Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

^^^

As for comping, it's easy.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    From what I've read here, I'd only hire a couple of you for a real gig.
    Christ, why does it have to "go there."

I don't appreciate your validation/rejection CG, really offensive and not useful.

Why not just state your personal dos and don'ts of a jam session, and actually provide something useful to the discussion, instead of just chiming in with this elitist BS?

User Info Menu

I really do sometimes hate jam sessions, and love them. There's a lot to be worried about. A necessary evil. But then it's fun. Will I know the tunes called without having to resort to a book? Will I be teamed with folks who can play? I've traveled a fair amount. When I move to a new city you HAVE to go to jam sessions. You have to meet musicians and let people know who you are. There's a new guitar player in town. It's a pita. I ask if I can sit in and the dude stares me down. "Can you play?" Sheesh. Well, I don't know. "Yes, I can play." Then again once I was in this club in Vienna at a jam session led by another guitarist. He must've been very competitive because he always set me up with lame musicians. The best pianist, bassist, drummer and myself would talk and decide what we'd play, then the guy running the session would look at me and say, "Uh, no. I want you to play with this group." Terrible. You have to rise above that stuff. We 're playing that game, huh?