The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

So, my teacher told my that my next evolutionary step is to actually go out and play in front of people... something I have successfully avoided for many a year. In fact, the last time was 1993 or 94. I am a nervous wreck, but it will be a i nice, small Italian Restaurant. I will be seated in a corner, on a Sunday evening 7-9. So, here is my set list... Any suggestions, feedback, recommendations? It's just me doing fairly basic chord melodies:

Misty
    Darn That Dream
    Spring Can Rally Hang You Up Most
    You Go To My Head
    But Not For Me
    What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life
    Django
    Black Orpheus
    the Intro to Del Corazon by Spyro Gyra
    Summertime
    Autumn Leaves
    One Note Samba
    Goodbye
    If I loved You
    My Funny Valentine
    God Bless the Child

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Take a long break in the middle. Otherwise, each song will have to cover 7.5 minutes.

User Info Menu

Good list, Matt, but you'll need about 30 songs (4 minutes each) if you're going to play for 2 hours unless you talk alot in between songs or take a long break in the middle.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kenbennett
    Take a long break in the middle. Otherwise, each song will have to cover 7.5 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol
    Good list, Matt, but you'll need about 30 songs (4 minutes each) if you're going to play for 2 hours unless you talk alot in between songs or take a long break in the middle.
    Oy! I was hoping I could just repeat them and no one would notice.

I think I can get 4 minutes out of each song without sucking too much. I better come up with 10-15 more.

Fear is my friend... fear is my friend...

User Info Menu

Whenever I do a setlist for a solo gig, I divide the songs I'm planning on playing into "slow" "medium" and "up" categories. I try to mix up each set with a good number of each. If it's one long set, I try to space things out, however, my usual is 45 minute sets (2 or 3) and short breaks in between.

Like others have said, I count on 4 minutes a tune...if I'm really feeling it, some certainly might go longer...sometimes things need to be scratched...no biggie...always better to go in with more than less.

Restaurant gigs, you gotta figure most folks, unless they're really living it up, are there an hour to an hour and a half...therefore you can repeat (although I try not to--however tips speak!)

User Info Menu

Hey Matt, you didn't tell me you had this lined up. A couple of things, first congrats! This will be the best thing for you, without a doubt. As you know, I had to give up my weekly restaurant gig in May due to work, but those 3 years were invaluable.

Yes, you can get by with repeating those tunes, as people will turn over within an hour. So as long as the manager doesn't care, no biggie. What will probably happen though, is you will want more tunes, so it will drive you to pick up more. I agree with Tom, 30 tunes is a good goal to get to. Be sure and let me know when you are playing.

User Info Menu

Hey Matt,

Good luck with your gig.

If you could please elaborate as to how you came about this gig. This sounds like the ideal type of scenario that I would like to do. I have been playing for years, but I don't really play out much. I have done a couple open mics, but frankly I'd prefer to sit in the corner and work in the background.

Thanks,
    Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by msr13
    Oy! I was hoping I could just repeat them and no one would notice. ...I think I can get 4 minutes out of each song without sucking too much. I better come up with 10-15 more. ...
    Some will notice of course, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I've found I can stretch some solo songs out to 6-7 minutes. Joe pass would often have a rubato intro out front - this can easily add an extra 30-60 seconds to a tune (sometimes I'll just make up and intro, sometimes I'll use the changes of the bridge.) Sometimes he would play the melody once rubato, then once in time. Don't forget to put a solo of some kind in the middle - doesn't have to be complicated, probably shouldn't be for this gig.

Yeah, the first solo gigs are scary. Just go and do your best. Realize that most those people are going to be absolutely amazed at what you can do with a guitar. Remember that this is background music so it's not meant to be "intense" or "intricate," just give them a pleasant background for their conversations. Really, it probably sounds much better than you think it does.

And don't forget to have fun. And don't forget to smile at the people. If you get scared, just forget about the people and play for yourself.

Peace,
    Kevin

User Info Menu

As a bit of an aside, my guitar teacher has a gig like this, and he uses the opportunity to practice improvising chord-melodies. He doesn't even prepare a setlist, he just brings his fakebook, flips to a tune and sight reads it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by max_power
    As a bit of an aside, my guitar teacher has a gig like this, and he uses the opportunity to practice improvising chord-melodies. He doesn't even prepare a setlist, he just brings his fakebook, flips to a tune and sight reads it.
    Realy? Damn, I wish I could do that.......

User Info Menu

Good evening, Matt...
    Hearty congratulations, sounds just right (and if your teacher says 'you're ready', who are you to argue..?).
    I looked up a few titles from the Vanilla book, and found a few suited perhaps to restaurant gigs (Italian or otherwise...)...

Bernie’s Tuna
    How Long has This Been Going Off
    I Can’t Get Starved
    My Foolish Heartburn
    My One and Only Loaf
    Sophisticated Ladle
    There is no Greater Loaf
    Sugary
    I’ll Remember Apricots

Hope these help...

Please tell us how it went, and, just to give you some encouragement, remember: It's the first forty years that are the hardest, after which things get (slightly...) better.
    Have a great time...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Whenever I do a setlist for a solo gig, I divide the songs I'm planning on playing into "slow" "medium" and "up" categories. I try to mix up each set with a good number of each. If it's one long set, I try to space things out, however, my usual is 45 minute sets (2 or 3) and short breaks in between.

Like others have said, I count on 4 minutes a tune...if I'm really feeling it, some certainly might go longer...sometimes things need to be scratched...no biggie...always better to go in with more than less.

Restaurant gigs, you gotta figure most folks, unless they're really living it up, are there an hour to an hour and a half...therefore you can repeat (although I try not to--however tips speak!)
    Very helpful on the timing, Mr. B. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by derek
    Hey Matt, you didn't tell me you had this lined up. A couple of things, first congrats! This will be the best thing for you, without a doubt. As you know, I had to give up my weekly restaurant gig in May due to work, but those 3 years were invaluable.

Yes, you can get by with repeating those tunes, as people will turn over within an hour. So as long as the manager doesn't care, no biggie. What will probably happen though, is you will want more tunes, so it will drive you to pick up more. I agree with Tom, 30 tunes is a good goal to get to. Be sure and let me know when you are playing.
    I will. I thought I told you the other night. Sorry. Yeah, you inspired me, so I talked with my teach about whether I was capable and ready. He said, "no", but go for it anyway. My learning curve will be exponentially quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_k
    If you could please elaborate as to how you came about this gig. This sounds like the ideal type of scenario that I would like to do. I have been playing for years, but I don't really play out much. I have done a couple open mics, but frankly I'd prefer to sit in the corner and work in the background.
    Sure. It is a restaurant I frequent, near my house. I know the owner. They are pretty small and don't normally offer entertainment. I approached him. Told him that I wanted to play. Warned him that it was my first time, and that if you put me in front of people, I may stink. I also warned him that I am probably capable of playing a decent wallpaper gig, but that was it. I shared with him that my goal was to learn. It was important to me to manage expectation-- especially since I was approaching him. He agreed. I don't know if it will last, or if I will like it, or what will happen, but I figure it can't hurt by development as a player at this point.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ksjazzguitar
    And don't forget to have fun. And don't forget to smile at the people. If you get scared, just forget about the people and play for yourself.
    Thanks, Kevin. Great advice all around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Realy? Damn, I wish I could do that.......
    Me, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad3353
    Hearty congratulations, sounds just right (and if your teacher says 'you're ready', who are you to argue..?).
    Thanks a lot, Dad. I will certainly look those songs up. The plan is for me to play after the New Year. Once the owner said yes, I figured I need to give myself some time to prepare and totally psych myself out.

User Info Menu

Besides mixing the set order for rhythmic variety, be careful not to play consecutive songs that are in the same key, it really creates a drone with background music.

User Info Menu

I like the set-liest, have a good gig, I am sure you will be fine!
    Are you using the Collings?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Soco
    I like the set-liest, have a good gig, I am sure you will be fine!
    Are you using the Collings?
    Either that or the Jimmy Bruno. Thanks, Jostein.

User Info Menu

Oh, you have one of those also-nice!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by msr13
    Very helpful on the timing, Mr. B. Much appreciated.

I will. I thought I told you the other night. Sorry. Yeah, you inspired me, so I talked with my teach about whether I was capable and ready. He said, "no", but go for it anyway. My learning curve will be exponentially quicker.

Sure. It is a restaurant I frequent, near my house. I know the owner. They are pretty small and don't normally offer entertainment. I approached him. Told him that I wanted to play. Warned him that it was my first time, and that if you put me in front of people, I may stink. I also warned him that I am probably capable of playing a decent wallpaper gig, but that was it. I shared with him that my goal was to learn. It was important to me to manage expectation-- especially since I was approaching him. He agreed. I don't know if it will last, or if I will like it, or what will happen, but I figure it can't hurt by development as a player at this point.
    That's great. Good luck with it. Keep us posted on how it goes. If you find that you are in need of filling time, have you considered a blues improv? Also, you can't go wrong with adding a Beatles tune or two.
    Last edited by mike_k; 11-28-2010 at 11:53 PM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

Hey Matt,

How did the gig go? Get any response from the room?

Best,
    Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dad3353

remember: It's the first forty years that are the hardest, after which things get (slightly...) better.
    Have a great time...
    Oh, great!

So by the time I'm a hundred and one things are going to get (slightly....) better?

User Info Menu

Congratulations. I look forward to hearing about how things went.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Davidh
    ...So by the time I'm a hundred and one things are going to get (slightly....) better?...
    Isn't that indeed good news, David? At what else would you be (slightly...) better at 101? It's only this (slight...) hope and optimism that keeps me going..!