The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rwmol
    That's not my problem. My problem is finding anyone who plays jazz. My area of the state is "jazzless".
    I am fortunate enough to play in a big band and that keeps me sane other than that I live in the land of 3 chords and a capo. I can find no guitar players that want to even try to progress beyond that.

There was a small monthly Real Book jam about 25 miles away but it degenerated when a couple of sax players would show up and blow their brains out to see how fast, loud, and how many notes they could play. (not all sax players are like that) Their timing was off and blamed the rhythm section. Being a big band player I take pride in my timing. I stopped going, it fizzled out a short time later.

I tried to start a Real Book jam in my community but there was no interest.

I'm in upstate New York..

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I live in Harris County, TX, with a population larger than 26 states. I have been unable to find anyone to play with. I don't play rock, and won't try to learn it, so that does limit the possibilities. I found a "blues" jam that is actually sort of blues oriented rock, with a volume I'm unwilling to tolerate, but that's it so far, after a few years of looking. Back in the early 90s I did find a group an hour or so away, and enjoyed that, but work kept me away, and the group was mostly in their 70s or older, and AFAIK no longer exists. There just seems to be no interest in jazz, swing, or anything other than rock and rap/hiphop, and I won't do that. I might be interested in something online, but I've never tried it, and don't know where to start. So I play with myself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I live in Harris County, TX, with a population larger than 26 states. I have been unable to find anyone to play with. ... There just seems to be no interest in jazz, swing, or anything other than rock and rap/hiphop ...
    That's pretty bleak. Is there a local paper you can put a classified ad in to offer advanced jazz lessons that more technical rockers might be interested in? That might be a source of players you could show how satisfying and rewarding playing jazz is. The online stuff seems to depend on heavy-duty connections and powerful machines, and it's really a pale substitute for being in a room with even just a bass- or pianoplayer. I always ask the salesmen in musicshops to give any jazz players that come in my e-mail address. That's brought several players so far - although they ultimately declined for unrelated, silly reasons. Anyway, good luck. It's frustrating to always be by yourself.

User Info Menu

Yes, Houston has a newspaper. One. There are some alt newspapers I think, but not readily available. I haven't really thought about putting a personal ad in the paper, though, because newspapers are becoming obsolete. I don't say that's good, just that it is. I've been checking Craig's List for some time, with no result. I'm not in a position to start giving advanced jazz lessons, I could use lessons myself, but the only teachers I've found don't do jazz. Maybe there are some, but they are well hidden.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Yes, Houston has a newspaper. One. There are some alt newspapers I think, but not readily available. I haven't really thought about putting a personal ad in the paper, though, because newspapers are becoming obsolete. I don't say that's good, just that it is. I've been checking Craig's List for some time, with no result. I'm not in a position to start giving advanced jazz lessons, I could use lessons myself, but the only teachers I've found don't do jazz. Maybe there are some, but they are well hidden.
    I'm in Houston... Jazz folks have found and contacted me through Musicians Wanted - Search Local Musician Classifieds : BandMix.com
    Join, or write your phone number into the description of musical influences/preferences.

User Info Menu

Never heard of that site, but I'll give it a look. Thanks.

User Info Menu

I live in a rural area near a small midwest town. There is absolutely no jazz scene here. I trained as a jazz player when I lived in Arizona, but luckily I enjoy other kinds of music too. My current band plays 50' , 60's, and 70's music and I love it. My previous band played Bluegrass and Americana music, and I loved that too. I also play at church twice a month, but of course all play dates are on hold with the current virus situation. My circle of music friends will sometimes ask me to play a jazz tune, but it's more of a novelty than a genuine interest. I play guitar, bass, and mandolin, so I do have options, just none in jazz.

Thump on,

One_Dude