The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 38 of 38

User Info Menu

In the San Diego paper yesterday. Do you see anything unusual?

How to approach money?-earnings-2-jpgHow to approach money?-earnings-1-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Other than the fact that the leader of a cover band is making $750,000. No.

User Info Menu

Also, I didn't know the Macho Man Randy Savage even had a cover band.

User Info Menu

Pay should be commensurate with the quality of music you are able to provide, right? Does the music draw in customers or have them running for the door

I'm not sure "never play for free" is a good idea to tell someone starting out. Being able to play in front of a live audience is an important skill...if you say "I never play for free" you might never develop this skill...

I wasn't a music major, but I played in the Big Band every year which was by audition and for credit. We played all over the state, did radio shows, Sunday brunches etc. The band was pretty tight for the most part, it was a ton of fun as well as an invaluable learning experience...that I guess I paid for!

When I used to play out solo, I did art galleries, wine bars and weddings, stuff like that. Sometimes a free gig would lead to one that got paid $100/hr. You never know...

These days, I really prefer playing for my own amusement/development or for other musicians than to try to make any money out of it...

User Info Menu

The first thing that popped out to me was 429k for the director of the San Diego symphony. I had no idea.

Then there was the head of a cover band making 750k---was that a misprint?

Scratch that---I checked out their video promo. Quite a high-tech production. Who knew?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Painter
    Pay should be commensurate with the quality of music you are able to provide, right? Does the music draw in customers or have them running for the door

I'm not sure "never play for free" is a good idea to tell someone starting out. Being able to play in front of a live audience is an important skill...if you say "I never play for free" you might never develop this skill...

I wasn't a music major, but I played in the Big Band every year which was by audition and for credit. We played all over the state, did radio shows, Sunday brunches etc. The band was pretty tight for the most part, it was a ton of fun as well as an invaluable learning experience...that I guess I paid for!

When I used to play out solo, I did art galleries, wine bars and weddings, stuff like that. Sometimes a free gig would lead to one that got paid $100/hr. You never know...

These days, I really prefer playing for my own amusement/development or for other musicians than to try to make any money out of it...
    Generally, playing for free is bad mojo, but I know a very famous Blues artist (who's sideman I worked with occasionally) who's name I'd rather not post, who decided to work at a venue near the NAMM show in Anaheim early in his career for NAMM week for free. I won't go into exact detail what that performance netted him, but he was very wise to do that and history shows it was the right thing to do. Sometimes free works. Not very bloody often, though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFour00
    Generally, playing for free is bad mojo...
    "Bad mojo?" In what way? What does that even mean?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    "Bad mojo?" In what way? What does that even mean?
    Clearly you don't speak Blues. Here's a dictionary definition
    Full Definition of MOJO

: a magic spell, hex, or charm; broadly : magical power

So I mean a negative action that could have metaphysical implications, such as bad luck.

User Info Menu

"Mojo" is used in a blanket fashion for a bunch o' stuff in music, like damage to an instrument somehow giving it "mojo." Goofy use of a goofy term.

User Info Menu

How does just one member of a cover band pull down $750K? Is that for real? Well, let's see... if they work 5 nights a week for 48 weeks of the year, he would be earning, $3125/night. Assuming he's the leader/manager, etc., lets say he gets as much as 1/3 of all the pay, which would mean the band charges almost $10K/night and gets it 5 nights a week, 48 weeks of the year. Does that sound possible? I could see that kind of money for a big wedding, but those don't happen 5 nights of the week all year long...

(Oh, and to answer the original poster's question, "How to approach money?", I'll paraphrase Jimmy Bruno when he was asked what was his approach to soloing. He said "You get very quiet, and you just kind of sneak up on it from behind."
    Last edited by jasaco; 09-07-2014 at 10:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    "Mojo" is used in a blanket fashion for a bunch o' stuff in music, like damage to an instrument somehow giving it "mojo." Goofy use of a goofy term.
    That's good Mojo. Good Mojo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasaco
    How does just one member of a cover band pull down $750K? Is that for real? Well, let's see...
    He's the manager and marketing genius behind the best cover band in the world. Gotta respect a good businessman...

User Info Menu

They're just about perfect, so flat and uninspiring, almost like a Barbie doll, sound wise, of course. Whoever hire them, can not go wrong.