The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 45 of 45

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ksjazzguitar

...essay on my web site. You can check it out if you'd like:
    great site and playing also, lots of useful material, good to have guys like you here
    take care
    Kerim

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by musicjohnny
    I let my heart do the playing and everything went well.
    i like that

User Info Menu

Read Kenny Werner's Effortless Mastery.

This is a long term "problem" that involves ones feelings about him/herself, preparedness, confidence, personality type, perceived threat, ability to stay centered, ability to practice relaxation, ability to remain inner-directed under fire. People deal in different ways with this, but I know many friends, and myself, have benefitted from Kenny's book as a starting point.

User Info Menu

Very good topic...I was reminded that I have not read "The Inner Game of Music" so I just went to ebay and bought it.

I also found "The Art of Practicing" to be helpful, as someone mentioned above. Great post! thanks!

User Info Menu

I just come back from club and for me it was good because i enjoyed it, played mr. pc and billys bounce my legs got little bit shakey in begining but after it was ok, i dont know how but i didnt have that paralizing fear like before, atmosphere was diferent somehow i get over it as soon as first drum beat was played.This one i owe to you guys, you helped me. Got invited to play next monday

All the best
    Kerim

User Info Menu

I just come back from club and for me it was good because i enjoyed it, played mr. pc and billys bounce my legs got little bit shakey in begining but after it was ok, i dont know how but i didnt have that paralizing fear like before, atmosphere was diferent somehow i get over it as soon as first drum beat was played.This one i owe to you guys, you helped me. Got invited to play next monday

All the best
    Kerim

User Info Menu

outstanding thread

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by abdke99

All the best
    Kerim
    For me Mr. Pc is magic. A couple times that I played on live gigs, I was kinda nervious, but we started with that song and I just started to have fun and get relaxed, don't know why, but that song releases the tension very good.

User Info Menu

Great! Really happy to hear that Kerim. All the best 0zoro

User Info Menu

That great to hear, I love the adrenaline rush after a good gig.

User Info Menu

Congrats, Kerim! Cool that you've been asked back, too.

User Info Menu

That is so awesome. I'm going to go to bed with a smile on my face just hearing about it. I'm so happy for you.

Peace,
    Kevin

User Info Menu

Congratulations!!!

Now-watch out for that adrenaline in the future gigs. After the rush comes the down-realize it's just the adrenaline. After most gigs these days I just go and get a cigarette on my own somewhere quiet, just to let it flush from my system.

User Info Menu

Glad it worked out! All you needed was that confidence. "Mr. PC" and "Billie's Bounce" are great choices; two of my favorites to play on a job. In most of the places I play they think "Mr. PC" is the name of the local computer repair company.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paynow
    "Mr. PC" is the name of the local computer repair company.
    lol

User Info Menu

thanks everybody for support really means a lot to me

User Info Menu

I have a follow-up for this post. Having now read both of the Inner Game of Music books, I can say without reservation that I do not recommend them for dealing with performance anxiety issues. They struck me as fadish pop psychology books with their own language and a system for basically ignoring important parts of onesself. In a nut shell, I found Kenny Werner's Effortless Mastery book to be much more in line with depth psychologists who aim to integrate all aspects of onesself, "warts and all". That level of integration and honesty - I think - is more in keeping with the making of real music. I think Bruser's "The Art of Practicing" is a helpful book too, very honest. The Inner Game books just felt too much like a corporate seminar to me, and also very dated, like 70s and 80s pop pyschology.

I put both Inner game books in the recycling bin...I did not want to pass them on.

User Info Menu

I have a follow-up for this post. Having now read both of the Inner Game of Music books, I can say without reservation that I do not recommend them for dealing with performance anxiety issues. They struck me as fadish pop psychology books with their own language and a system for basically ignoring important parts of onesself. In a nut shell, I found Kenny Werner's Effortless Mastery book to be much more in line with depth psychologists who aim to integrate all aspects of onesself, "warts and all". That level of integration and honesty - I think - is more in keeping with the making of real music. I think Bruser's "The Art of Practicing" is a helpful book too, very honest. The Inner Game books just felt too much like a corporate seminar to me, and also very dated, like 70s and 80s pop pyschology.

I put both Inner game books in the recycling bin...I did not want to pass them on.

User Info Menu

Do what you need to do to get up there but don't look the people in the eye. Eye contact makes it all so personal between you and the audience. Act like you are looking at them but don't. Look above there heads and smile.

User Info Menu

I figure the audience should be the one that is afraid of me....