The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 62 of 62

User Info Menu

I think, as a guitar player one cannot complain about prices. Even a really good guitar is cheap compare to most other instruments. And you can always buy a used one, when you want to save some $.

Inventory sales are a great opportunity, too. I've got my two jazz guitars that way. For one I've paid 60%, for the other one only one third of the regular price.

Concerning earnings of jazz musicians:
    How many sportsmen & women are out there, who practice a lot to be good in sports, which are not present in the media? What do they earn besides of the respect of their colleagues?
    Sure, it's not fair, but that's the way it is...

Cheers, Modalguru

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Modalguru
    I
    Concerning earnings of jazz musicians:
    How many sportsmen & women are out there, who practice a lot to be good in sports, which are not present in the media? What do they earn besides of the respect of their colleagues?

Cheers, Modalguru
    Major League baseball players who you've never heard of earn a good deal of money; maybe not compared to other players with a name but they still make a great living when compared to the average person, and a fortune when compared to what jazz players make.

User Info Menu

the above is a profound observation imo - the journey is the reward ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bill C
    +1

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paynow
    Major League baseball players who you've never heard of earn a good deal of money; maybe not compared to other players with a name but they still make a great living when compared to the average person, and a fortune when compared to what jazz players make.
    I'm not talking baseball, football, soccer (Europe, South America), eishockey, etc. I'm talking waterpolo, rhythmic gymnastics, luge, etc

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bill C
    +1

User Info Menu

My aunt is a semi-pro hockey player and it costs a lotta loot to play, and she don't get paid diddle.

User Info Menu

I just learned guitar to pick up chicks. It didn't work so I started dancing. That worked and now I'm back playing guitar (because it's fun).

~DB

User Info Menu

I just thought of something. We bitch and moan about those guitars that have been placed out of our reach. We trash and bash all of those collectors that we feel don't deserve such great instruments. Well, just remember this. We never complain that we don't have access to a 57 Chevy convertible. We know that not everyone can have a 62 Jag XKE, a Shelby Cobra or a Little Deuce Coupe. The guitar may be a lot smaller but the principle is the same. At least that's my take on it. Now go ahead and argue some more. BTW, that Chet Baker CD is fantastic. I just went and got another one.

User Info Menu

I really don't buy into the "dentists and lawyers and hacks" with Benedettos (or other pricey archtops) idea anyway--I mean, you have to be into jazz to even have Benedetto on your radar, and to be into jazz you have to know some shit--very few people just drop into jazz these days--most start off in rock or blues or R&B and come to jazz--and if you're even a little bit interested in playing jazz guitar, you've gotta have some skill.

I think a player should play the best instrument they can afford...if you can afford more than I can, go for it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I think a player should play the best instrument they can afford...if you can afford more than I can, go for it!
    Yeah, like a set of wheels. Is it a tool to do a job? Is it a status symbol? Do you just like it? Is it an investment?

User Info Menu

I guess to a certain extent a guitar can be a status symbol, but I honestly think you see that less with archtops...In my "dinner party" playing, I've been to plenty of folks' houses who have got some serious dough and are also serious hacks on the guitar, but they always seem to gravitate towards expensive strats and les pauls and anything their "blooze" hero played.

But that's just my experience...