The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 254

User Info Menu

I don't know who your friend Henry Threadgil is. So, in the interest of not being disrespectful to him or to you . . I'll just say that his statement as quoted above is just plain stupid.

Busking is nothing more than an artist attempting to sell his or her works. It's a different method then having a contract to work for a predetermined amount of money. But, it's an artist or artists attempting to sell their works. There's nothing even remotely similar to begging about it. Their "working" for their money. They're just leaving it up to the audience as to whether or not their "work" is worth paying for.

It really pisses me off to hear these sanctimonious comments and beliefs from those who would like to dictate onto others, a behavior or professional conduct they believe in.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Used to enjoy the buskers in St Augustine. Merchants started complaining and, for a short while, put an end to it. I still can't understand why they would complain. It drew some nice crowds. Buskers attracted Now it is allowed in the "old village" section but not on the main streets. Frankly, there are some buskers out there putting out a better product than what I am hearing on the radio these days.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    I don't know who your friend Henry Threadgil is. So, in the interest of not being disrespectful to him or to you . . I'll just say that his statement as quoted above is just plain stupid.

Busking is nothing more than an artist attempting to sell his or her works. It's a different method then having a contract to work for a predetermined amount of money. But, it's an artist or artists attempting to sell their works. There's nothing even remotely similar to begging about it. Their "working" for their money. They're just leaving it up to the audience as to whether or not their "work" is worth paying for.

It really pisses me off to hear these sanctimonious comments and beliefs from those who would like to dictate onto others, a behavior or professional conduct they believe in.
    Henry is one of the most important living figures in our music. Associated with the Art Ensemble of Chicago. Henry Threadgill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regardless, while I don't necessarily agree with the quote, I do see both perspectives. In one hand, yes, you are working for your money by performing. However, it depends on what you think of your own art. Is it something you want to make into a novelty item that you probably won't enjoy doing? Henry probably thinks the opposite of that. His music is not accessible to a busking audience. However, the respect towards his music doesn't get corrupted, and he writes what he enjoys.
    I live in NYC, and every time I take the subway, I see some busker doing some really bad act. It's very few times, maybe once a month, I see a group that I stop for a few minutes before walking away.

Again, I would do it, if I were to enjoy my company of musicians, or if it paid well.

User Info Menu

Threadgill is an amazing musician. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Due to professional stature and ability and what he or she has contributed to an art as an artist, some may be more entitled to their opinions than others.
    Last edited by henryrobinett; 09-18-2014 at 09:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Though I've never busked, myself, I really enjoy the atmosphere created by buskers. They can help to bring a city alive in the nighttime.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jtizzle
    Henry is one of the most important living figures in our music. Associated with the Art Ensemble of Chicago. Henry Threadgill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regardless, while I don't necessarily agree with the quote, I do see both perspectives. In one hand, yes, you are working for your money by performing. However, it depends on what you think of your own art. Is it something you want to make into a novelty item that you probably won't enjoy doing? Henry probably thinks the opposite of that. His music is not accessible to a busking audience. However, the respect towards his music doesn't get corrupted, and he writes what he enjoys.
    I live in NYC, and every time I take the subway, I see some busker doing some really bad act. It's very few times, maybe once a month, I see a group that I stop for a few minutes before walking away.

Again, I would do it, if I were to enjoy my company of musicians, or if it paid well.
    Well, Henry may be a musical God . . both in his own mind and in the mind of others. But, he needs to take himself back to when and where he was a nothing and a nobody. . . . before he casts such aspersions on those below him, who might be struggling to get recognized . . and struggling to make enough money to buy a bag of rice for dinner. Or, even struggling to have their works heard by others. Some musicians just want their playing to be heard by others and can't secure a venue to be heard. Others are hoping a producer will walk by and hear them.

I remember seeing Stanley Jordan on a street corner in Manhattan with a guitar, a battery Pig Nose . . and an opened attache case for donations. He wasn't begging. He was cooking!! I was standing no more than 10 feet away from him . . just blown away by what he was doing. I dropped money in his attache case without hesitation. Guess what. He ain't buskin' no more!!!!

Sorry, but I do not see both perspectives. Henry's comment was totally out of line.

User Info Menu

I don't see how you are taking the little comment paraphrased so seriously. Or am I miss big something else? Where he said it was like begging? I don't necessarily agree but I can certainly see his point. Sitting on a street corner playing with a hat for people to give you money. I can see his point. Actually that's why I'd never do it. But I have seen some amazing musicians busking. Mostly I have seen some very mediocre ones though.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I've only done it a couple of times, but I think it's a great way to learn to connect with an audience, and it can be a lot of fun.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    I don't see how you are taking the little comment paraphrased so seriously. Or am I miss big something else? Where he said it was like begging? I don't necessarily agree but I can certainly see his point. Sitting on a street corner playing with a hat for people to give you money. I can see his point. Actually that's why I'd never do it. But I have seen some amazing musicians busking. Mostly I have seen some very mediocre ones though.
    Henry . . once again, your failure to attach your reply to a specific comment makes it impossible to know which post you are replying to. If it's to the OP . . then, I'll not clarify my possition onthe matter. However, if yours is a reply to my post . . please let me know and I'll be happy to give you my thoughts on why I take it so seriously.

But honestly . . just hitting the "Reply With Quote" button before you enter your text, is equally as easy as typing your text into a "Quick Reply" box.

User Info Menu

Never done it but I'm all for it. Seems like it can be fun and it's good experience.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    LOL

I have never done it, but wouldn't dismiss the idea in the right circumstances.

User Info Menu

Just do it man. I have never done it but it is on my list once I have a solo repertoire. Personally I love a good busker. Some of my most memorable travelling moments buskers in Florence and New York. Here in Melbourne there is some talent that play in the little cafe lanes, the icing on the cake for a nice sunny lunch.

User Info Menu

"I don't care who you are, if you're out on the street busking, you might as well just be begging for money".

Equating other musicians with beggars because they're below his pay grade is demeaning and insulting. I know folks who busk to eat and work hard for what they get. He may be a respected musician, but he lost something along the way.

User Info Menu

Henry . . once again, your failure to attach your reply to a specific comment makes it impossible to know which post you are replying to. If it's to the OP . . then, I'll not clarify my possition onthe matter. However, if yours is a reply to my post . . please let me know and I'll be happy to give you my thoughts on why I take it so seriously.

But honestly . . just hitting the "Reply With Quote" button before you enter your text, is equally as easy as typing your text into a "Quick Reply" box.
    I don't need to follow your rules on forum posting etiquette. 99% of the time if I don't quote it's because I'm referencing the lost directly above OR it's not specifically about a post but the subject in general. In thus case u was referencing your post DIRECTLY above the post in question. If that's too hard to understand just ignore my posts. But I'm not going to quote every frigging thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    I don't need to follow your rules on forum posting etiquette. 99% of the time if I don't quote it's because I'm referencing the lost directly above OR it's not specifically about a post but the subject in general. In thus case u was referencing your post DIRECTLY above the post in question. If that's too hard to understand just ignore my posts. But I'm not going to quote every frigging thing.
    Rule?? When did I ever reference my comment or suggestion to you as a rule? It was a polite suggestion, nothing more nothing less. Your post immediately followed mine . . and it started with the sentence . . "I don't see how you are taking the little commnet paraphrased so seriously"

How do I know for sure whether or not you're reply to me? It's not a rule that I was referencing. Just a suggestion of identifying who you're replying to. That seems to be lost on you. Maybe I should have just continued to wonder just who the heck you replied to? It's not a rule, man. It's just a matter of common sense and courtesy. Get over yourself man.

This is my last dust up with you. I'm done with being tolerant of your snideness. Have a nice life.
    Last edited by Patrick2; 09-23-2014 at 10:06 AM.

User Info Menu

Have a nice life.
    Damn Patrick, is it so bad? Why do people on the internet fight over such nonsense. I get that you don't agree with Henry, but let's try not to fight. I'm pretty sure you responded the way you did because of henry's use of the word "friggin". You took it as him being pissed off at you. If I were you I would not responded the way you did. I would've asked him to clarify his use of the word "friggin", not add fuel to the fire.

Anyway, the issue is so silly that I am not going to waste anymore of my time on it.
    Last edited by smokinguit; 09-23-2014 at 02:50 PM.

User Info Menu

I know he was a bit sensitive, dogmatic, and combative, but no wonder Jack Zucker is not around here anymore. The tone can become a bit personal, which is never a good thing, even here in internet land.
    Last edited by smokinguit; 09-23-2014 at 02:35 PM.

User Info Menu

smokinguit; Let's just say there's a bit of a history you're unaware of. But, that notwithstanding . . you say "I know he was a bit sensitive, dogmatic and combative . . . " yet, you consider my response telling him that I'm done with him to be harsh? Hmmm . . . I don't get that.?.? Did you not see the comment "I don't need to follow your rules on forum posting etiquette" . . as being worthy of a response from me? Did you even see the post I posted the reply to? I perceived that comment . . actually, it's more of a remark than it is a comment . . . as being unnecessarily snide. Further, what's harsh about "have a nice life"? It's simply an old addage telling someone you're done putting up with them.

User Info Menu

smokinguit; Let's just say there's a bit of a history you're unaware of. But, that notwithstanding . . you say "I know he was a bit sensitive, dogmatic and combative . . . " yet, you consider my response telling him that I'm done with him to be harsh?
    You misread the above quote. It's about Jack Zucker, not Henry. Come to think of it after rereading you and Henry's post, I find that both could've been worded in a nicer way.
    Last edited by smokinguit; 09-23-2014 at 04:53 PM.

User Info Menu

I would like to know how Patrick contributes to the forum other than picking up fights and finding trivial quotes from the internet. Well, not an important matter. In martial arts we always bow to each other, maybe that should be made possible here for increased respect and awareness of each other's beings.

Busking is music, music is good. Sometimes even Bach doesn't survive on the street, so handle with care. I think one should put an honour in trying to raise the bar of what gets played out there. Some of it is really good. Mostly just rather pleasant, nothing special, and rarely really terrible ☺ I work out, music can't get much worse than there ��

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yaclaus
    I would like to know how Patrick contributes to the forum other than picking up fights and finding trivial quotes from the internet. Well, not an important matter. In martial arts we always bow to each other, maybe that should be made possible here for increased respect and awareness of each other's beings.

Busking is music, music is good. Sometimes even Bach doesn't survive on the street, so handle with care. I think one should put an honour in trying to raise the bar of what gets played out there. Some of it is really good. Mostly just rather pleasant, nothing special, and rarely really terrible ☺ I work out, music can't get much worse than there ��
    And what exactly are your contributions to this forum? Or, should I be afraid to ask now that you mentioned you're in martial arts.

So they taught you how to bow before an opponent. Great. Now maybe you should learn how to mind your own business, grasshopper.

User Info Menu

If an artist is selling paintings on the street, is that like busking?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by smokinguit
    Damn Patrick, is it so bad? Why do people on the internet fight over such nonsense. I get that you don't agree with Henry, but let's try not to fight. I'm pretty sure you responded the way you did because of henry's use of the word "friggin". You took it as him being pissed off at you. If I were you I would not responded the way you did. I would've asked him to clarify his use of the word "friggin", not add fuel to the fire.

Anyway, the issue is so silly that I am not going to waste anymore of my time on it.
    If I misread the quote, it was only because it was worded ambiguously. I see that you have since edited and reworded it. But, apologies none the less. No, use of the word friggin' really didn't piss me off. It was the snide reference that I was trying to dictate rules to Henry that I took issue with . . . and I thought my wording in the post where I asked for clarification was not anything that Henry sould have taken issue with. But, as I said, there's a bit of a history there and it's not worth any further interaction of Henry and I posting or replying to each other. That's why I use the saying have a nice life. It wasn't meant as an insult to Henry.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    If an artist is selling paintings on the street, is that like busking?
    In my opinion, no it's not. Because the artist selling paintings would be referencing a selling price for you to take it home with you, even though you could look at it there on the street for free. A busking musician is playing music with no expectation of payment, hoping that the listening audience will offer a money . . the amount being at their discretion, as a token of appreciation for their performance. I think that's why some (IMO incorrectly) see it as begging.