The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

Garrison Fewell's life's work is complete. He passed early this morning after a rich life and the shadow of cancer which took his life, but not his spirit. His mark will continue and be felt through all who were touched by his music and his teachings.
    David

Garrison Fewell an extraordinary life ends-screen-shot-2015-07-05-12-22-59-pm-png
    Last edited by TH; 07-12-2015 at 05:56 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

And so, I deleted a silly poll that I made up.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 07-05-2015 at 01:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Very sorry to hear that.
    Rest in Peace.

User Info Menu

A fine musician has crossed the veil. I saw Garrison perform back in the Ninties. He will be missed. RIP.

User Info Menu

I really respected the man after reading a bit about his life. He never succumbed to the trappings of the "unexamined life".

his book on triads and melodic development is very elegant and excellent.

User Info Menu

Heartbroken by the news. His legacy will live on in the form of his music and excellent teachings, and by the people he touched in his all too brief time with us.

Ted

User Info Menu

How sad.
    Yet how fortunate the rest of us are that his music and teaching will live on.

User Info Menu

A bit of Garrison live

Last edited by MarkRhodes; 07-05-2015 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Changed link

User Info Menu

In my book Sundays have been always sad, but not as sad as this one.
    A terrible miss for the jazz community and for all of us.
    Last edited by sjl; 07-05-2015 at 02:09 PM.

User Info Menu

I am very sad.
    I found the pic in my comp from 1994.
    We worked at guitar workshop in Poland.
    He will be in my heart forever.
    Attachment 21463

User Info Menu

Vey sorry to hear this! Such a beautiful player, writer and human being. So sad.

User Info Menu

TruthHertz,

I probably speak for many in saying our heart goes out to you and all of those that loved and appreciated Garrison. He was kind enough to respond to my emails when I had questions about one of his books.

In my mind, Garrison's struggles and pain are gone, and I am happy for him in having a life well-lived.

For us, the pain and stuggles go on, without our comrade, Mr. Garrison Fewell, but we have his teachings, both about music, and by example, about living life.

RIP

User Info Menu

Very sorry to hear this. Great jazz guitar teacher. RIP.

User Info Menu

Profoundly sad.

User Info Menu

I am thankful to have encountered his music and books.. rest easy Garrison.

User Info Menu

In the wind down after what turned out to be Garrison's last notes, we were sharing amusing stories of people we'd encountered on tour. He was playing a festival in Europe, Miles Davis was there playing a much larger stage at headline and at the end of the day musicians filed into their respective hotels.
    Garrison gets on the elevator and the doors begin to close. They're stopped and Garrison steps back, Miles walks in turns his back and the door closes. He's thinking "Jeeze, Miles Davis is in the elevator with me. Should I say something?" and he lets the elevator proceed to the top floor penthouse so not to interrupt the ride. All the time up the long ride, there's complete silence, Garrison is overwhelmingly aware of the presence of the man standing inches in front of him. Finally the doors open to a palatial top floor and Miles steps out, hesitates, and turns back. His raspy whisper croaks out "Man. Thanks for respecting the silence." and the doors close.

Garrison. Your lessons on space are a life time's work. We'll be listening.
    David

User Info Menu

[By now, three threads have merged here. I suspect we might have another one or two before this sad day ends.]

User Info Menu

I just saw this sad news on Facebook a few minutes ago. He was a great musician and teacher who unselfishly shared his knowledge with the world. Rest well.

User Info Menu

I was lucky to have studied with him during my time at Berklee, he was a very very good man always passing on encouragement and very real and true wisdom. Thank you Mr. Garrison Rest In Peace.

User Info Menu

Sad news... the trio video you posted is great by the way, really beautiful solos

User Info Menu

Terribly sad news, a wonderful spirit, musician and educator.

User Info Menu

Mark.
    Thanks for this video , very sad to hear that we have lost such
    an extraordinary Jazz player and Tutor, we at least have the
    legacy of his remarkable books. RIP Garrison, you will be greatly
    missed by the entire Jazz Fraternity

Alan
    Last edited by silverfoxx; 07-08-2015 at 03:34 AM.

User Info Menu

his books are such a great legacy.

User Info Menu

If you are a New Englander and/or want to pay tribute,
    A memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. on Sunday, July 19, at SGI USA, 930 Commonwealth Ave., Boston, MA 02215; (617) 264-2000.
    David

User Info Menu

Very sad. I have one of his books and it is an excellent study.