Jazz Guitar
Learn how to play jazz guitar with our eBook bundle
+ Reply to Thread

Forum threads uploaded to scribd - copyright issues

Thought I'd bring this to attention

Search | Scribd

likely there are other threads there too...poke around I think you'll see why I thought this was worth bringing up
    Oh, hi - if interested, I post a lot of playing/practice clips at www.instagram.com/JakeEstner

Thanks, Jake. I had not heard of this.
    "I know nothing about the subject, and despite that have no opinion." Eugene Volokh

What the **** ?!?

Once I was searching the web for info on bi-tonality.
    One link led me to a chart on Scribd that I had previously posted on some forum thread here.
    Although I have no commercial interest in the content, it still felt weird that someone presented my
    pdf as their own work. I don't know much about that site, but perhaps members are supposed
    to contribute something like on some academic research paper sites.

chart attached
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by bako View Post
    Once I was searching the web for info on bi-tonality.
    One link led me to a chart on Scribd that I had previously posted on some forum thread here.
    Although I have no commercial interest in the content, it still felt weird that someone presented my
    pdf as their own work. I don't know much about that site, but perhaps members are supposed
    to contribute something like on some academic research paper sites.

chart attached
    I didn't have the time to include yesterday, but scribd has paid account options at $8.99/month. So I'm not clear on all the details, but in certain circumstances people get access to our saved forum threads for their paid membership.

Similarly I have no commercial interest in the content, but it's not right for someone else to be making direct profit on our posts (Except for the owners of Jazz Guitar Online - Free Jazz Guitar Lessons, Tabs, Chords & Charts, who make I guess you could say a very indirect profit on our contributions.)
    Oh, hi - if interested, I post a lot of playing/practice clips at www.instagram.com/JakeEstner

I don't know how this company is legally doing commerce. This is some black-market Third World enterprise? About copyright | Scribd
    Text found this link is complete BS. They catalog the illegal content they have on that site , post links to it which can be found easily via Google etc., using the title , author etc. of the copyrighted material.

You simply CAN'T do all of that, AND insist that you DON'T know about the legality of what's posted or insist that you're not responsible.

Why isn't every Attorney General and lawyer after this company? They aren't selling memberships to people who merely want cloud storage which costs twice as much as legit cloud storage services. People are paying to steal books easily.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

Honestly makes me wonder if it isn't the publishing companies themselves , chloroforming publishing, the same way that music industrialists have killed the music industry for artists. I mean music publishing companies are making tons of money on Spotify and YouTube. Make no mistake. They're squeezing the last bit of life out of that industry at the expense of the people who made it.

Maybe the publishing companies will come in and "save the day" with something like Spotify and YouTube.

very suspicious. I mean, publishing companies have all of the resources to track the stuff down and shut it down, even if they did it one at a time basis, daily. They have vastly more resources than the authors and fans, who are going to this place and finding this stuff. I mean, all of this can be done with automation nowadays. The minute a song is put up on YouTube nowadays, the machines automatically know the tune, even if it's a COVER, completely different, and they'll put an ad on it, so that the COMPANIES can monetize it.

My question is: why aren't these COMPANIES doing this , in the first place, on BEHALF of artists, BEFORE they have to come in and "save the day", negotiating for peanuts for artists? So corrupt. If they can do it for YouTube and Spotify, I think they could do it regardless. Bad enough on free sharing sites, but this huge site actually making tons of money from subscriptions Illegally selling it? Sickening.

Sheesh. I need to log off.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 06-14-2018 at 03:59 PM.

Before it changed, Scribed was quite good. You could go onto it and get a free read of interesting stuff!

The other month I tried to get in again and, as has been pointed out, the monthly sub is about £8 or so. BUT they want you pay up front. That is, they want your bank details before you can get in. Then, if you don't want to continue, you can cancel it.

I rang them up and said this was most unusual. Software companies, for example, give you a month's free trial then you pay to continue. The person I talked to ummed and ahhd and tried to excuse it. I told him you don't pay a store to browse and asking for payment details before a service is provided was sharp practice and rang off.

Now this.

Scribd posted all of Jack Zucker's book without his knowledge, permission or paying him royalties. There is a thread on this somewhere on the forum. Sounds like Scribd is as honest as a $3 bill.
    Beauty is as close to terror as we can well endure. -Rainer Maria Rilke

Seems I am coming across more and more thefts of intellectual property.

It went on years ago, with people stealing songs and invention ideas, but the internet has turned it into a fine art. You original idea can end up halfway around the world in someone else's hands, and they get paid but you don't.

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed