The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19
    Nuff Said Guest
    In this current economic recession, it seems even more difficult to get paid gigs, I was wondering if as a community we could share our ideas.

Quite a while back I created a CD with "User Friendly" tunes like, "Misty", "Somewhere over the Rainbow", "Autumn Leaves", "My Fav Things" etc and posted it to all the clubs/restaurants in the area. This had a small success.

Thanks
    Nuff

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nuff Said
    In this current economic recession, it seems even more difficult to get paid gigs, I was wondering if as a community we could share our ideas.

Quite a while back I created a CD with "User Friendly" tunes like, "Misty", "Somewhere over the Rainbow", "Autumn Leaves", "My Fav Things" etc and posted it to all the clubs/restaurants in the area. This had a small success.

Thanks
    Nuff
    How much they offer?
    or what?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nuff Said

Thanks
    Nuff
    Good start, but I think you need to be more "active" (rather than a "passive" posting) to get their attention. Go into the venues, meet the person who does the booking, and focus on WIIFT (what's in it for them).

User Info Menu

People pay to hear jazz guitar?!?!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Good start, but I think you need to be more "active" (rather than a "passive" posting) to get their attention. Go into the venues, meet the person who does the booking, and focus on WIIFT (what's in it for them).
    Definitely!

I don't think I've ever gotten a gig just by dropping a CD off. Gotta talk to somebody...and not just somebody, the person who does the booking.

Also, when you go in, look sharp. Don't solicit a gig at a nice restaurant while wearing old jeans and your favorite Montreal Expos sweatshirt.

User Info Menu

what about jazz clubs and festivel gigs?

User Info Menu

Around here, for the jazz clubs, you gotta have an "in." Play with others, build up a name. It's a real shame that in a city as big as Chicago you can usually count the places that have jazz on any given night on one hand.

Festival gigs are a little luck and a lot of timing...gotta have a decent press kit and know when submissions go in...definitely one case where you don't get to sell yourself personally...

User Info Menu

#1. Play something other than jazz.

Sadly, very few people listen to jazz any more. And even fewer people know what jazz is. I went to a bar in the City of London that had advertised a "jazz evening". Turned out to be a bloke doing Rat Pack karaoke-backing track stuff, and only for the first part of the evening. Having based his gig on Robbie Williams' "Swing When You're Winning" album, he apparently just did a Robbieeee tribute for the second half. I left, but not before giving the manager my full opinion on his "jazz evening". I haven't been back since, but I'm not sure I'd be welcome....

#2. If you're going to play jazz, diversify.

Play something that people will know. Given that very few people know about jazz, (see #1), go to vaguely jazzy versions of popular tunes. Unfortunately, you stand more of a chance playing pop, country, soul, or a Blues Brothers/Commitments combo. People have seen those films, and know the tunes. Sadly, they won't know "Night In Tunisia" from a hole in the ground.

#3. If you're going to play jazz and not diversify, get a singer.

Most people want to hear words. If you only play music, they will spend the entire song waiting for the singer to come in. If you're going to get a singer, you'll do even better to get a pretty girl singer. Sorry to be sound both cheesy and sexist in the same paragraph, but facts of life, I'm afraid.

Cynical? Moi? Years of bitter experience, sadly. I'm sure that someone else will give the constructive answer for which you were hoping. I'll stick with what I do best.........

User Info Menu

very bad!!!!!!!:-(

User Info Menu

you have to hustle, be on the phone a lot and have a car that gets good mileage.

User Info Menu

I think you have to live in a place that has something of a jazz awareness like New York City or New Orleans or Chicago or a place where people have money and are social like Minneapolis or Dallas or Boston. I think it is really hard no matter how good you are to find work playing jazz in places where jazz isn't already a part of the fabric of the culture. Also the best paying gigs I have are either private Society Parties or Corporate Events. Forget the clubs they don't pay unless the people drink. Restaurants are worth the trouble just keep your asking price realistic and realize that you will get more work from that gig based on being visible to a large number of people. Good Luck!

User Info Menu

In the San Diego, with a population of about 3 million, I can only think of a handful of jazz guitarists that are gigging regularly playing jazz (more than once a week, paying gigs).

There is a small group of jazz musicians in town that the gigs basically come to them.

To answer your question of "How to get more paying gigs?". And since you are talking about playing jazz.

Answer: Be the best jazz guitarist in a big city.

Now if you're not talking jazz.

Answer: Learn the bass and play soft rock, classic rock and country.
    Last edited by fep; 04-03-2012 at 01:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Definitely!

I don't think I've ever gotten a gig just by dropping a CD off. Gotta talk to somebody...and not just somebody, the person who does the booking.

Also, when you go in, look sharp. Don't solicit a gig at a nice restaurant while wearing old jeans and your favorite Montreal Expos sweatshirt.
    That would be the "Washington Senators or Nationals, Or Whatever The **** They Call Themsleves Now." And Mr. B, would any self-respecting jazz guitarist actually wear that when searching for a gig? Come on. I almost always look for jobs wearing a tux with my Jeter jersey underneath. (so close to opening day I couldn't resist)

Good advice here from all. As far as New York; believe me, it's no easier getting gigs here, all due respect to the poster above who mentioned that. The suburbs are the suburbs no matter where you are and the city has the best players in the world, so you're not getting that cool gig at "The Blue Note" with your CD of standards. In NY Metro, which comprises the five boroughs, parts of NJ, CT, all of Long Island and Westchester and Rockland counties, you have top level guys who can really play competing for very little work. The talent level is staggering.

I think you're on the right track with what you're doing, however. I agree with Mango; you've got to give them something they can take a bite of and understand, something that is going to appeal to the patrons. Be dressed for success and present yourself well. You have recognizable tunes that will appeal to an audience and that's great. I don't really know what's current but maybe try to get some current pop stuff, provided some of it actually features a harmonic structure, and throw it in there with your own take on it. Do some Beatles, James Taylor, Police, whoever. Present something that will reach out to the audience. Very important. Then you'll be asked back.

Here's what not to do. I saw some young guys playing jazz in a bookstore/coffee shop and the kid on keys announces to a largely uninteresed crowd: "We're now going to do (WAIT FOR IT)...A MODAL PIECE BY TRANE. Not John Coltrane. Not Coltrane. "Trane." They then played "So What" by Miles Davis. Badly. I was giggling so hard I almost had to shoot to the "Target" next door for a new pair of pants.

Once you get the gig, just let the music speak for itself.
    Last edited by paynow; 04-03-2012 at 04:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Funny story, Paynow!

I contacted a "big name" booking agent in LA several years ago (she booked for several restaurants that featured jazz), and she made the following questions/statements:
    - "Do you use music stands? I don't hire bands that use stands."

and

- "Do you play music from The Great American Songbook? THat's what we need to hear."

Seeing that my band played tunes by Sco, Dave Holland, Tom Harrell, etc., as well as great standards, and -- sorry -- we used stands, we did not get gigs from her.

User Info Menu

Funny story, Paynow!

I contacted a "big name" booking agent in LA several years ago (she booked for several restaurants that featured jazz), and she made the following questions/statements:

and

- "Do you play music from The Great American Songbook? THat's what we need to hear."

Seeing that my band played tunes by Sco, Dave Holland, Tom Harrell, etc., as well as great standards, and -- sorry -- we used stands, we did not get gigs from her.
    Funny story, Marcwhy!

I contacted a "big name" booking agent in LA several years ago .
    I don't use stands and play The Great American Songbook and I do not get gigs also.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Funny story, Marcwhy!

I contacted a "big name" booking agent in LA several years ago .
    I don't use stands and play The Great American Songbook and I do not get gigs also.

User Info Menu

Get a job working at Starbucks. They sell CDs there. You can make a CD using Garage Band. When people come in and look the CDs over you can say "hey I'm a jazz guitarist. Buy my recording!"
    Plus if you get a regular paycheck at Starbucks, you don't have to be a professional guitarist anymore.
    Win Win
    David
    Last edited by TH; 04-04-2012 at 08:23 AM.

User Info Menu

Funny story, Paynow!

and

I just threw out several music stands I had in a storage unit. She'd probably love me.

User Info Menu

who like jazz?