The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 175

User Info Menu

your right it is not the same as drums keys and bass... I do not have to worry about backing tracks flaking out and not showing up..or showing up and getting drunk. if the sound is good. then great. if find a drummer with a electric set great . do not talk about rods and brushes that will not give the sound I want.. till then will move forward.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EOE
    your right it is not the same as drums keys and bass... I do not have to worry about backing tracks flaking out and not showing up..or showing up and getting drunk. if the sound is good. then great. if find a drummer with a electric set great . do not talk about rods and brushes that will not give the sound I want.. till then will move forward.
    You could bring Band-in-a-Box guitar soloist to the gig too, then you could have the night off.

User Info Menu

Hi grahambop.
    I have just had a quick look & listened to your soundcloud clips again,
    and they are mightily impressive, you achieve a very nice tone from
    I guess, your Es175. The youtube clip of Jim Hall with Bob Brookmeyer
    on "I should care " is absolutely exquisite also. Thanks for the post, it's
    a pleasure to listen to these wonderful renditions.

kind regards
    Silverfoxx

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by OldGuitarPlayer
    Meh...I'd rather listen to someone who doesn't need backing tracks to perform...in any situation. However I don't care if others use them. Whatever makes you happy however....

This guy is a human jukebox.

Such joy... and Bucky's smile will light up the largest room.

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fep

Hank playing with one of the bands he plays with:

My kind of pageant, if needs must.

User Info Menu

If you view a drummer showing up with an electronic drumset and without brushes as a positive I think it's pretty clear we have hugely different preferences for playing a gig. If the drummer is playing an electronic drumset I'd be the one to worry about getting drunk.

User Info Menu

John Pizzarelli has a room full of adults singing "itsy bitsy spider."

That's commanding an audience, right there. What a performer. What an entertainer.

User Info Menu

you really think a guitar soloist can deliver the same percussions as a backing track? A few people may like a solo instrumentalist. but they are to few to consider in a business plan. look I play double neck bass and guitar. I can play both necks at the same time and do it effectively , I can even improve solos on both simultaneously . that is great for the show I am working on.. but in a high end restaurant they are there to talk with some nice music creating a atmosphere . not to watch a show. a drummer with a acoustic can not play at a low enough volume for that kind of gig. at least I will not be satisfied with the sound.. been there done that...not much I have not done gig wise.
    Last edited by EOE; 02-10-2015 at 11:50 AM.

User Info Menu

grahanbop asked .That is very impressive, in fact I'm trying to picture how it's done.

I have Michael Angelo Batio ( who is the master of multi neck playing) string dampers on the necks. the instrument is on a guitar stand. necks pointing up at about 10oclok. left hand is fingering normal using all taps .hammers etc. the right hand frets over the top of the bass neck. taps and hammers. can also play it more traditional doing taps ..but over under is more effective.. but the down side is I can not do pick techniques like pinch harmonics et.. can not do flamenco or classical finger styles which I draw on heavily...or slap bass .. so while it does look cool the soloing is limited in tones I can get so I still need a band to achieve a sonic landscape that satisfies me. I have got rid of all my hang-ups that I think slows musicians down. like not using backing tracks or loops etc..having to play a 2000.00 dollar guitar.

I play in a trio with a bass player and a drummer and they always show up on time and don't get drunk on the gig.
    This is because they consider themselves professionals. We always never make less than $100 each for a 2 hr gig. If someone justifies using backing tracks because they don't have to worry bout flakey or drunk musicians than they need to play with a higher caliber of working musicians. Having had to sit through a set of backing tracks by a local pop singer it gets very boring and tedious and after 30 mins I left. I guess it's ok for the "fern bar" crowd who aren't really paying attention however if that's your target audience than why bother with backing tracks at all? Just play your guitar quietly in the corner and still get paid. I've done it plenty of times.

User Info Menu

even with a bass and a drummer I will still use backing tracs.. my understudy plays bass, percussions and keys. now that using backing tracks no longer bothers me they will be a part of my acts. until I can afford a 9 or 10 pic band that is.

User Info Menu

Somewhat related, I saw Beck (the guy who just stole the grammy from Beyonce ) at a small gig at Northwestern University some years back...just him and his guitar player and a drum machine (and old Roland thing)

Near the end of the show, he had the drum machine take a drum solo. It was great.

User Info Menu

My question is, if a player is only making $200 for a gig, is it reasonable to expect him to split that with 3 other people because...Jazz?
    $200 doesn't seem like "lemme split this up" kind of money.

User Info Menu

That's why you play larger group jazz gigs for your soul and make your money in the local wedding band, or something.

Or play solo.

User Info Menu

200 dollars is not enough really for one.. backing tracks are a industry standard and lots of acts use them at some level.. I look to people who make good money and many of them use backing tracks loppers and other types of sampled music. I apologize if offend anyone but if you are only making 300. dollars for a 2 hr show for three people you are each making a profit of what 10. dollars? at best 50. dollars? your advice and opinions is not something I want to copy..quite the opposite . it is a example of what not to do.

User Info Menu

200 dollars is not enough really for one.. backing tracks are a industry standard and lots of acts use them at some level.. I look to people who make good money and many of them use backing tracks loppers and other types of sampled music. I apologize if offend anyone but if you are only making 300. dollars for a 2 hr show for three people you are each making a profit of what 10. dollars? at best 50. dollars? your advice and opinions is not something I want to copy..quite the opposite . it is a example of what not to do.
    When I was at jazz camp last summer, we had a small course on technology. One of the faculty guitarist talked about how he gigs with his looper pedals and iPad. It was pretty impressive how he uses technology to create sets and arrange music on the fly.

I don't understand your math. If my trio gets paid a minimum of of $300 (we usually make more than that) for a 2 hr show that is $100 each or $50 an hour each. I pay everyone in my group equally including myself. Sometimes I pay myself less because my band is so good! You should try hiring competent musicians sometime. It's a lot more fun than playing to canned music.

User Info Menu

That depends .... First of all if the industry is improvising music or jazz then backing tracks are absolutely not the industry standard. Saying they're okay is one thing and it's certainly your prerogative but they're most definitely not an "industry standard" ... I also put loops and samples in a different category than boppin' along to Stella with a backing track band. Also ... There's a difference of perspective. I'm not an act ... I'm a musician ... W backing tracks the music isn't as good. Again ... My opinion... But that's end of story for me
    Last edited by pamosmusic; 02-11-2015 at 03:35 PM.

User Info Menu

the math.. what were your expenses?.. how much fuel? was there a meal involved? was there at least one rehearsal? you have to figure in space even if you own the space has to be figured in for tax purposes. what were the expenses on that? was there miscellaneous expenses? just saying I know from past spreadsheets.. not a lot of profit there. I do not have anyone on my list that will work for that.. 200. minimum is the cheapest cat on my list. my understudy works for free but that will most likely not last over a year and I will have to pay him. I do not like all jazz bands ... lot of trios etc . I would not go see...just saying .
    Last edited by EOE; 02-11-2015 at 04:50 PM.

User Info Menu

I am working on a series of home recordings that I would term "work tapes" of jazz standards that essentially are three tracks - two classical guitar and a vocal. Occasionally I add a synth bass track. I term them 'work tapes' because they are not fine tuned in a computer DAW with comped tracks, extensive dynamics processing, etc. And I would never use Autotune, which I consider a form of fraud. I think the results are pretty good.

I find it is harder to overdub oneself well than to play with other musicians live. But I could see doing a restaurant gig or wine tasting or private party with well executed backing tracks that are in effect recorded as one take "live" tracks.
    The point is that the music becomes more complex and rich imo. I'm also comfortable doing chord melody instrumental versions or voice plus guitar accompaniment live. I just like to go beyond the limitations of live solo performance. And if a restaurant proprietor is willing to pay me for a gig with this format, I would not turn it down. Nothing replaces a live jazz trio or quintet, but these days economic reality rears its ugly head. It ain't the Fifties in Manhattan anymore.

Jay
    Last edited by targuit; 02-11-2015 at 06:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Even as a listener/consumer, I would never stick around a bar listening to someone playing to tracks. At that point why not just play in a wedding band to make money?

User Info Menu

upscale restaurants pay better have you even been following the thread? and if you can read I said " as a consumer" so ill help you here is the definition. a person who acquires goods and services for his or her own personal needs .. if you are performing in the bar you are not a consumer. I know i am a bad writer but did not think that was that bad, cosmic I have been to way to many jazzapaloozas and rockpalozas to old for that now .lolol
    Last edited by EOE; 02-11-2015 at 11:38 PM.

User Info Menu

cats that play like that can also play like this...

but yea a lot like that i am just moving in a different direction now I still do neo-classical just doing more fusion and blues nowadays... you wish you had his success. skill. talent and have influenced as many guitar players as he has . At the age of fourteen he started playing jazz guitar, and within two years he had won the Chicago-based "All-State Jazz Solo Award". at age 5 he was playing piano and composing. when you compare him to spinal tap puts your judgment into question in my book
    Last edited by EOE; 02-12-2015 at 08:39 PM.

User Info Menu

That second clip is fine, I quite like that.

I just don't like the shredding stuff much.

Have you got any clips of your playing? I'm being serious, I'd like to see how it works. There's a guy called Adam Fulara who's done some Bach tapping pieces which I found interesting.

User Info Menu

as soon as I get organized on recording I am going to do one of those monthly poll standards .. but I believe posting music on utube and giving it away for free is a mistake. and my show is still a year away from being ready at least as I am financing it. Michael has lot of less shredding stuff. I am moving away from that the money is only there in japan etc for that kind of playing. some people say I am dumbing down my music ..but I am enjoying nice easy smooth melodies now days and smooth jazz.