The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Posts 201 to 225 of 254

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by StringNavigator
    Asheville may be a nice place, but Asheville is not the world, Alder.
    Buskers attacked and robbed...? You bet. Google it.

But children should not be exposed to what your busker friends have to take care from.

Hell, one day I may find a perch on some corner and
    Welcome to my ignore list.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Littlemark
    For fun:
    Population is the USA IN 93' 260M.

260M/1K x 79.8 = 20,748,000 violent crimes. More then double from 19'. I mean that's a huge improvement. Even if the population hadn't increased by 70M. That's like two Canadas moving to The USA.
    Wait that might explain the drop in crime!!
    I'm glad we've solved something here. Lol
    I steer clear of identity politics. Too many people steeped in that Bottle of Shampoo.
    That kind of talk results in civil war.
    An' you're already stocked up on that.

Besides, you'all are movin' up here... Seriously...
    Free health care, wide open spaces, small population...
    Their only complaint is that we don't have no Trump or Biden...

'Cept for Toronto, it's fine!
    Too many forners movin' in to Toronto.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alder Statesman
    Welcome to my ignore list.
    Thank You!
    Of course, now you'll always notice my posts immediately as they will be hidden but labelled as being on your ignore list. Along with all the others on your list...
    Last edited by StringNavigator; 05-29-2021 at 08:37 PM.

User Info Menu

I know how you are using it, I'm suggesting you mean to use the word minstrel instead. Because a troubadour is not at all what you are thinking. It's closer to Romeo singing a song to Juliet than a busker.
    1. "Minstrel" is a form of racist entertainment, i.e., blackface:

Minstrel show - Wikipedia

2. Oh, what the heck do you think I'm doing, anyway? The females who hear me play when I busk are ALL potential "Juliets"! And some of them twerk at my feet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Saxophone Tall
    Oh, what the heck do you think I'm doing, anyway? The females who hear me play when I busk are ALL potential "Juliets"! And some of them twerk at my feet.
    Are you sure that's what they tryin' to do on yo' feets...?
    Last edited by StringNavigator; 05-29-2021 at 08:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Juggler Named Sally

Woman Juggling 3 Balls High-Res Stock Video Footage - Getty Images

Minstrel In The Gallery

Troubledors In The Alley

Prime Minstrel of Canada

Last edited by StringNavigator; 05-29-2021 at 11:45 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm reading these comments with hilarity. I busk. And I make more money per busk than I would in a club. My chops are on fire, women twerk at my feet, "name" musicians introduce themselves to me and compliment my playing (and occasionally ask for a card).

Cops equate buskers with beggars. The original musician was a busker (troubadour).

You don't know what you're missing.

Hi, ST
    Sounds like Milton's "Paradise Lost" . . . and, I bet the "twerking" really pays the bills!
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

I'm reading these comments with hilarity. I busk. And I make more money per busk than I would in a club. My chops are on fire, women twerk at my feet, "name" musicians introduce themselves to me and compliment my playing (and occasionally ask for a card).

Cops equate buskers with beggars. The original musician was a busker (troubadour).

You don't know what you're missing.

User Info Menu

Just to clarify, the twerking chickies just hang out for a bit, then leave *most* of them...).

User Info Menu

1. "Minstrel" is a form of racist entertainment, i.e., blackface:

Minstrel show - Wikipedia
    Well yes I know what "minstrelsy" and a "Minstrel Show" are. Easy to conflate the those with "Minstrels". They are similar in that they were both traveling entertainers. Singing, dancing, jokes, skits etc. But a "Minstrel" is a medieval entertainer. You wouldn't call the performers in a "Minstrel Show", "Minstrels". They were performers who partook in minstrelsy.

Annoying semantics. English is stooooopud. But context is important.

I wonder if medieval Minstrels partook in minstrelsy? Probably not, not much exposure to any people of colour.

User Info Menu

Well yes I know what "minstrelsy" and a "Minstrel Show" are. Easy to conflate the those with "Minstrels". They are similar in that they were both traveling entertainers. Singing, dancing, jokes, skits etc. But a "Minstrel" is a medieval entertainer. You wouldn't call the performers in a "Minstrel Show", "Minstrels". They were performers who partook in minstrelsy.

Annoying semantics. English is stooooopud. But context is important.

I wonder if medieval Minstrels partook in minstrelsy? Probably not, not much exposure to any people of colour.
    Agreed. But probably derived from that. I stand by troubadour. Famous LA club so named. Anyway, the original musician (caveman) was a rapper (beat on chest (beats!), yell..... So, we've come full circle (even though Rap isn't music).

User Info Menu

While you're enjoying your "better times", consider this...

You really haven't thought this through and you haven't realised yet what most of us know: Statistics Lie! Not in facts, but in how the facts are depicted.

Firstly, you're depicting reported crime, which is only the tip of the iceberg, as most crime goes unreported. Also, many US cities no longer report or respond to crimes under $5000... Did you consider that? These may be "better times" because crime is not reported...

But then you've made the CNN mistake of quoting "rates", rather than the total actual crimes. Once you quote a "rate", you have left reality behind.

Now, let's examine three of your graphs in "real" terms:

FBI Violence
    The FBI graph depicts the US violent crime rate per 100k.
    The US population is 330M, so you must multiply by a factor of 330M/100k or 3300x: 3300 x 379.4 = 1,252,020
    So, in 2019, 1.3M people were reported to be violently attacked or MURDERED!.
    Over one million victims violently attacked is a nightmare. Especially when you consider that most occur in cities which are small in area compared to the continental US.

BJS Violence
    The Bureau of Justice graph depicts the US violent crime rate (12yrs+) per 1k.
    The US population is 330M, so you must multiply by a factor of 330M/1k or 330,000x: 330,000 x 21 = 6,930,000
    So, in 2019, 6.9M people were violently attacked or MURDERED!. The number includes unreported crime. ?? Is this number just a bureaucrats' estimate?
    Seven million victims violently attacked is a nightmare. Especially when you consider that most occur in cities which are small in area compared to the continental US.

FBI Theft
    The FBI graph depicts the US property crime rate per 100k.
    The US population is 330M, so you must multiply by a factor of 330M/100k or 330,000x: 330,000 x 2109.9 = 696,267,000
    So, in 2019, 696M people were robbed.
    696 million victims of robbery is a nightmare. Especially when you consider that most occur in cities which are small in area compared to the continental US.

Unfounded fear mongering??
    Tell that to the 7M attacked or murdered and the 696M robbed...
    And that's only FBI & BJS reporting. What about the rest of the country? State and Local police...? Scams? Confidence Tricksters? Paedophile Abductions? Missing People?

You're the King of the Icebergs, and I publicly negate your post as it does not reflect the real situations on city streets. Why would you argue that crowded situations in the city are safe, anyway? What good are you achieving?

Keep your children in school and at home and always under watchful eye. Children buskers are exploited for money. This is not Communist China. Not yet, anyway. Not everyone wants to see children in the streets begging for money.

You've made it this far... guarantee what's left of your life.
    The 4S Rule Keeps Your Children Safe:
    Where? Don't take your children to stupid places.
    When? Don't take your children out at stupid times.
    Who? Don't take your children out around stupid people.
    What? Don't let your children do stupid things.

Jesus, I'm not going to debate the merits of statistics with you. I feel sorry that you are living in such fear.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drbhrb
    Jesus, I'm not going to debate the merits of statistics with you. I feel sorry that you are living in such fear.
    You'd do well to not use the Lord's Name in vain.
    Methinks your sorrow is disingenuous.
    No one on this thread, including myself, cares if you busk or not. Your safety is of no importance to me. You probably read, but you do more reading into things than one should.

Making children busk is in bad taste and exploitation. I couldn't bare to watch it and thankfully, have never seen it. Those who argue so hard for it aren't worth arguing with. I'm sure the child welfare authorities would be more effective than I in putting a quick end to it. Especially in urban areas.

User Info Menu

I'm lucky enough to have 2 weeklies the last 9 yrs and don't busk but there's an older guy that wears a suit and plays alto in front of my bank all day long and does pretty well w tips. I've never heard him play a tune, just these random wacky licks and runs that make no sense. You can hear him clear as a bell in the bank, I don't know how the employees can stand it.
    One day I decided to throw a couple bucks in in his case, but I asked him to play a tune, any tune. His response was "I don't know my horn, so I don't know any tunes"
    Well at least he was honest but the dough stayed in my pocket.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    ...there's an older guy...that plays alto in front of my bank all day long...I've never heard him play a tune, just these random wacky links and runs that make no sense...I don't know how the employees can stand it...I asked him to play...any tune. His response was "I don't know my horn, so I don't know any tunes"...
    Those forced to hear that obnoxious racket on a regular basis get my sympathy. They suffer from lazy police. Perhaps one day he'll eventually make one go "postal" and someone will cap his career... So many buskers - so little talent. Any bum or ham, today, can hit the streets and torture your ears with pure rubbish because they don't like to work for a living. Too lazy to even learn a tune. A talent is a rare and marvelous thing, but noise makers should be picked up and dropped outside the town limits. Even a quiet beggar is better than a no-talent busker.

User Info Menu

You'd do well to not use the Lord's Name in vain.
    Methinks your sorrow is disingenuous.
    No one on this thread, including myself, cares if you busk or not. Your safety is of no importance to me. You probably read, but you do more reading into things than one should.

Making children busk is in bad taste and exploitation. I couldn't bare to watch it and thankfully, have never seen it. Those who argue so hard for it aren't worth arguing with. I'm sure the child welfare authorities would be more effective than I in putting a quick end to it. Especially in urban areas.
    I don't think I ever suggested children busk? I just provided non-biased data that your fire and brimstone fear mongering was based on nothing at all, and regardless of ones musical preferences on busking one is not taking their life into their hand by strumming some chords on the corner.

And I'll do well to use whatever words I want thanks.

User Info Menu

I don't think I ever suggested children busk?
    LOL! You quoted me out of the blue, complaining. You should read before you write.

So why bother me? I'm only against child exploitation by adult buskers.
    City streets are dangerous for kids, today. Children are being stolen out of the schoolyards!
    People walking around with knives just slashing children randomly in some epidemic of fentanyl fueled rage.

I don't care if some fool wants to busk. I'm not jealous of any wannabee buskers. I just want them removed by the police if they're a no-talent noise-maker. I already made my money and play at home for the fun of it. Buskers, as long as they ain't pushy, can coexist with normal people.

I would never even think of playing gigs again because they pay even less than what a busker can make. It doesn't even pay a musician today to carry, load, drive, park, unload, set-up, play, break-down, debate with the bartender about pocket change, find your car if it hasn't been stolen, towed or ticketed, load if your gear hasn't been stolen, drive back home at 2:00 AM, unload, carry and return your gear to its place. You could have spent those precious hours with your wife and family rather face a divorce or have your children not able to recognise you.

Dreamers... Thinking they can make money with music. There are some big names out there who cannot even find chump-change work as a musician. Busking is desirable for those who can't put meat on their table to feed themselves, but it's not what a grown man does... especially if he drags his children into the act to suck more money from passers-by.

Dreamers... Like the many millennials canvassing older neighbourhoods knocking on doors trying to entice you into cutting your grass for a few bucks. Old people are mowing their own lawns. They even look forward to it. By the time they can't mow their own grass, they sell and move into long term care. Don't think that one can get rich by cutting grass. Same goes for music. People play their own or they listen to records.
    Last edited by StringNavigator; 05-29-2021 at 09:11 PM.

User Info Menu

So why bother me? I'm only against child exploitation by adult buskers.

LOL! You quoted me out of the blue, complaining. You should read before you write.
    Out of the blue? Take your advice and go back and read our previous replies.

You were ranting about rape pillage and murder running rampant in cities which is the only thing I took you to task for as being incorrect. Sorry I didn't address your nonsequitur about kids working the streets.

User Info Menu

Out of the blue? Take your advice and go back and read our previous replies. You were ranting about rape pillage and murder running rampant in cities which is the only thing I took you to task for as being incorrect. Sorry I didn't address your nonsequitur about kids working the streets.
    Children should not be working the streets. I said it wasn't safe.
    You didn't read my posts, did you?
    Now you're a flamer without a cause.
    Obviously, you have some vested interest in the busking game.
    I won't waste any more time with you.

User Info Menu

Staying in-line with the OP's intent...

Quote Originally Posted by smokinguit
    WHAT IS YOUR "OPINION" ON BUSKING?

I've been thinking about it not so much for the money but just to get out there and play with this band I've been asked to join. Their in it for the money. Is busking something any of you have considered, whether just for the money or just to advertise your skills. Is it a respectable venture? Or is it something only unemployed or underemployed musicians do?

I once listened to a radio show called "Talk Net" where some guy phoned in bragging about reconditioning his car on his own and was very pleased with himself because he did it all by himself in his spare time.

What irked the host, I guess, was when he crowed about how much money he saved because he did it by himself, saying that most people would have paid a garage to do the work, but that he was smarter than them.

Well, the host asked him how much he earned per hour on his job. Then he asked if his job offered overtime. Then he asked how many hours did he put into doing the repairs by himself. He asked him about weekends and vacation time spent under the car. The host calculated that the guy actually lost a bundle by doing his own work, as compared to those he was laughing at. Plus, the missed opportunity for family activities.

I was reminded of this by those who bragged about making "money and their chicks for free" from busking. People in North America become rich by betting a couple of hundred bucks on the stock market or by getting a proper education for a career in dentistry or doctoring or doing their marketing research and starting a business. The last thing one should do is entice children into busking. Teach children by example to be smart, savvy and industrious. Not to get money given to them by strangers passing by while they blow a whistle as they tap dance. Leave busking to the desperate. Do we need the genteel on the streets showing off for nickels?

A ham is a ham is a ham...
    Last edited by StringNavigator; 05-29-2021 at 09:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Those forced to hear that obnoxious racket on a regular basis get my sympathy. They suffer from lazy police. Perhaps one day he'll eventually make one go "postal" and someone will cap his career... So many buskers - so little talent. Any bum or ham, today, can hit the streets and torture your ears with pure rubbish because they don't like to work for a living. Too lazy to even learn a tune. A talent is a rare and marvelous thing, but noise makers should be picked up and dropped outside the town limits. Even a quiet beggar is better than a no-talent busker.
    `1. "Keytar Bear" (a talented keyboardist who ... wears a bear costume as a gimmick) has been savagely attacked, beaten and left for dead - twice!

2. Lack of talent isn't a crime.

3. Stereotype alert! We buskers DO come in all types (like everybody else). Some are, yeah, deficient in the talent category - but that does NOT equate with being a bum, too lazy to get a job etc.

4. Cops have your view, and one called my $9000 Selmer Mark VI tenor saxophone a "prop" (like a dog is to a homeless beggar).

5. I am a lawyer. I don't *need* (but I like) the money from busking. I busk for numerous reasons: paid practice, I don't bother my housemates (saxophones cannot be "shut up" like an electric guitar can be unplugged; they are kinda loud -- it's always an issue unless you have a soundproof room at home, etc.), pays better than many gigs, meet girls, get outside, socialize, educate the public to Jazz, etc. I freely give away my talent that I've worked very, very hard to perfect since before Woodstock (July, 1969, to be exact). I should be getting big bucks each time I pull out my horn, so the passerby are damn lucky, in my view. Not trying to boast, but still...

6. Fear not, even seasoned performers can have your view: a talented singer heard me play in the street on the way to her gig, which I attended. Afterwards, at her "meet and greet," she recognized me, said "wow, you sound amazing,!" and "so many street musicians are horrible."

7. Unless you play your ass off, go busk! It's hard to suck as a player when you busk for four (4) hours a day or so....

8. Now, as to the tuneless alto player at the bank:

A. Smart move. I love playing near banks (ATM = people have cash on hand, and you get $20 tips!);
    B.. The Bank of America where I lived next to in LA lets a homeless bum sleep on their property each night;
    C. When I was in music school (college conservatory), a fellow saxist played scales and exercises 15 hours a day - he was GREAT at this. Then, he took a lesson cross country with the great Phil Woods (Google). The first thing Phil said was: "play me a song." My friend DIDN'T KNOW ANY - yet he was a virtuoso as far as technique goes! Hard lesson to learn...
    D. The public (and Phil!) like SONGS - they don't give a rat's ass about improv (well, Phil does, he was one of the greatest; he played (sing it now...) the solo on Joel's "Just the Way You Are").
    E. I was busking a capella one day and a cop said "you have great ability, but it just sounds like scales to me (it wasn't, but it was improv). So, I use an amp with background when I improvise. Otherwise, I just stick to the melody, for the most part, when busking a capella.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smokinguit
    I've been thinking about it not so much for the money but just to get out there and play with this band I've been asked to join. Their in it for the money. Is busking something any of you have considered, whether just for the money or just to advertise your skills. Is it a respectable venture? Or is it something only unemployed or underemployed musicians do?

If you want to do it, just do it!

User Info Menu

Staying in-line with the OP's intent...

I once listened to a radio show called "Talk Net" where some guy phoned in bragging about reconditioning his car on his own and was very pleased with himself because he did it all by himself in his spare time.

What irked the host, I guess, was when he crowed about how much money he saved because he did it by himself, saying that most people would have paid a garage to do the work, but that he was smarter than them.

Well, the host asked him how much he earned per hour on his job. Then he asked if his job offered overtime. Then he asked how many hours did he put into doing the repairs by himself. He asked him about weekends and vacation time spent under the car. The host calculated that the guy actually lost a bundle by doing his own work, as compared to those he was laughing at. Plus, the missed opportunity for family activities.

I was reminded of this by those who bragged about making "money and their chicks for free" from busking. People in North America become rich by betting a couple of hundred bucks on the stock market or by getting a proper education for a career in dentistry or doctoring or doing their marketing research and starting a business. The last thing one should do is entice children into busking. Teach children by example to be smart, savvy and industrious. Not to get money given to them by strangers passing by while they blow a whistle as they tap dance. Leave busking to the desperate. Do we need the genteel on the streets showing off for nickels?

A ham is a ham is a ham...
    1. Being a musician is a terrible ROI unless you're a star. "What do you call a person who brings $50,000 worth of equipment to a job that pays $50"? --- a MUSICIAN.

2. You have a problem with a musician getting paid to do what they love? If you gig, do you think your "paid" gig is better than my busking gig? Well, in NYC, it's "you get the door." As a bandleader, you LOSE money if you don't fill the house. In LA, you ALWAYS lose money at the gig, as it's "pay to play." With busking, I ALWAYS make money. GOOD money; more than many gigs.

3. I'm a lawyer. I busk. I have a millionaire Wall Street investment banker friend who busks.

4. Now, going to "Jazz college" and paying $500,000 for a music degree at Berklee, etc. -- THAT'S stupid. My law degree cost half of that. So, busk. You'll learn just as much, and find out a LOT about yourself as a musician.

5. Some of us (i.e., me) have figured out how to "beat the system" and become GREAT players and still have a decent financial life. Busk 4 hours a day, every day, and your playing ability will skyrocket. You, too, can join us.....

User Info Menu

Lack of talent isn't a crime.
    It is if you 'av to 'ear it!

User Info Menu

To all my fellow musicians out there who cannot play a tune from start to finish...
    Invest in a harmonica!
    Better yet... Seek out an harmonicist an ask 'im 'ow to do it.....

To all you buskers, bustlers and hustlers out there annoying our urban denizens and giving our once illustrious trade a bad name, please realise this...
    All the scales, modes, arpeggios, chords and tetrachords are used in the making of music;
    but, they are not the music to be making!

Scales are rote notes - Music is smart. You can't easily define music, but you know what music is when you hear it.

We need the Music Police:
    a brigade of the rough and the tough to keep these unconscious folk in their sheds and basements until they are musically mature enough to compose and perform music in public.
    Music - not wavering tone groups.

Expert?
    10,000 hours they say... Not 10,000 dollars!
    Busking with a 10 grand axe is like burning your roof to stay warm on a cold night.

Improvisation from a master like Johann, Amadeus, Miles or Joe is marvelous to behold.
    But Improvisation is often misused as the consolation for the musically inept.
    A crutch and excuse for bad notes. A Clam Fest...

The Walking Dead Buskers... The Hounds of the Buskerville. Coming to a city near you...
    (Never move to a burg with a Musical College. They begin to stalk your streets with horns in hand to enlighten you on the finer points of the 14 Tone Mixedupdiddlie Scale played over Ab Diminished Ad Nauseum Mode.) Then they give you the stink-eye with bodkins if you don't go all googley-eyed and hand over a Lincoln.
    Last edited by StringNavigator; 05-30-2021 at 12:18 PM.