. If I can't get any traction at the ripe old age of 58 I might have to find some other way of making a living for the first time in my life. That's all. Nothing too dramatic.

I don't have the time or wherewithal at the moment. Processing a lot of things - mostly good things at the moment. Music, and not just jazz, is at a critical place for professional musicians. If you took the road less traveled you might not be in the best position to make this transition. The questions are how viable is it and can I still afford it? I'm about to release two CDs. Maybe three. If I can't get any traction at the ripe old age of 58 I might have to find some other way of making a living for the first time in my life. That's all. Nothing too dramatic.
    I made 1.5 million dollars in classical music. Now I'm going to blow it all on the stupid music Americans listen to. The last legit thing I did was turning pages. Turning pages is weird. I can barely read music and I don't play classical but it's easy. You look at mounds of notes. You do have to be quick and time it right when you turn the page but it's not hard to do.
    Last edited by Stevebol; 12-04-2014 at 05:42 PM.

I'd love to hear some cruise gig stories on this site. I didn't start his thread to babble about me. I'd like to hear about what songs you played, what you liked, what people liked. I think I should have started this in the 'From the Bandstand' section.
    Maybe the mods could move it.
    Last edited by Stevebol; 12-04-2014 at 06:52 PM.

I'm 57, about the same age as you. I got out a long time ago and thought about getting back into it maybe 4 years ago. I think it's time to move on. No more trying to play professionally.
    Playing music isn't the issue with me. I'll always do that. It's about whether to try to get paid or not. I just want to kick back and listen to music now. If I have an opportunity to jam that's cool. I want to have fun with music at this point.
    Last edited by Stevebol; 12-05-2014 at 04:54 PM.

User Info Menu

I had a great conversation with my wife about it this afternoon and last night and it will be ongoing. She's 100% opposed to me hanging it up in anyway or fashion. We went over many plans to make it a going concern. There are many branches available I've only partially explored. Studio guitarist, engineer, mixing, mastering, various types of gigs - my own and sideman, teaching privately, online, skype, community college, prisons, clinics, community outreach, . . . All if which I've done a lot if but not been working them really hard consistently.

I had a great conversation with my wife about it this afternoon and last night and it will be ongoing. She's 100% opposed to me hanging it up in anyway or fashion. We went over many plans to make it a going concern. There are many branches available I've only partially explored. Studio guitarist, engineer, mixing, mastering, various types of gigs - my own and sideman, teaching privately, online, skype, community college, prisons, clinics, community outreach, . . . All if which I've done a lot if but not been working them really hard consistently.
    At this point I might as well stay put and do nothing. In N. Milwaukee rap is the only game in town. Do rap or do nothing. That's not a knock against rap. That's just the way it is.
    Last edited by Stevebol; 12-05-2014 at 09:38 PM.

User Info Menu

At this point I might as well stay put and do nothing. In N. Milwaukee rap is the only game in town. Do rap or do nothing. That's not a knock against rap. That's just the way it is.
    You should do rap. I'll be your dj.
    And we'll pose on our album covers like this:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Broyale

Yes, it's about time for another Vanilla Ice.

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    Lol. Say's the 'jazz' musician.

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    I'm not trying to get in the game I'm trying to get out.

Quote Originally Posted by Broyale
    I'm thinking about getting a building for band rehearsal space in Buffalo. It's a way out of the music business pretty much. I want out. Some people think I can play jazz but I can't. It's always been a curse. I had good R&B gigs at one time but groupies pushed me into the imaginary world of the employed jazz musician.
    Society thinks it's romantic to be an unemployed jazz musician. I think it's stupid.

I think my only way out of the music business is to start a business.

User Info Menu

I'm thinking about getting a building for band rehearsal space in Buffalo. It's a way out of the music business pretty much. I want out. Some people think I can play jazz but I can't. It's always been a curse. I had good R&B gigs at one time but groupies pushed me into the imaginary world of the employed jazz musician.
    Society thinks it's romantic to be an unemployed jazz musician. I think it's stupid.
    My friend has had a rehearsal studio (rental storage lockers) for almost 30 years now and it's a tough business. I worked there for awhile in the early days. Expensive to setup, theft a issue, those skipping out on bill, record company slow pay, parking, sometime long slow periods. Then dealing with non-group members hanging out, people trying to cattle call auditions, and on and on. The facilities heating, air conditioning, power, and these days wifi. Then trying to find a market there are lots of competitor nearby, but they only do lockouts. My friend does well being one of few in area that does hourly, daily, or monthly. He's stayed in business but he also gigs a lot and had investments in other things. He loves music is why he keeps it going.

It's a business you do because you love music and musicians not one to make much money with.

But it is cool when musicians you really like are in and getting to hear them. Buzz Feiten used to get a room for the whole day. Buzz by himself would just play and work on amp setting and play and play. Robben Ford would come in for a few hours at a time and test amps out.
    Last edited by docbop; 12-06-2014 at 05:27 PM.