The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 41 of 41

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Heh, I don't know if my little brother is still so foolish, but he told me that on long drives, he'd steer with his knees and play the harmonica.

I don't know what's the key: living where you like it, or learning to like where you live.
    When I was younger I would just move did it a few times, but now older having to weigh the attraction of NYC and Jazz scene and what makes financial sense. It might just be better to live someplace inexpensive that doesn't think Jazz is a dirty word, then go to NYC on vacation now and then.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

One other thing about living in NYC is for many of the working stiffs like me, enjoying all the city has to offer is rarely taken advantage of. Most people just want to get home after a long day at work. The weekend is for taking care of all the things you couldn't do during the week, going to the city is rarely on the menu.

On the other hand I lived in Williamsburg from 1997-2007...right before hipster invasion. That was probably the best living situation I ever had in NYC. Really cheap rent, I think we paid about $400 a month. Subway was right outside the front door. It took about 15 minutes to get into Manhattan. I was going out a lot more back then.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djangoles
    One other thing about living in NYC is for many of the working stiffs like me, enjoying all the city has to offer is rarely taken advantage of. Most people just want to get home after a long day at work. The weekend is for taking care of all the things you couldn't do during the week, going to the city is rarely on the menu.

On the other hand I lived in Williamsburg from 1997-2007...right before hipster invasion. That was probably the best living situation I ever had in NYC. Really cheap rent, I think we paid about $400 a month. Subway was right outside the front door. It took about 15 minutes to get into Manhattan. I was going out a lot more back then.
    I was told that a lot of the musicians are getting priced out and keep moving further away. That many had moved to Jersey City, but what I've been reading Jersey City is getting expensive from even business people leaving NYC.

User Info Menu

Yea I think it's been building up in the last few years. We're actually planning on moving out of state in Jan 2016....just saving enough so we have a nice cushion when we go. Anyway this was an interesting read from a couple of weeks ago.

Escape from New York: Why some have put the city behind them - NY Daily News

User Info Menu

Yea I think it's been building up in the last few years. We're actually planning on moving out of state in Jan 2016....just saving enough so we have a nice cushion when we go. Anyway this was an interesting read from a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks that's exactly what I needed to read and answers all the questions I've been asking myself. What those people were saying about NYC is pretty much the same things I have to say about Los Angels and leaving there after growing up there. The young and rich are buying up the city and with the neighborhoods the old small businesses are closing up and overpriced trendy business are opening and openly saying we don't want your business we cater to the affluent. Nowadays in LA the traffic isn't rush hour anymore it's become a constant. I went back to LA yesterday with and old buddy to hit the music stores. I had only left LA about 18 month ago so wasn't as shocked with the traffic but it was a major pain after being away from it. My buddy who also grew up in LA hadn't been back in years and he was in total shock he was even having trouble figuring out where we were at times even in our old neighborhood.

So thanks all for your input to my post I finally have the answers I need about moving to NYC and it don't. I take online lessons with a NY teacher, I watch the Small's stream, and listen to WBGO online so I get all the NYC I need and can afford. Now just find a comfortable and affordable city or town for me and my guitar.

Thanks again all this was an immense help.

Sorry to the OP I didn't intend to hijack your thread I thought I'd ask a related question.

User Info Menu

Is Stanton Island still affordable?

User Info Menu

Not really and that commute is actually worse than Jersey

User Info Menu

I find the subtitle a bit exteme: Breaking out feels impossible. But it can be done.

For me, the ideal is to live and work in a town, but visit a city. For me that city is Vancouver, which routinely makes those lists of the world's most livable cities. The trouble is, an average house is over a million. So I get what the people were saying in the article, but I'd still rather not have to commute!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I find the subtitle a bit exteme: Breaking out feels impossible. But it can be done.
    I actually thought it was right on.....I can't imagine how difficult it would be to move if you're in serious debt, which the majority of people are.

I'm lucky in that I work in a creative field, get paid halfway decent and have no debt. While I didn't go to school for what I do, many of my co-workers did and the amount they have left on their loan, and what they pay a month just in rent and that loan is pretty scary. The catch 22 is that they can't leave because they won't get paid enough money anywhere else (except maybe LA) to cover that loan. One of my co-workers will not be paid on her loan until she's in her 60's...pretty depressing actually.

User Info Menu

I am now in MA, but lived most of my life in Bergen County, NJ as well. Bergen County, in general, is fairly expensive with high taxes, but there are some affordable areas that are about a 30 - 45 minute commute to Manhattan. The Morris County and Passaic county areas can be more affordable and within 30 minutes of NYC. I lived in the Parsippany/Roseland/West Caldwell area (Morris County) for about 10 years after college, and by car I could be through the Lincoln Tunnel in 30-35 minutes. It is much more affordable than NYC. Much quieter and more suburban, yet convenient to nearly all major roads (46, 80, 287, 78, 10, 208). If you like farmland there is some of that as well, and I passed a good deal of it while on my bicycle riding through the surrounding areas. Nothing is more convenient than being where the action is, but it comes at a steep price.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    I was told that a lot of the musicians are getting priced out and keep moving further away. That many had moved to Jersey City, but what I've been reading Jersey City is getting expensive from even business people leaving NYC.
    an addendum....As I was zoning out on the subway today, I looked up and staring at me was a large ad that had a bunch of "cool good looking hipsters" ....the text said.....Jersey City!!! Make It Your Own!!!

So basically it's over

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    Some were telling me I might be better off looking in New Jersey like Jersey City.
    Jersey worked for Tal Farlow (Sea Bright).

User Info Menu

Part of the Subway ad

Moving out of NYC, advice regarding future plans-jerseyad-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Jersey worked for Tal Farlow (Sea Bright).
    in 2014 and moving forward???

User Info Menu

Part of the Subway ad

Moving out of NYC, advice regarding future plans-jerseyad-jpg
    I read another article saying many of the young professionals that used to look down on "bridge and tunnel" people are now having to leave the city and become "bridge and tunnel" themselves.

User Info Menu

yea....15 years ago you wouldn't be caught dead in Williamsburg. My girlfriend used to take a car service from the restaurant she worked at (the only restaurant in Williamsburg back then), it was only 2 blocks away, but the area was pretty rough back then.