The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 175

User Info Menu

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/jazzg...tml#post470280

Ambrose akinimusire.

one of the top players in the world.

what a nonsensical comparison. with a local player doing some little gigs here and there.

We get it. You hate backing tracks with every fibre of your being.

Idea:

why don't you, and all the people that feel so strongly about us backing trackers, go start your own thread on how you hate backing tracks?

and stop screwing up this one?

Are rock bands playing of the backing tracks? No
    wrong. from top acts, to the wedding bands you are so scornful of, many use tracks, from sophisticated to simple. Michael Buble used "canned" music at the Olympics.

A friend of mine played a cruise ship. He told the players were outstanding. All the music was in charts. Every single part was duplicated on a computer, and any part whatsoever could be performed without the musician being there if necessary. the whole concert (with singers and dancers) was to a click track. The music was demanding and parts complex.

so much strong opinion here and so few facts here, it's remarkable.

This place seriously needs some decent moderating.
    Last edited by markf; 10-31-2014 at 11:32 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It really is not an 'either / or" situation - i agree most of us would prefer to play with a live band of top quality musicians. But the economic and perhaps demographic reality is different today. Fewer gigs, more competition, fewer jazz clubs specifically. You cannot even busk without a freakin' license from the city. Demographics because the boomers are heading off to retirement and nursing homes. The current generation is accustomed to DJs at dances and they are fewer venues for live music. What are you supposed to do if you want to play? Unlike those who use Autotune to get their vocals in tune, those who use backing tracks for practice or certain performance venues are not trying to deceive anyone - they are competing for diminishing resources.

User Info Menu

And now to finnish, electronic music based pop and mega rock bands having backing tracks support, or as complete soundstage, or what Henry told us he did with one band, all that is another unrelated subject. I won't go into explaining why, but it seams pretty obvious to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sandro
    I will offer a live performance where I can connect with the audience and make them feel that I am playing just for them, some body is on the stage interacting with the audience just like a band will do play that song just for them at that moment in time, you can't do that with a recording. Now I am feeling that I am stating the obvious.

Sandro
    Exactly. The people who should be concerned about what I do are DJs, not other musicians or bands. Many of my private event gigs were originally going to be hosted by DJs until they found out about me through word of mouth or seeing me play somewhere. They are often willing to pay MORE than they would have a DJ for the live experience. These are situations where a full band wasn't ever even a consideration.
    Last edited by EightString; 10-31-2014 at 01:48 PM.

User Info Menu

In truth, I would agree that the finest players can carry off a consistently entrancing performance as chord melody soloists. But one has to concede that to create a set list of virtuoso level solo performances in that vein requires not only virtuosity but a lot of work.

For example, last night I started working on that beautiful song, I Close My Eyes, by Billy Reid. This song like many other jazz classics can be carried off with panache as a solo chord melody. I wrote out the transcription in Sibelius in the key of F. This will be the basis for an improvised solo version, but I still wrote out the lead sheet as a melody stave and a guitar block chord staff accompaniment as my basic tracks to refine. With my new ability to use my Godin LGX-SA guitar for note entry into Sibelius I will be able to craft a more refined solo guitar instrumental version both at a ballad and as an uptempo version that is more boppy.

I'm really excited to be working on this tune, because it is a beauty. And I would have to concede that playing over as a backing track would be far easier than taking it to a high chord melody level, especially at the faster tempo. But that is what I will aspire to do. And meanwhile as I dig into the improv possibilities, I use the backing tracks to free me up and keep me grounded. Plus I get inspiration from the notation.

So I think the solo version would be much harder to perform, though I don't know if they would pay you more.

Jay
    Last edited by targuit; 11-01-2014 at 11:13 AM.

User Info Menu

Backing tracks in live performance just seem contrary to the spirit of jazz. It would be better if possible to form a duo with another musician who can provide some backing, e.g. bass or keyboard or (even!) another guitarist.

User Info Menu

It's not jazz. I don't even know if i can call it jazz when i play solo. Jazz is all about the interaction.

And music doesn't have to be jazz to be good. But i prefer not to distort people's opinions on what it is too much and dry up any opportunity i get to play the real thing...cuz thats the real thrill for me. And if that's selfish, tough tacos.

User Info Menu

Going back to what the OP asked, there are some nice tracks available here.

https://lrweb.berklee.edu/resources/playalongs/

You can download as mp3s and pdfs. On the audio track you can change it from 'all instruments' to other options e.g. no drums etc.

I'm not sure if there are any bossas, but still it's a useful resource.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Going back to what the OP asked, there are some nice tracks available here.

https://lrweb.berklee.edu/resources/playalongs/

You can download as mp3s and pdfs. On the audio track you can change it from 'all instruments' to other options e.g. no drums etc.

I'm not sure if there are any bossas, but still it's a useful resource.
    Thank you grahambop for the link, is nice to see, once in a wile, somebody remembering my original post.

Sandro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sandro
    Thank you grahambop for the link, is nice to see, once in a wile, somebody remembering my original post.

Sandro
    Have you checked out the BIAB forum?

User Info Menu

I don't know. I've used some backing tracks to make some recordings, for fun and for students and just because. I haven't done it on a gig, but I haven't HEARD anyone complain about those. I found inspiration.

User Info Menu

I like a nice set of backing tracks that include some sax solos and sometimes vocals every few songs. It's nice to take a break and just lay out for a tune or just comp a bit, really gives the audience a nice variety. Sometimes just pretending to play along with some Wes album cuts with my guitar volume turned off does the trick, and sounds awesome. The majority of listeners love it and have no clue. The proof is repeat gigs. Pay is better than real jazz gig.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    I like a nice set of backing tracks that include some sax solos and sometimes vocals every few songs. It's nice to take a break and just lay out for a tune or just comp a bit, really gives the audience a nice variety. Sometimes just pretending to play along with some Wes album cuts with my guitar volume turned off does the trick, and sounds awesome. The majority of listeners love it and have no clue. The proof is repeat gigs. Pay is better than real jazz gig.
    No joke, recently I've heard about a childhood friend having agig where he plays rockaabilly records in some restaurant, full commercial records by all the greats, while plonking guitar here and there and making some dance moves, of course being properly dressed and everything. And guess what, audience loves him. That's what I've heard. Kind of radio DJ with a guitar, in a restaurant.

User Info Menu

Worst case of technology trumping me as a player.....

I hang with a matial arts group 2-3 times a week. At an after-workout gathering as often occurs, someone brought an older friend along. One of the members started pumping me up about my guitar playing, and was asking me various questions on how to learn certain techniques. My bubble was quickly burst, when the group guest interrupted to tell us all that we needed to hear her grandson play. She relayed that he was only 7 years old, had only been playing a few months, and he was already playing at a professional level with a full band. At first I didn't say anything, except well "Great!" But then I started wondering, 'cause it just sounded a bit over-the-top. Well she never copped to it being 'Guitar Hero,' and she insisted he was playing a real guitar; but upon answering a series of questions, that's what it had to have been.

Also......There's a South Park episode where the kids are playing 'Guitar Hero.' Stan's dad (one of the kids' dads) sees this, gets all excited and insists that the kids listen to him play a real guitar, where he plays an old classic rock song note-for-note (believe it was Kansas). The kids basically tell him to get lost, so that they can continue playing Guitar Hero. Funny, tragic scene.

On the flip side.......I was doing a Social Work internship about 5 years back. It was for an adolescent program. I would often bring my guitar along and teach the kids some beginning songs. The ones that played 'Guitar Hero' tended to be able to switch notes and chords in time pretty easily.........oftentimes more easily than other kids trying to learn who had better ears.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    I have just one response to those who feel that playing to backing tracks cannot be original, other than being an "original sin". And this is one of the finest guitarists I have ever heard. Happens to be a contributor to the forum, too.

If you would be bored by this fellow because he doesn't have a real band behind him, then you have tin ears. Of course, Paul is so good, he should have a top class jazz quintet backing him. Just my opinion...

Jay
    You are right, Jay! Paul is top notch and a very good friend, we both graduated from G.I.T. in 1978.

User Info Menu

Creating your own backing tracks makes them part of the creative process. Buying commercial backing tracks doesn't teach one as much as making them from scratch, no matter what kind of music, including straight-ahead jazz. Another way to do a solo gig effectively is with a looper. Play your solo arrangement of the head, then do a chorus of backup with the looper, then play over that, or do a vamp and play over that. One can even prepare and save loops before doing the gig, which may give you the opportunity to lay down a bassline, then comp over it, and even create a "drum" part by tapping or strumming the muted strings. With a 7-string, this becomes even more complete. I do many jazz brunches, and this is a great way to actually get to play some jazz, interacting with your own harmonic and rhythmic concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    Play your solo arrangement of the head, then do a chorus of backup with the looper, then play over that, or do a vamp and play over that. One can even prepare and save loops before doing the gig, which may give you the opportunity to lay down a bassline, then comp over it, and even create a "drum" part by tapping or strumming the muted strings. With a 7-string, this becomes even more complete. I do many jazz brunches, and this is a great way to actually get to play some jazz, interacting with your own harmonic and rhythmic concepts.
    I'd love to see/hear you doing this if you've got a recording or whatever...or just a phone at a gig maybe. sounds cool...

User Info Menu

We have a really good guitarist in town, Hank Easton, that plays in bands and does solo acts also.

I go to see him play solo sometimes at a outside dinner place that has maybe 10 - 12 tables, it's part of a hotel. I don't know what he get's paid but it can't be much, maybe mostly tips. He also has to keep his volume down because of the location. They have solo acts every night, he has Wednesdays. This is clearly a solo act location and gig.

He splits his act up between some tunes with backing tracks and some not. He has a huge repertoire across genres.

I would argue his use of backing tracks is not putting anyone out of work, is not hurting any musicians. He could easily do the gig without the backing tracks, he chooses not to. The small audience seems to dig it and he's a draw. He makes a living.

He's so, so, so much better than me... these are the kind of musicians that keep me from having any desire to play in public.

Hank playing with one of the bands he plays with:

Meh...I'd rather listen to someone who doesn't need backing tracks to perform...in any situation. However I don't care if others use them. Whatever makes you happy however....

This guy is a human jukebox.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuitarPlayer

This guy is a human jukebox.

That's so neat! Or as the old song goes, "That's Entertainment!"

User Info Menu

This is another way to be a solo artist:

Hey no backing tracks!!!!!

Sandro

User Info Menu

It is business. players can be hard to find. then the gig has to pay for the size of the band...if backing tracks are a good tool...players who have good business skills and marketing skills are going to survive. hold outs refusing to flow with the market will not. seams like cats want to keep doing things the old way, gig for cheap. l will be starting with backing tracks till I find a good drummer for the project.. lots of issues with musicians now days. but the pros that wait for my project to be finished will not be paid as good as the ones who are putting in sweet equity.

User Info Menu

Since backing tracks have long been accepted on recordings, it's no surprise that most people do not object to their use in live settings....

User Info Menu

Jazz is all music and no a guitar is not a orchestra . you can not do bass, drums ,keyboards, sax and guitar on one. and that is not a orchestra.. you have to face facts . the target audience for solo guitar is small. but a cruse ship will hire you. I will say it another way, marketing class............ and many times the soloist is playing too backing tracks...may times the supporting music is recoded first.......musicians who make backing tracks are getting paid..well if you are cool you will pay.

User Info Menu

Backing tracks aren't the same as having bass, drums, keyboards, and sax on the gig either.