The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

A little more eclectic than the average jam.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Well it has been 5 years since I posted this question. I figured that by now someone would have answered! I have limited time on earth (as do we all). That is why I wisely decided not to follow the recommendations that started like this "first learn all the notes on the neck, then learn all the modes, then learn to sight read, etc...". At this point (5 years later) I am an OK comp-er and a fair to midland soloist (very reliant on the blues and arpeggios). I think that as long as I know the song I can at least play a reasonable tune called on the bandstand. But I must know the tune! So I ask again, in 2019, what are the 30 must know jazz tunes called at the "fantasy" jazz jam? Can I play them in standard realbook keys?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Some tunes called on a jam I go to in NYC: All Of Me, After You Gone, Dinah, Them There Eyes, Cherokee, I Saw Stars, I Can't Give You Anything But Love, Tea For Two, Avalon, If I Had You.

That's more like hot jazz one, but that's the one I like and recommend. I love those tunes.

But if you go to more regular/straightahead/contemporary jams, very different vibe, and tunes. Last time I was on one of those I called Out Of Nowhere, and the sax player just packed his horn and and stepped out off the stage. All they wanna play tunes like Jeanine, Beatrice, Inner Urge, complex shit. Not for me.

User Info Menu

5 years? I think you need an arithmetic refresher.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    I stream the jam on the web...
    Would love to see/hear it! What's the URL, Reg?
    Thanks
    SJ

User Info Menu

If I was hosting a Jazz Jam I'd want to call songs that were appropriate to satisfy and still challenge the various "levels" of jazzer jammers. To me that would mean calling songs from maybe three broad categories to fit the folks on stage:- 1) simpler blues Jazz songs that offer a range of soloing possibilities like "All Blues" for the less experienced or "Angel Eyes" for the more moderately experienced... songs that they can play and enjoy, try out ideas, and learn something. That is what keeps a jam alive; happy returning jammers.- 2) popular standards (swing, bop, bossa, modal) for the more advanced that use books on stage or enjoy playing by ear. Same as above, but more.- 3) some challenging tunes like "Stella" et al for those well advanced and eager to push their ears and chops. Hopefully this minimizes any cross-level "cutting" - channeling personal adversarial motivation more toward public advertisement and inspiration. A good Jazz jam, like this forum, certainly benefits from the participation of top notch players!

User Info Menu

I've gone a few times to a very nice jam hosted by Tony Peebles, who is a terrific player and a great host. There's a house band -- and they play some pretty advanced stuff. On the nights I've gone, I was given an opportunity to pick two tunes. One time I picked I Should Care and Tony asked me to pick another because he didn't think the younger horn players at the jam would know it. I called Another You instead and that went fine. Mostly, it's original illegal Real Book tunes. I never saw a soloist read, but I did notice that the organist (who kicks bass) had his phone on the organ which I think was running IRealPro. On the tunes I knew, it was the IRealPro changes. I never saw anybody reading melody.

User Info Menu

In upstate New York Schenectady area and beyond there are none that I know of.

There was one for a while but it degenerated into a " I can play more and louder notes than anyone else and blame the rhythm section for my bad timing ".

I tried to get a Real Book Jam going last fall but it was a miserable failure. Most of the reaction I got was "what's a Real Book".

User Info Menu

@Hep - yeah, as if modern jazz sax players never play Out of Nowhere lol....

Who are these people, haha, and have they ever listened to a record in their lives? Jam session zoology...