The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 40

User Info Menu

Ok folks, what would you have done with this? I'm doing a duo gig with a singer on a yacht. We were hired to do Great American Songbook/Sinatra. As we are into our last set, an obviously inebriated woman yells out "now let's hear some rock and roll!" Me and the singer just looked at each other and simply went on with our set. So I'm wondering how many times you get requests for Rock music when what you are obviously playing is Jazz. There was no way I could have pulled it off with my Archtop strung up with TI flat wounds.
    Last edited by Larry Feldman; 06-27-2014 at 12:29 AM. Reason: typo

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

LOL! That's funny! It has happened to my band many times, although in less profile gigs. You are trying hard to put some thoughtful songs, soloing and stuuf, and then someone comes with "play Stand by meeeee...!!!" or the "how about some Johnny Cash???" (actually, this one happened many times). Most of the times, we look at each other (trio) and do a quick vamp of the song, they start clapping and then we say, "we'll have it ready next time, come back then" ...which never happens. But, I'm with you I hate these interrumptions. btw, with ur archtop & flats, you could have played Elvis' Heartbreak Hotel

User Info Menu

Rock on a Yacht....how very expected.

You could do something like this

User Info Menu

should have launched into johnny b goode

I like the play a few bars and say we'll have it ready for next time. That's great. And Johnny B Goode, guess any Chuck Berry might work with an archtop.
    Last edited by Larry Feldman; 06-27-2014 at 01:14 AM. Reason: change

I would do a blues .And give it one !

User Info Menu

"Blue Suede Shoes". Or even better, "Route 66". Always works.

Then you say "Now, where were we?", make a big joke of it, and get back to the set.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Feldman
    Ok folks, what would you have done with this? I'm doing a duo gig with a singer on a yacht. We were hired to do Great American Songbook/Sinatra. As we are into our last set, an obviously inebriated woman yells out "now let's hear some rock and roll!" Me and the singer just looked at each other and simply went on with our set. So I'm wondering how many times you get requests for Rock music when what you are obviously playing is Jazz. There was no way I could have pulled it off with my Archtop strung up with TI flat wounds.
    I feel your pain, man! One of my "worst gigs ever" was similar: my quartet (that mostly played "modern" stuff, but would do Standards, too, of course) was hired for a corporate gig for a "Hollywood night" event -- so they wanted "classy, quiet, background music" to go along with several other things (games, comedians, etc.) in a large room. It was made clear we were playing jazz, and we weren't a "dance" band (I told them if they wanted a dance band, I could refer them to one, but they said, "No."). Well, after a bit of drinking, most of the attendees were hanging out near the music space, and started getting rowdy, and then started shouting for rock and dance tunes (very classy!). The coordinator came over, nervous, and said, "Guys, play some dance music -- rock it up a bit!" After some more clarification (since we really didn't have a rock repertoire!), we made it an inside joke, and played all of our standards with a "funk/rock" beat -- "OK, 'BLue Bossa,' funk style! Now 'All the things,' funk style!" etc. We made it through the night, and the drunk people danced to our beat.

Charlie Hunter always amazes me. Nice choice. And Marc, nice to hear from you. Funk it up a bit is a good idea.
    And Mangotango I'm going to keep your idea in my back pocket.

User Info Menu

"Dock of the Bay" is the first thing that came to my mind. Simple song but good, most everybody likes to sing along, and some feel it's the same sort of song. (That is, one they knew the words to, like to sing, and regard as a classic.)

Someone above selected "Heartbreak Hotel"---many rockabilly songs work on an archtop, and even people who are there for the jazz wouldn't mind a bit of something they could shake a leg to. Split the difference with Brian Setzer's version of Louis Prima's "Jump, Jive & Wail"!

I'm from South Florida, so if I were playing on a boat, I would expect someone to want to hear some Jimmy Buffet.

That said, when people bellow suggestions that are not what you're there to offer, it stinks. No excuse for such bad manners. But if you have one or two emergency things prepared, you've got "some rock'n' roll" or whatever covered, after which you can say to anyone else who bellows out some such thing, "We already did that." Sometimes the best defense is a good offense!

User Info Menu

You really don't know any rock songs that you could play? I do all mine in a jazz style, and no one cares how you play it as long as they recognize the melody or lyrics.

It's fun and good practice to reharmonize pop tunes.

User Info Menu

Moondance is an easy out in this situation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mangotango
    "Blue Suede Shoes". Or even better, "Route 66". Always works.

Then you say "Now, where were we?", make a big joke of it, and get back to the set.
    "Route 66" is a great idea! I play that tune but hadn't thought of it as rock tune, but yeah, that is one that suits all tastes. "Sunny" is another one of those.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    "Dock of the Bay" is the first thing that came to my mind. Simple song but good, most everybody likes to sing along, and some feel it's the same sort of song. (That is, one they knew the words to, like to sing, and regard as a classic.)

Someone above selected "Heartbreak Hotel"---many rockabilly songs work on an archtop, and even people who are there for the jazz wouldn't mind a bit of something they could shake a leg to. Split the difference with Brian Setzer's version of Louis Prima's "Jump, Jive & Wail"!

I'm from South Florida, so if I were playing on a boat, I would expect someone to want to hear some Jimmy Buffet.

That said, when people bellow suggestions that are not what you're there to offer, it stinks. No excuse for such bad manners. But if you have one or two emergency things prepared, you've got "some rock'n' roll" or whatever covered, after which you can say to anyone else who bellows out some such thing, "We already did that." Sometimes the best defense is a good offense!
    I know this maybe cheesy to some, but I've been practicing strange medleys

Dock of the Bay with A Foggy Day (both in F)

Why not Yesterday with Yesterdays?

Even thse he's rock tunes are 45-50 years old!

So many great suggestions. Working with this particular singer that night, I found out the hard way that she wasn't prepared for someone requesting rock and roll.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Moondance is an easy out in this situation.
    No. No. No. I can't stand that song...

An audience member (who was rather sh*tfaced IIRC) once asked me if my band could play a Judas Priest song he knew - he was rather insistent that we probably knew it, since according to him it was a 'ballad'.
    Last edited by 3625; 06-28-2014 at 01:37 AM.

Judas Priest? Lol

User Info Menu

I'm re-harmonizing 'Limelight' by Rush

I'd like to hear that.

User Info Menu

On the other side doing casuals bored to death we'd start playing Giant Steps and other Jazz tunes as a Bossa Nova's so have something cool to solo on, audience happy they have music to drink to. When at GIT Sid Jacobs a great musician would play Sunday brunches at a hotel. He'd play some really out stuff and as long as it was soft and easy beat. Ya start realizing the audience only want to hear a certain beat or enough of a melody so their subconscious can finish it off.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    When at GIT Sid Jacobs a great musician would play Sunday brunches at a hotel. He'd play some really out stuff and as long as it was soft and easy beat. Ya start realizing the audience only want to hear a certain beat or enough of a melody so their subconscious can finish it off.
    I admire Sid's work. Interesting guy. Great player.

User Info Menu

My suggestion... always expect the unexpected with requests.

Regarding rock 'n' roll... keep it simple with a good backbeat... Twist and Shout, What I'd Say, or a good boogie woogie tune always works as well.

They are easy to learn and please most crowds regardless of age or degree of inebriation.

I hope that helps.

KennyH

User Info Menu

Two classics:

User Info Menu

Play some basic 12 bar blues.

Take a tune like "Move It On Over". Many folks will think of it as a rockin' blues tune, due to George Thorogood's rendition. Those who know better will appreciate as a Hank Williams tune - so you've got the country fans there. It's a blues, so you can make it what you like, as a jazz musician.