The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The focus here is on playing live---on being a working jazz musician--and it is assumed that those who have no such experience came here to learn from those who have a lot. This is not a “pro's only” section. Everyone is welcome here. That means pros, aspiring pros, and guitar players who just want to hear some gig stories and learn the lingo.

1. Everyone here, and elsewhere, deserves and will be shown basic human respect.
    2. No one here need prove he or she is a pro. No one may publicly say someone else is not a real pro. (If you know someone here is just a BS-artist, report that privately and the matter will be dealt with in a hurry.)
    3. Just because someone else is a jerk doesn't mean you should be one too. This isn't the O.K. Corral and there will no be “calling out” of one another. (If you don't know how to 'report a post,' ask.)
    4. This is NOT the Showcase forum. Please keep in mind that this is an area for discussion, not promotion. (A short clip to demonstrate a point is fine.)
    5. Pros tend to welcome questions from non-pros, but they don't want to argue with someone who has never played with a good band in a real jazz club about how important it is to know many tunes and be able to play them in several keys. Or whether the ability to read music really matters.
    6. But don't think you have to do a month of research before asking a question such as, “How—and how long—do you warm up for a gig?” or “Should I carry my Real Book to a jam session?”
    7. If you don't know what a term means, ask.

(These guidelines are subject to revision, so please check back from time to time. )

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Good! I'm looking forward to participating. I'm just flying back to Cali from a gig in Nashville. My mind is probably going to be jelly all day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    Good! I'm looking forward to participating. I'm just flying back to Cali from a gig in Nashville. My mind is probably going to be jelly all day.
    Nashville? That's where I went to high school back in the '70s. They had guitar classes. I went to ten public schools in twelve years and Nashville was the only place where they had guitar teachers and guitar classes! Hope the gig went well.

User Info Menu

Question: does "working musician" mean only paying gigs?

User Info Menu

Personally the $ is only part of the discussion, I trade time with other musicians, composers etc...I have a lot of respect for pros, working musicians or any of the above, I also tend to have higher levels or standards of musicianship which should also define a pro. Are We talking about professional jazz players... Or is this open to any style.

Ok... Working jazz musician, the $ is barely a working living wage. I'm in the studio this Sat and Sun, I'll post a few pics of the charts etc... it will be a sight reading gig.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    I think the expectation is that those with the most experience in this area will have the most knowledge to pass along to others, but no one here is asking to see pay stubs.

User Info Menu

OK. Just checking. But in that case you might want to reconsider using the term "working musican". Maybe "gigging musician" is more appropriate. Just a suggestion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Maybe we could submit our 1099 along with that video of us playing.
    A 1099?? My dear jazz guitar friend Mr. Beaumont. Are you implying that you are diligently reporting all of your cash dollar paid gig remunerations to our dear uncle in Washington?? Hopefully, you are skillful enough to make sure that your expenses associated with working as an entertainer by far out pace your earnings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    The modern musician has of necessity expanded the term of gig. But I think paid must be some portion of the definition. Paid can be barter of course. But teaching, gigging, clinics, studio all come into play, at least from my thinking.

I know very few musicians who only do playing gigs.