The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

My friends who are professional guitarists use Facebook to maintain a huge list of contacts who are notified of every gig, which can only help with turnout. The best advertising is a friend's recommendation, such as a Facebook share of a FB event.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A recurring theme is that 'people don't like jazz.' I think this is untrue. I think people like it, at least where I am based.

I think one problem is that jazz is seen as a self indulgent musicians music, which can in fact be the case. Enjoying jazz as an outlet for self expression is fantastic, but to work in the entertainment industry ultimately other factors come into play - entertainment values, presentation, having a slick show and so on - yes even in jazz. Your aim is not just to win over fellow musicians and jazz fans, but actual normal people in the real world.

I'm also reminded of what Hal Galper said when he said that many musicians approach the bandstand with a practicing mindset. I can't comment on other scenes elsewhere, but this often the case with less experienced musicians who are often technically and conceptually far in advance of some of the players who are out there every night. They don't bring any sort of vibe and seem determined to play what they practice regardless of what is right for the room.

Common mistakes (off the top of my head)
    1) Long gaps between tunes
    2) No verbal interaction with audiences
    3) Closed off body language - reading charts, not looking up etc (I can be very guilty of this)
    4) Every player plays loooong (3+ choruses) solos on every tune.
    5) Dress is inappropriate for style of music/venue.
    6) Grooves constantly disrupted by rhythm section trying to be 'interactive' or 'creative' all the time, rather than just letting it flow.
    7) Band leader/group not shaping music
    8) Little contrast between numbers (tempo and feel are key here)
    9) Looong tunes (a side product of 4) of course)
    10) Music under-rehearsed (a massive problem as everyone's so busy!)

Notice I made no mention of repetoire. While a few standards might engage the audience (if they know them!) I think an originals set might go down great if it's played with commitment by musicians who really know the tunes and is presented with conviction.

I also think groove and rhythm is key - I've seen room full of people dancing to fusion grooves in 5 just because the band were so awesome. It does happen. Add a bit of friendly audience interaction, appropriate outfits and some tight arrangements and the audience will see that the music is for them, not just you.

There is obviously a conflict between freedom to improvise and creating a (yes!) marketable show, but I actually think this is a stimulating relationship. Think of Dizzy for instance....

You don't need to sell out as a player, although if true musical freedom is your goal you should probably consider a day job. Commercial music is what professionals deal with - including jazz!
    Last edited by christianm77; 04-15-2014 at 02:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Like Jay I am an amateur musician and a professional physician--many days I wish it were the other way around, but I know which pays better (and which I'm better at)...So take what I say with a big grain of salt...

I and several other docs have a regular gig at a local Omaha restaurant. We get paid in...food and drink. Plus some publicity. We also play a lot of charity events, fundraisers, doc dinners, etc. I think that having a singer as the frontman helps a lot--when someone knows your singer is going to do standards in the style of Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, etc., they know if it will be popular with their clientele. Let's face it--the dinner crowd in Omaha at least is older, well-off, and appreciates Fly Me To the Moon more than Giant Steps. We can throw in anything we want as long as the majority of the set is standards. We also dress the part--nice pants, shoes, ties, which I think makes a difference.

Just another thought--I have an old friend who is a busy, busy guitarist in Minneapolis--he plays all kinds of music with all kinds of people. He used to play with a country outfit, but now is with a progressive bluegrass/jazz group called The Galactic Cowboy Orchestra. He has the chops of course, but I'm sure he would say the key is to be flexible and network and play with all kinds of groups. If you're interested you could contact him on Facebook--I'm sure he would be glad to give you some advice and moral support.

User Info Menu

Like Jay I am an amateur musician and a professional physician--many days I wish it were the other way around, but I know which pays better (and which I'm better at)...So take what I say with a big grain of salt...
    it's probably good that you're not an amateur physician

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Space Pickle
    it's probably good that you're not an amateur physician
    Also, I've noticed that you don't see many hobbyist Surgeons nowadays, they just can't get the gigs, not like their heydays in the 1800's, when they could saw your legs off for a sixpence, yes, them good old days are long gone.

User Info Menu

I concur with christianm77's list of pointers and also Dr. Jeff's point about vocals. We have a new jazz club that has just opened in Philly (imagine that!) but they will ONLY book groups that include a vocalist. They know their audience (or at least the audience they want to attract) and they insist on the vocalist or you don't get the gig.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Just another thought--I have an old friend who is a busy, busy guitarist in Minneapolis--he plays all kinds of music with all kinds of people. He used to play with a country outfit, but now is with a progressive bluegrass/jazz group called The Galactic Cowboy Orchestra. He has the chops of course, but I'm sure he would say the key is to be flexible and network and play with all kinds of groups. If you're interested you could contact him on Facebook--I'm sure he would be glad to give you some advice and moral support.
    We did a festival gig a couple of years ago where GCO was up after us. They were a lot of fun. Dan's a good player. And he's a good example of a guy who can fit in a lot of situations. Robert Bell is another local guitarist in the Twin Cities who does this and gigs a lot.

The luxury of being a hobbyist is that you can almost always just play the music you want to play, but if your tastes are broad that is a good thing.

User Info Menu

Christianm77 points are right on.

The gigging clmate has definitely changed. Almost all of our gigs are thru word of mouth contacts. Mostly private gigs with an ocassional club gig. Not many clubs will accomodate a quintet. 90% of our gigs we have a vocalist. We keep our manners in and we talk to the crowd and that seems to be a good formula. At club gigs we promote heavily ourselves and we bring in people.

Clubs in general dont seem as willing to pay as they used to. A couple of them do but they expect professional performance and attire. But the rotation can be long. As much as 2 months so not very lucrative. Its the private gigs that do better.