The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 254

User Info Menu

I remember once a group of very drunk lads came up. One of them said 'Joo know Joleen?' so I said yes (naturally!). He shoved something in my shirt pocket and they all went off up the street so I never had to play it.

£20 note

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've found the one-man band. He was actually a very intelligent man and a serious musician who could play guitar like a dream in private. Wrote some very good songs too. Wicked sense of humour :-)

User Info Menu

Here is how welcome busking is in many places in US.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo

Never argue with a policeman. Just identify himself. Stupid idiot.

User Info Menu

There seems to be a lot of these types of videos on Youtube. I am a bit surprised some don't make the US news.

I guess the focus is on other types of police confrontations. You know how the press is...they pick and choose. These days I guess they are more worried about airline confrontations.

User Info Menu

You don't talk to a police in a blatantly disrespectful manner or any kind of manner that demonstrates disrespect for the law. You have a problem, take it to a judge or jury. That's call "law and order". Disregard for police/law is becoming an ugly precedent. There is going to be a problem when you mouth off the cops, and there should be.

User Info Menu

I call it the "try something, pig" attitude. It's actually quite cowardly, if you think about it. In Chicago, I actually see people being more rude to officers than they would be to a stranger, because they know "the world is watching" (and a stranger might put you in your place a lot quicker)

User Info Menu

Busking is very common here in São Paulo - Brasil and I do a lot with my band. A lot of people around here doesn't know Swing and Trad Jazz, it's always a surprise for them.
    We don't get much money on the streets, but some wedding, birthday's party and events that we played was from people that saw we playing on the street.
    Last edited by clebergf; 05-10-2017 at 07:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Once again, I'm finding the point is being missed, so it must be my fault...did I post this to show how poorly this fellow responded to the police???...or did I post this to show the problems you might encounter by just pulling out your guitar and playing some places? It might take your brain to figure out my motive..so I apologize.
    Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 05-10-2017 at 07:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Citizens have no duty to be nice to the police. If a cop can't handle disrespect from the public, he needs to find another job. It comes with the territory, and is to be expected. And the more cops over-react to this, the less they are respected. That should be obvious. I've known a lot of cops, several of them relatives, and I find it difficult to like anyone who would ever want to be a policeman. They tend, in the main, to be arrogant and self-centered. Most people don't want to be policemen, and it takes a certain personality profile to want to be one. Plus, in the past few years cops seem to be terrified of everyone they stop, and over-reaction is almost guaranteed by that combination. It seems like an unstoppable downward spiral, the more cops abuse citizens the less respect they get, and the less respect they get the harder their attitude becomes, and it just gets worse and worse. In the end, iMO, if you put on a badge and a gun, you must be held to a higher standard than the average citizen. If you can't handle verbal abuse, don't put on the damned badge in the first place.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smokinguit
    I've been thinking about it not so much for the money but just to get out there and play with this band I've been asked to join. Their in it for the money. Is busking something any of you have considered, whether just for the money or just to advertise your skills. Is it a respectable venture? Or is it something only unemployed or underemployed musicians do?
    I've done it -- unemployed and underemployed.

For me it was a much more fearful thing than a straight gig -- more requests that show up immediately on the bottom line (cause they don't tip if you don't play it for whatever reason), no set list. But I've done it, and it isn't that bad. The best take with myself and a percussionist was about a hundred bucks and a quarter-ounce of chocolate thai a few hours before a Dead show at Ventura County Fairgrounds. For a 17-year-old idjit, not bad.

User Info Menu

I once busked in Barcelona with a few band mates when I was on tour in Barcelona over 20 years ago.. it was quite fun and earned quite a bit a money until the cops kicked us out..

I feel it is a shame for buskers to get hassled by the police, it is not like they are begging for money, the buskers are giving away some art (depending on the busker)... and if the people like it, then fine... I can understand if it is noise pollution. The buskers need to be sensitive to their surroundings. However, I think some cops like to break them up just because they can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I remember some places I've lived. Bagpipes in Brighton was pretty irritating. And in Scotland there was this African guy who screamed, moaned, and thumped randomly on this very loud drum. That was unbelievably awful. Maybe he thought we'd assume it was some kind of interesting cultural music. Personally I just think he was just trying to get some money in. Neither of them was moved on as far as I know.

But there have been some extremely skilled players on the street too, no question there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    And in Scotland there was this African guy who screamed, moaned, and thumped randomly on this very loud drum. That was unbelievably awful.
    Perhaps the deal was you pay him to stop?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Perhaps the deal was you pay him to stop?
    Oh, trust me, that joke was on everybody's lips!

User Info Menu

Actually there was a good busker today playing near where I work. He played trombone and did 'Do Nothing Till You Hear From Me' complete with 'growling' effects, then he played 'Ornithology', to my amazement. Did a good job too, so I paid him.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Citizens have no duty to be nice to the police. If a cop can't handle disrespect from the public, he needs to find another job. It comes with the territory, and is to be expected. And the more cops over-react to this, the less they are respected. That should be obvious. I've known a lot of cops, several of them relatives, and I find it difficult to like anyone who would ever want to be a policeman. They tend, in the main, to be arrogant and self-centered. Most people don't want to be policemen, and it takes a certain personality profile to want to be one. Plus, in the past few years cops seem to be terrified of everyone they stop, and over-reaction is almost guaranteed by that combination. It seems like an unstoppable downward spiral, the more cops abuse citizens the less respect they get, and the less respect they get the harder their attitude becomes, and it just gets worse and worse. In the end, iMO, if you put on a badge and a gun, you must be held to a higher standard than the average citizen. If you can't handle verbal abuse, don't put on the damned badge in the first place.
    "The cops don't need you and man they expect the same": Bob Dylan; Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues .

Just give them free coffee and donuts from the donut shop and all's cool.
    Last edited by mrcee; 05-16-2017 at 12:49 AM.

User Info Menu

Don't get tricky with the cops. They're just guys doing a job. Whether or not a person is politically in agreement with them is secondary.
    You probably don't have to do more than identify yourself and if they start asking a lot of questions about where you've been and the name of your girlfriend I suppose a guy at that point could calmly say something like "With all due respect to law enforcement officer I'd prefer not to answer all of these questions. This isn't North Korea." And I believe that LE does have the right in most if not all states to take a person into custody for 72 hours just for suspicion. Not sure about that though. And I wouldn't think that it would be an option they would regularly exercise without good reason. I rarely get pulled over. I look like a younger Clint Eastwood and drive a fairly new pickup truck with Texas plates but I get stopped every once in a while for something like a burnt out taillight. I'm always polite and if they want to ask where I'm going (every year or so I make a road trip from TX to Cali and might be out in West TX at 2 AM so that's a reasonable question) or what I do for a living I'll chat with them in a relaxed manner for a minute or two. I've got nothing to hide. The prison system is full of hot heads that get attitudinal with any kind of authority figure. Just like snarky guys on the forum that get bellicose. They're just looking for trouble. In this world you usually get what you give.

User Info Menu

It's certainly in your best interests to be polite with the police. But you don't have a constitutional duty to do so, although some cops seem to believe that you do.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Just to be a little fair to the police in that video, we don't know what they were investigating. We don't know what history, if any they had with that gentleman. We don't know why they were detaining him. We don't know if he had a previous violent incident. The tape itself is clearly edited and so we don't know what was said or done by that individual. We don't really know anything about what led to the physical confrontation. We do know that the individual became violent when the police tried to arrest him.
    But yeah, police are always at fault and buskers are always innocent lambs. Actually we don't even know if he was busking or even if that was his guitar that he was holding. Oh well-no matter. Let's just assume that the police had no reason to detain him and that his rights were violated.

User Info Menu

My wife and my daughters know that I always give money to the buskers. I love it.

Sometimes I do it but I HATE when people record you with the cell phone . Why don't we just try to enjoy the moment?

User Info Menu

Last week during holidays my middle child wanted to go busking so I went with him. He played violin and I played fingerstyle guitar. We made a small bit of money.

We enjoyed it and I went out the next afternoon by myself and did pretty good so of course I was accompanied by all my kids the next two times. The boys made more than their monthly pocket money and I made enough to buy another battery powered amp so that I have a spare.

The rest of the money we donated to charity.

Today was the first time I went out after last week and it was lovely playing music in the sunshine and having the occasional chat with passers by.

The boys are practising their instruments more because of busking and they are earning a skill that they can use all over the world when they are travelling later on.

I see it as a win/win/win/win

User Info Menu

Interesting discussion with some surprising comments. I believe it depends on your personality type if you busk or not. For me, it is a demeaning experience for a serious musician since the act ,itself, implies that no one is willing to pay you to play a traditional performance. And, for me, it doesn't matter if you are a consummate artist or a 3 chord guitar banger. It is an act of desperation. However, I do not want my comments to be interpreted as a mean-spirited criticism for those who do busk but rather an expression about how I feel about music and performance from a purely personal perspective. It doesn't work for me.
    In my life, I could have played 75% more jobs if I wanted to play for what I considered an unfair fee. I always felt that it was demeaning for me and the music and hurt the prospects of other serious musicians who needed a fair price for a performance. When I played with bands, we never did charity gigs(unpaid) or played free for friends. Period. I have, however, played for a handful of close friends' weddings for free. The bottom line, from my perspective, is that I have spent over 20,000 hours in a practice room, studying with teachers, and, in college classrooms studying theory, composition, and arranging and countless paid performances over the last 50 plus years from ensemble to solo work and that my time is worth something other than a pat on the back or some loose change thrown in a hat. Perhaps, I am in the minority here but I take myself and music very seriously. And, my time is valuable.
    So, to reiterate, I do not criticize others for busking. However, it doesn't work for me.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

I went round Europe three times on the flute in the late 80s - playing Bach and Mozart mostly

made about 100 quid a night on the French Riviera

----

I introduced my boys to flute during lockdown - we worked out a bunch of tunes, some with three part harmonies (St Thomas, If I only had a brain, Mona Lisa, Zipadeedoodaa)

after about 6 weeks I was on the high street in Worcester with my younger boy (7) playing these tunes. He had it all down pretty well.

what I could not believe is that so few people took any notice. He's 7 - we're playing sweet flute duets on cool tunes - and 85 percent of people behaved as if we weren't there.

he was thrilled we made twenty quid in about half an hour.

I've probably messed him up something rotten.

(I was very happy to do this instead of getting a proper job through Uni. - but I'm not prepared to do it - without a seven year old - any more)