The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 254

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyGster
    You, along with whomever made that stupid meme, haven't a clue about busking.

I made my living as a busker for more than a decade. Buskers and panhandlers are sworn enemies on the street.

If you feel it's beneath you, don't do it. But don't disparage the many great performers who are taking it to the streets, just because you're too chicken to try it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Maybe you're not familiar with cosmic's sense of humor, Mr. 1 post. And what's your beef with panhandlers? Work it out. There's plenty of room for everyone.

What is your opinion on busking?-pipe-man-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Can't stand those pesky buskers.

I just made $60 in less than an hour busking in front of my local coffee shop! Happy Mother's Day!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzpunk
    Can't stand those pesky buskers.

One of the coolest things I've ever seen!! I've got a new found respect for Jimmy Kimmel and U2.

User Info Menu

Busk em' Danno. Busk em' all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuitarPlayer
    I just made $60 in less than an hour busking in front of my local coffee shop! Happy Mother's Day!!

Details. We want details. What tunes did you do?

User Info Menu

Yesterday we auditioned for the permit to play in a subway in NYC. They do it once a year I think. Kinda big event, with judges and everything... It was nice to see many familiar faces there, jazz majors from New School, MSM... So, yeah, you can talk down the busking, but in NYC many pros, or would be pros, ain't too proud to beg... Talk about artistic integrity when you have a day job, we just wanna make money

Even got interviewed by CBS

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/perfor...in-nyc-subway/

User Info Menu

It's pretty cool getting a license to beg...er busk. I want one.

User Info Menu

It reminds me of how f;;ked up our society is that we have Musicians Busking to survive these days! Try that with any other profession and people would think your crazy. Musicians (not entertainers) actual accomplished ones rarely get any accolades or proper compensation for their work. Not only that but they are also forced to compete w/ the average joe who couldn't play above the 3rd fret. It's probably the only profession were actually being good doesn't help!

User Info Menu

It is interesting to note the open source software industry in this context, where software developers often work unpaid. It's particularly interesting because software development is an industry where skills are in demand and paid well paid work is available.

Probably worth pointing out that some of the developers are doing this in their employers' time so are being paid. Others may be doing it for reasons of professional development - with a view to gaining skills and better employment. This of course might also be said of busking.

User Info Menu

A few years ago as an experiment the world renowned violinist, Joshua Bell, played in a subway station during prime hours for a while. Hardly anybody stopped to listen. Shows that context counts for a lot. Take a mediocre player and put him in Carnegie Hall and lots of people will eat it up with a spoon. Put a world class player in the subway station and he can hardly even pull a listener.
    Judging from the other posts though It sounds like things have improved.

Joshua Bell is playing in the Metro again. This time, maybe you won?t pass it up. - The Washington Post

User Info Menu

I should imagine one of the main benefits of busking is that you can practice without annoying the neighbours.

I've thought about it, many times, but it rains too much in Northern England for me to attempt any outside busking.

User Info Menu

Amazing how government restricts the liberty to busk by requiring a license.

User Info Menu

In Chicago, it has nothing to do with restricting liberty and everything with revenue.

I'm pretty sure we'll see pay toilets soon.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Yesterday we auditioned for the permit to play in a subway in NYC. They do it once a year I think. Kinda big event, with judges and everything... It was nice to see many familiar faces there, jazz majors from New School, MSM... So, yeah, you can talk down the busking, but in NYC many pros, or would be pros, ain't too proud to beg... Talk about artistic integrity when you have a day job, we just wanna make money

Even got interviewed by CBS

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/perfor...in-nyc-subway/
    How is that even legal? Someone is deciding who can and can't make money in a public place based on what they like.
    In NY it's not who ya know, it's who ya blow.

User Info Menu

I'm pretty sure we'll see pay toilets soon.
    you mean now it's free?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    How is that even legal? Someone is deciding who can and can't make money in a public place based on what they like.
    In NY it's not who ya know, it's who ya blow.
    Not exactly true. You can busk without any permission as long as it's acoustic and nobody complains. The license you get for certain spots where you can play with amps and drums and whatever you choose. Those are the spots with most traffic and less noise. I think it's only fair, because you don't wanna some hack taking a profitable spot and blocking someone who might deserve it better. Those spots shouldn't be on the first come first serve basis IMHO.

But I never had a license and was still able to busk, only problem if some pita cop decides to chase me out because I have a liitle amp. I hate playing subways anyway, the noise sucks. If we get a good spot though, it would be cool.

User Info Menu

I almost get the impression from some folk's responses about busking is that they don't seem to understand that it is not wanted or tolerated in some parts of the US, so it's not even an option.

User Info Menu

I've done a Christmas Market a couple of times. The upside is you can test out stuff on people who haven't paid and who will vote for what you are doing with money. You'll learn what people like best about you when they pay. And if you get it right you can earn a lot. I knew a circus act who earnt enough in the South of France in eight weeks to live for the rest of the year - about $3-4000 a week!

The downside is it will feel much colder than when you are just walking about and shopping - anything under about 8C feels cold when playing! And its illegal in LOADS of places and you'll get fined when caught - something that in the UK could mess up your CRB check and stop you teaching youngsters. So stay legal.

If you are not doing it for the money but want to practice with an audience, you don't need me to tell you there are better options - schools, old people's homes, sports clubs, shopping malls, garden centres at Christmas - in fact at Christmas if you are doing carols there is an endless list - and its nearly all in the warm inside.

Lastly it will build your confidence. There is something about busking that frightens the hell out of everyone. If you can cope with this, everything else seems easier.

User Info Menu

Busking is an ideal platform for artistic musical expression,the donation aspect of it is but only a happy bonus,in fact it may even disturb the spiritual and artistic connection but saying that it would only be unauthentic to remove the tip hat...for additional busking information based on over thirty years of street performing check out my busking blog....buskingthrough.blogspot.com?...Thanks

User Info Menu

Great article,says it all really..I've been busking now for over thirty years and I feel its an ideal platform for artistic and spiritual expression,tip hat or not.I am now in the process of producing a blog based on my past experiences.Please check it out... buskingthrough.blogspot.com?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Paint thrower
    Great article,says it all really..I've been busking now for over thirty years and I feel its an ideal platform for artistic and spiritual expression,tip hat or not.I am now in the process of producing a blog based on my past experiences.Please check it out... buskingthrough.blogspot.com?
    Hey! Thanks for the map! I didn't realize it was so accessible to go busking!

User Info Menu

Never done it myself. I see street musicians being exactly the same as musicians everywhere else though, sometimes they re bad, sometimes mediocre, sometimes great. I had a student once that made his living busking, traveling around the world, and he was great. Not great as a guitar player, but 100% the real thing as a musician and singer. He left for the east after a while...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GaryCorby
    There are some hilarious examples of world class concert violinists being ignored as buskers, so I'm not sure your audience will necessarily appreciate your effort.

On the other hand, no less than Madeleine Peyroux, who is an astonishingly talented musician, gave up recording for three years, to go back to busking on the streets of Paris.
    Oh, I do like Madeline Peyroux!

User Info Menu

And I've done a lot of busking. Beats doing it in your room every time. Played with tons of people, some very good, others not so but it was irrelevant. It's not always the good ones who draw the crowd.

I used to live in Brighton, UK, and the best jazz band used to busk almost every day between gigs. The most fun guy was a one-man band, he could wow the kids and old ladies like nobody's business. He was one of those naturally funny people, to see him was to smile. He always made a ton of money and went on TV once or twice - when he wasn't in Dubai.

Then there were the blues players, some of them had recording contracts, and the very gifted amateurs. Probably I could find quite a few on YouTube.

The silliest one was a bloke called George. He could only strum out simple chords and knew 3 songs, etc. He used to start broke, make enough for a pint, drink it, and start again. Come the end of the day he'd be sloshed out of his mind, broke again, and go home a happy bunny :-)